2" Copper

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

trimpy
Novice

2" Copper

Post by trimpy »

First of all, I have been reading this site for months. The amount of information here is astounding.

I built a little 6qt pot still out of a pressure cooker and some 3/8 copper using the coil in a bucket method for condensing. It meant to make something cheap to get my feet wet. Well im hooked and have been scouring for parts for something a little bigger.

I thought i would just share this as a resource for 2" copper in the US. The guy is based out of VA and has decent prices compared to everywhere i looked. I just picked up 4' for 12$ a foot + 9$ shipping.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcoy_n_chester

I had been eyeing up a 2' x 1.5" piece on McMaster for 26$, but after reading about how many people upgrade from 1.5" -> 2.0", i just decided to go for it given the price for 2.0".
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

The copper tubing is not that bad (in most areas on the US). 2" DWT can be found at most larger home depot like stores (Lowes, HomeDepot, Menards, etc) for about 80-100 for a 10' section.

What gets you is the fittings. Thus, that is one of the key cost savings issues with the slant plate Bokabob inline. There are no 2" fittings, other than the connector to the pot. All other large connectors have been eliminated by the still's design.

H.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Last time I was at Lowes, Feb. 2008, the price of 2 inch copper was $145 for 10 feet... Damned dope-heads are pushing the price up by stealing it from construction sites and houses for sale and not inhabited...

Welcome aboard, trimpy...
dixiedrifter
Swill Maker

Post by dixiedrifter »

rad14701 wrote:Last time I was at Lowes, Feb. 2008, the price of 2 inch copper was $145 for 10 feet... Damned dope-heads are pushing the price up by stealing it from construction sites and houses for sale and not inhabited...

Welcome aboard, trimpy...
Actually the thefts by dope heads don't have anything to do with retail copper prices.

What is driving the price of copper up is a combination of the faltering Bush economy where the dollar is plummeting in value and China's insatiable thirst for raw materials.

Just look at gold and platinum prices... $974 gold and $2011 an ounce platinum.. $3.20 cent gasoline... its enough to make you sick.

I could go on and on but I probably shouldn't as this board is not the place to discuss politics.

Therefore I will leave it at that.
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

Hmmmmmmm, $3.20 a gallon, lets see now, divide by 4 to get litres, thats 80 cents a litre, hell - wish I could buy some of that. We are being warned that petrol could hit $1.50 a litre in Australia before Easter.
Wonder what we are doing wrong over here?
No Cheers to that.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

And it ain't what it used to be either. 1 Aussie dollar is now buying 94 US cents.
Last edited by CoopsOz on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

tracker0945 wrote:Hmmmmmmm, $3.20 a gallon, lets see now, divide by 4 to get litres, thats 80 cents a litre, hell - wish I could buy some of that. We are being warned that petrol could hit $1.50 a litre in Australia before Easter.
Wonder what we are doing wrong over here?
No Cheers to that.
Already over $1:50 for diesel in NSW country towns.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Both petrol and diesel frequently hit $1.50 a litre in my area, and neither rarely fall below about $1.30. Was $1.47 last time I filled the diesel, and $1.49 for unleaded petrol. Prefer filling up the diesel, gets better economy.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
dixiedrifter
Swill Maker

Post by dixiedrifter »

A gallon is 3.785L so that makes it around 85¢ per liter.

Converted to Ozland cash, that is 92¢ per liter for gas.

Keep in mind that is 87 octane. Premium 92 octane runs about $1 per L in aussie currency over here.

They are predicting petrol prices will hit $4 USD per gallon before the end of this year with no stopping in site since the government has practically slashed interest rates to nothing... went to the bank the other day and they were paying 3.03% interest on certificates of deposit... thats not even enough to keep up with inflation.

When that happens investors dump their bonds and switch over to the commodities market, which just happens to be oil, food, and metals.

Back somewhat on topic, copper is trading at $3.88 USD per 454g or $8.56 per kg. Early US pennies are all copper and still many are in circulation. 181 of them old pennies equals one pound, so all the old pennies are worth approx 2.1 cents just to melt.

Its crazy.
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

gas has been kept cheap here to keep americans on gasoline and not look for alt. fuels if some other source to feed the cars starts looking good gas prices will drop...some but never as they were.
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

dixiedrifter wrote:Actually the thefts by dope heads don't have anything to do with retail copper prices.
Around here it IS the dope-heads stealing the copper, trust me... The plumbing suppliers for the local contractors will come right out and admit it and quite a few contractors are having to have someone sleep at build-sites to keep the copper from being ripped right out of the walls until projects are far enough along to have alarm systems in place... It may not be the case in paradise, but around here it's the copper thieves... I'm sure the rest of the worlds calamities aren't helping much either though...
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Thread play time was nice, now TIME to get back on topic folks. This thread is spiraling into a political rant.

If people have other "cheap" sources of 2", then please post.
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

ehhhemm ...sorry, i have found some good deals on ebay...yea i can usualy find what i'm looking for as they seem to sell quite a few diff sizes of pipe..copper is hard to come by here with all the scraping now....and who can afford a 20' stick...thats how they sell it here.
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

:evil:

OUCH - that hurts.

:(

sorry

2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
Cruisaire
Bootlegger

Post by Cruisaire »

Seller dw71 has very decent prices in the US with reasonable shipping. Nice feller and ships fast.