essencier / florentine flask build

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Massassi
Bootlegger

essencier / florentine flask build

Post by Massassi »

good day all. i'm looking at building an essencier / florentine flask for use with essential oils but i have only read about them online.

if you have one, or have seen one can you tell me about how far apart (or even?) the heights on the two take offs are? i was considering having the one coming off of the bottom of the flask slightly below the oil take off. Then mounting it with a needle valve so that i can adjust flow rate, and in theory collect from both at a given time.

i understand that most experience here has to do with spirits, but any help would be helpful.
sonnyplumb
Novice

Re: essencier / florentine flask build

Post by sonnyplumb »

I'd guess without having made such a device, that you'd be able to take the hydrosols out from the bottom output feed automatically, but would have to observe, decide and tap the output of the essential oils from the top output carefully due to needing to make sure there is oil and not water in the top section before running this out. I'd guess the height differences of the output streams would need to take into consideration the different densities of the oil and hydrosols to be produced to keep the weight balance stable so the oil output would be very slightly higher. It would seem logical if designing one of these from first principles to input the mixed distillate in the middle.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I found this blog. It is in Dutch, but has a lot of pictures, so maybe you can figure out what the story is.
http://indekoperenketel.nl/tag/florentijnse-vaas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It also talks about a scheitrechter: separation funnel.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Hey Massassi: I’m not too sure what your up to but there is tons of info in the web about the production of essential oils and the tools for making it. Nearly every glass product I have for separating essential oils I got from amazon.
Good luck
JBC
JBC