Showing off my parrot

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Showing off my parrot

Post by cranky »

Just finished my parrot and thought I would show it off. So here are the Pictures.
P2.JPG
P5.JPG
P7.JPG
P9.JPG
It is 1" pipe with 1/4" from the mug to the base and from the overflow to the jar. I used 1/4 to try to keep total volume it holds down. I was worried about flow rate but tested it and it is capable of handling a flow rate of 1Qt every 1 minute 15 seconds. My still can put out at a rate of 1Qt every 4 minutes 28 seconds so I know it can handle anything I throw at it.
Last edited by cranky on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Showing off my parrot

Post by firewater69 »

Nice work Cranky!
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
Killrb13
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Killrb13 »

Looks nice!
"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

firewater69 wrote:Nice work Cranky!
Killrb13 wrote:Looks nice!
Thank you, I don't think it photographed as well as it looks in real life.
Killrb13
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Killrb13 »

Did you do the woodwork too? I like the base, nice touch!
"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"
Da Yooper
Swill Maker

Post by Da Yooper »

Very nice, great work :clap:
Fail to plan == plan to fail
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Killrb13 wrote:Did you do the woodwork too? I like the base, nice touch!
Yes, I happened to have a short piece of board left over from making a fat cat window sill so I figured out the basic size I wanted, folded a piece of paper into quarters and sketched it out. Then cut the paper out and used it for a template to cut it out with my scroll saw. A few months ago my wife bought me a set of really nice router bits so I then used one of those to quickly route the edges. The actual woodworking only took a few minutes, The staining and clear coat took a bit longer.
Da Yooper wrote:Very nice, great work :clap:
Thank you.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Nice touch with the handled mug....

As long as a friend doesnt come over and try to get a mugfull while the still is runnin' ..

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

First thing that came to mind when I saw your parrot:

I'll hush up my mug if you fill up my jug with that good ol mountain dew!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

ranger_ric wrote:Nice touch with the handled mug....

As long as a friend doesnt come over and try to get a mugfull while the still is runnin' ..

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank you. The mug actually came about because I wanted to leave the exit tubes for my new shotgun exposed and I needed something big enough to fit under 3ea 1/2" tubes. looking through my box of scrap copper I found this mug and since my new rig will be made from dollar store mugs, I thought that was the perfect thing to make it out of. So I used a 1/2" drive extension and tapped it in the bottom until it was curved, then soldered it to the existing 1/2" cup.
StillLearning1 wrote:First thing that came to mind when I saw your parrot:

I'll hush up my mug if you fill up my jug with that good ol mountain dew!
Thats funny right there. :lol:
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Wow, You got one of dem 3 barreled shotguns.????

I would a made sure that was in the picture too..!!!

Nice work Cranky.
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

ranger_ric wrote:Wow, You got one of dem 3 barreled shotguns.????

I would a made sure that was in the picture too..!!!

Nice work Cranky.
Hows this
S4.png
Last edited by cranky on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

:thumbup: THAT'S what I am Talkin' 'Bout...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lolno:
No One Can Help You...
No One can STOP you!!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Here are a few more pics to try to show a few things a little better.
This first one shows the curve of the beak which I liked the aesthetics of.
P10.JPG
This next two show the overflow which I hammered out myself, mostly because it was the cheapest way to go.
P11.JPG
P12.JPG
and the last one is just an overall from above.
P16.JPG
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Nice work. I especially like the handled mug. I just can't understand why I'm feeling like I want a Moscow Mule right now....
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I also like the handle, I got a free sample of granite from the company that sells counters etc. I caped the bottom of my parrot, drilled down the granite part way and glued it in. I really like the extra weight and the balance it provides and the cost of the base was only a trip to the granite store for a free sample.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Euphoria wrote:Nice work. I especially like the handled mug. I just can't understand why I'm feeling like I want a Moscow Mule right now....
Thank you, it does make you want a Moscow mule doesn't it? I got that mug in a box of stuff I bought for other stuff, I actually thought about building a column out of a bunch of these mugs but they are kind of pricey on eBay when you start getting a bunch of them and one by itself isn't worth the effort of selling so it went in my copper horde for future consideration. If you look at the picture of it under the shotgun you can see the column is also mugs so it just seemed right to put it there.
Bushman wrote:I also like the handle, I got a free sample of granite from the company that sells counters etc. I caped the bottom of my parrot, drilled down the granite part way and glued it in. I really like the extra weight and the balance it provides and the cost of the base was only a trip to the granite store for a free sample.
I read that about your base when I was researching the other day. Somewhere I think I have an oval granite sink cutout that a place gave my son for doing leather work. I also have several granite places near me and might consider adding a bit of granite in there to give it a bit of additional stability. Thanks for the idea.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Great job :thumbup: That hand hammered part nearly cost me a finger while circle cutting a piece of split and flattened 2" to form the overflow cup . Clamp failure on the drill press . Shit happens :oops: Few hours and a gazillion stitches at Urgent Care and I was back to hammering copper . They did titter a lot when they realized that my first aid had been a Tampax and a wrap of duct tape to contain the wound while I finished the cut .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Truckinbutch wrote:Great job :thumbup: That hand hammered part nearly cost me a finger while circle cutting a piece of split and flattened 2" to form the overflow cup . Clamp failure on the drill press . Shit happens :oops: Few hours and a gazillion stitches at Urgent Care and I was back to hammering copper . They did titter a lot when they realized that my first aid had been a Tampax and a wrap of duct tape to contain the wound while I finished the cut .
Ouch! I tend to be a bit accident prone and cut myself but knock on wood it hasn't happened in a while because I have kevlar gloves. I have a big scar on the palm of my left hand from many years ago when I learned that lesson. I actually made the overflow cup from a square piece and used a big socket and a flat slab of firewood for a shaping tool. No power tools involved until I made it round with a bench sander. The seam you can see in the overflow was never cut, it was just folded over and soldered. I kind of wish I had a second mug that could have been used for the overflow.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I split 2" tube and flattened it .Then clamped it on the drill press to hole saw a 3" circle . Clamp failed and my left index finger was in the way of the first revolution of that crude 4 point lawnmower blade . Large knuckle to finger tip laceration . What can I say ? I duct taped one of the old lady's bleed rags around it and was hammering copper when she came home and caught me . Aggravating delay on my project to go to Urgent Care to get stitched up . Cute little gal that did the quilt work ........
>I was beginning to develop an interest in her when SOH told me she was done stitching and it was time for her to take me home :crazy:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Truckinbutch wrote:I split 2" tube and flattened it .Then clamped it on the drill press to hole saw a 3" circle . Clamp failed and my left index finger was in the way of the first revolution of that crude 4 point lawnmower blade . Large knuckle to finger tip laceration . What can I say ? I duct taped one of the old lady's bleed rags around it and was hammering copper when she came home and caught me . Aggravating delay on my project to go to Urgent Care to get stitched up . Cute little gal that did the quilt work ........
>I was beginning to develop an interest in her when SOH told me she was done stitching and it was time for her to take me home :crazy:
You are much more high tech than I am. To use a drill press I have to take stuff to work with me and work on it in my spare time. I don't know how I would explain "I cut myself drilling copper" :oops: I don't have any 2" but I have bits and pieces of sheet and some dinner plates I bought for $5 and people wonder what I'm up to when I walk in with a bag or box of copper parts. One week I was drilling the bottoms out of a bunch of glass mugs and the boss caught me and asked what I was doing. "Making bottomless beer mugs of course". I thought I was going to get told to knock it off and get back to work but all he did was ask about the whole procedure and where I got the hole saw and then asked me to drill some holes in some old jugs to turn them into lights. But if I got hurt doing stuff for myself they would probably put a screeching halt to my goofy activities. If I cut myself at home, I have been known to wrap my hand and finish what I was doing then tell the wife and she stitches me up. Not very fun without anesthetic so I definitely recommend those kevlar gloves.
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Nice!!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cranky wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:I split 2" tube and flattened it .Then clamped it on the drill press to hole saw a 3" circle . Clamp failed and my left index finger was in the way of the first revolution of that crude 4 point lawnmower blade . Large knuckle to finger tip laceration . What can I say ? I duct taped one of the old lady's bleed rags around it and was hammering copper when she came home and caught me . Aggravating delay on my project to go to Urgent Care to get stitched up . Cute little gal that did the quilt work ........
You are much more high tech than I am. To use a drill press I have to take stuff to work with me and work on it in my spare time. I don't know how I would explain "I cut myself drilling copper" :oops: I don't have any 2" but I have bits and pieces of sheet and some dinner plates I bought for $5 and people wonder what I'm up to when I walk in with a bag or box of copper parts. One week I was drilling the bottoms out of a bunch of glass mugs and the boss caught me and asked what I was doing. "Making bottomless beer mugs of course". I thought I was going to get told to knock it off and get back to work but all he did was ask about the whole procedure and where I got the hole saw and then asked me to drill some holes in some old jugs to turn them into lights. But if I got hurt doing stuff for myself they would probably put a screeching halt to my goofy activities. If I cut myself at home, I have been known to wrap my hand and finish what I was doing then tell the wife and she stitches me up. Not very fun without anesthetic so I definitely recommend those kevlar gloves.
MCH has seen my shop and some of my work . He avows that I could build anything from a (?)forget how he put it , to a space ship . When you hang around the band wagon long enough you are bound to get hit with the horn .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Scribbler wrote:Nice!!
Thank you. :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Truckinbutch wrote:
cranky wrote:
MCH has seen my shop and some of my work . He avows that I could build anything from a (?)forget how he put it , to a space ship . When you hang around the band wagon long enough you are bound to get hit with the horn .
That's true. Some day I hope to have a nice big shop but for now I have to take stuff to work where there is one. People at work wonder what I'm doing but are afraid to ask me. When I had just finished rebuilding my controller I had it sitting in plain sight and the big wig regional boss came in. He looked at it and said "I don't even want to know" So I volunteered. I said "It's a controller for my rail gun so I can shoot copper nails into the trees that are blocking my view". His response actually surprised me. He said "Really!? Can you bring it over to my house? I have some trees I would like to get rid of too!" :problem: So I had to confess that it was a controller for the beer brewing system I was making. :wink:
Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Full_moon »

That's as good as it gets. A low bend, and a hats off sweep to you.
gotq4u
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by gotq4u »

Nice work!
Lifes hard, it's even harder if your stupid!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Thanks, I would like to confess something though, as I have used this parrot I have found that I believe due to the 1/4" diameter inlet tube it is subject to air locking if it is not run carefully at the beginning. The first bit must be let in slowly and I find it's best to leave the hydrometer out until the liquid is visible in the 1" tube. If it is run too fast at the beginning it can actually fill the mug to overflowing without filling the 1" tube, giving the tube a light pop with my hand will begin it flowing but I think I am going to replace the 1/4" tube with 3/8th and see how that works.
White_Lightning_Rod
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by White_Lightning_Rod »

I use 1/4" in and out of mine and have had no problems at all. Just looking at your inlet tube I would venture to guess that the short portion right before it enters the body looks almost level, If you could bend the inlet tube to have more of a slope in that portion I would think it wouldn’t be as susceptible to vapor locking. Just a guess. Would be easier to try that first rather than replacing the tube I would think.
HD forum, the best damn group of criminals and outlaws you'll ever meet.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

1/4" is working fine on mine . Inlet cup is 2" above top of 1" tube overflow and I put the hydrometer in at the start of first drips .