T500 Part... Can someone show me it?

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shawn44
Novice

T500 Part... Can someone show me it?

Post by Shawn44 »

Hello everyone,

I am missing a piece for my T500. It's been so long since I used it they I don't even remember what the piece looks like. Can someone take some pics of theirs and attach with a description?

The piece is for the original condenser... On the waste water out let side (water outflow from cooling the condenser). It goes in the bottom of the black plastic piece (underneath of where the thermometer probe goes)... And allows a hose to connect to the valve to run the excess water off. Attached some pics.

All help is very much appreciated. I've been searching high and low for a week now none stop.

Thank you

Shawn
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: T500 Part... Can someone show me it?

Post by Still Life »

Here's the manual with a breakdown of parts a few pages in.
If no one here has parts for you, Contact Still Spirits directly.
Shawn44
Novice

Post by Shawn44 »

Thanks Uncle Jesse,

I contacted them. They said they no longer support parts for my condenser... Which I find hard to believe, but that's what they said.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Looks like your missing a hose barb and hose. Shouldn't be too hard to rig up safe and functional.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Shawn44
Novice

Post by Shawn44 »

I think you are correct. I was hoping for an up close pic and maybe some measurements. A guy can hope right? Lol

Thank you
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Shawn44 wrote:I think you are correct. I was hoping for an up close pic and maybe some measurements. A guy can hope right? Lol

Thank you
Found this on Google images ....yup its a hose barb . Can't measure it but it looks almost identaical to the one that's still on your still.....the horizontal one ...perhaps it unscrews and you can check if its the same thing
T500.jpg
Its probably a standard BSP thread hose barb ...maybe 1/4" .....just guessing
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Since its just on the water outlet I'd probably get creative and use part of a plastic ink pen or whatever I could get to fit in there and then a bit of epoxy and a cheap hose. That aside ,most hardware stores that sell inground sprinkler system parts will sell all kinds of those barbs ,both plastic and metal. Like I say though ,get creative with it.

Edit: upon zooming in on the pic yummyrum posted it looks like it's screw in with a hex head around the middle and something white like ptfe thread tape sticking out between the black part and the barb itself.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Shawn44
Novice

Post by Shawn44 »

jb-texshine wrote:Since its just on the water outlet I'd probably get creative and use part of a plastic ink pen or whatever I could get to fit in there and then a bit of epoxy and a cheap hose. That aside ,most hardware stores that sell inground sprinkler system parts will sell all kinds of those barbs ,both plastic and metal. Like I say though ,get creative with it.

Edit: upon zooming in on the pic yummyrum posted it looks like it's screw in with a hex head around the middle and something white like ptfe thread tape sticking out between the black part and the barb itself.

Agreed. I think mine is a little older than the one in the pic from YummyRum. Mine is plastic and not threaded inside. The one in the pics I believe is newer and a medal housing.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Not to be a debby downer but once you get the cooling sorted are you going to fix the plastic in contact with liquid and vapor product? I hadnt really looked at this still before this thread, and, umm, wow...
Shawn44
Novice

Post by Shawn44 »

zapata wrote:Not to be a debby downer but once you get the cooling sorted are you going to fix the plastic in contact with liquid and vapor product? I hadnt really looked at this still before this thread, and, umm, wow...

I'm not sure I understand your question... I don't see plastic in contact with liquid and vapor?
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Well to be fair you didnt show it, It is in the pdf, theres a vapor tube from the column to the condenser and a liquid tube from the condenser. I didnt see if it said what it is, but I've never seen clear teflon tubing which would be the only synthetic I'd be comfortable with. I'm not usually one of the plastic police, it's your call. But I'd suggest looking closely at if you think whatever it is is safe enough for you and your loved ones. Cheap and easy manufacturing is not a good enough reason for me to drink plasticizers.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

zapata wrote:theres a vapor tube from the column to the condenser
That one only carries water Zap. :ewink:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

True the piece this thread started over is for water, but the condenser has 3 lines. 1 of which the manual calls the "spirit outlet".
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

There is only one bit of plastic tube that contacts spirit on these stills ........that is the tubing from the condenser to the collection jar / container.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Salty , you've got one of these .
Is yours like Shawn44's model or is yours heaps older ? do you recon he'd be right to cobble something to fit the hole ?
jb-texshine wrote:Since its just on the water outlet I'd probably get creative and use part of a plastic ink pen or whatever I could get to fit in there and then a bit of epoxy and a cheap hose. That aside ,most hardware stores that sell inground sprinkler system parts will sell all kinds of those barbs ,both plastic and metal. Like I say though ,get creative with it.
What do you recon ? I'm kinda with jb-texshine here ...man If it was mine I'd have it cobbled up and crack'n . I can see the desire to keep it original but looks like Still spirits can't supply the original part so unless its a fairlt generic part I'm say'n cobble it :thumbup: ...or toss it in the bin and build yourself a better one ....did I say that :moresarcasm:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I certainly don't know about various versions of this product, just looking at the posted manual and seeing plastic lines for both liquid and vapor. Both look like they could be eliminated with some fiddling.
20171202_150604-576x652.png
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I repeat, the arched plastic tube at the top DOES NOT carry vapor, nor is there a tube that carries vapor.
That is a water line from the reflux condenser to the product condenser.
Yummyrum wrote:Salty , you've got one of these .
Is yours like Shawn44's model or is yours heaps older ? do you recon he'd be right to cobble something to fit the hole ?
I "had" one like that Yummy, I went to find it in the shed when this post first appeared. I stopped using it once I built my own better stills. It is no longer in the shed , appears it was stolen along with some other things. I just hadn't realized that the still was gone
He should be able to be able to fix that one ..its only a water fitting , maybe get one from a plumbing supplies I cant remember or see if that hole is threaded....if not silicon some sort of fitting into it.
Is the original hose with the needle valve on it missing too............that would be the other problem in getting it working.
Shawn44
Novice

Post by Shawn44 »

Saltbush Bill wrote:I repeat, the arched plastic tube at the top DOES NOT carry vapor, nor is there a tube that carries vapor.
That is a water line from the reflux condenser to the product condenser.
Yummyrum wrote:Salty , you've got one of these .
I "had" one like that Yummy, I went to find it in the shed when this post first appeared. I stopped using it once I built my own better stills. It is no longer in the shed , appears it was stolen along with some other things. I just hadn't realized that the still was gone
He should be able to be able to fix that one ..its only a water fitting , maybe get one from a plumbing supplies I cant remember or see if that hole is threaded....if not silicon some sort of fitting into it.
Is the original hose with the needle valve on it missing too............that would be the other problem in getting it working.
I have the needle valve. I have everything except that little piece lol. Go figure!

The hole is not threaded... What type of silicon would you use? Also... What if I get something really close in size and use teflon tape?

Lastly, I do believe the rounded tube at the rope carries vapor... But regardless it's not plastic. It's food grade high temp Teflon tubing. They making tubing for all sorts of plumbing.... I've used it... And 10's of thousands have been sold if not much much more. I see no issues with it.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Shawn44 wrote:The hole is not threaded... What type of silicon would you use
I wouldnt use tape if there is no thread, any sort of silicon will hold the part in place.
Shawn44 wrote:Lastly, I do believe the rounded tube at the rope carries vapor...
Do you mean "at the top" if you do you are wrong, you will find out when you go to use it.
Shawn44 wrote:It's food grade high temp Teflon tubing. They making tubing for all sorts of plumbing
That is true ....but your missing the point, you are yet to start thinking like a distiller....you are not dealing with food here ....you are dealing with a number of high abv solvents, methanol,Acetone, ethanol just to name a few.
Shawn44
Novice

Post by Shawn44 »

Shawn44 wrote:Lastly, I do believe the rounded tube at the rope carries vapor...
Do you mean "at the top" if you do you are wrong, you will find out when you go to use it.

I stand corrected. The manual does say it's a water tube but I'm not sure how the end product comes through then... Good thing I'm not an engineer.
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

There is FEP (Fluorinated ethylene propylene) tubing, which is a fluoropolymer, similar to PTFE. I've been doing a bit of research on the differences between PTFE, FEP and PFA (perfluoroalkoxy polymer resin), and as far as I can find, they are all about equally inert. The only difference I'm seeing between them are temperature range, transparency, flexibility, and whether they can be melted or sintered. Nobody I've found mentions any difference as far as chemical compatibility.

They all are basically carbon chains with every free bonding location taken up by a fluorine atom. Fluorine can be very reactive, it's a stronger oxidizer than oxygen, but once it's found it's happy place bound to something like carbon, it really holds on really tight, which is why fluoropolymers are so nonreactive. To quote wikipedia's FEP article "In terms of corrosion resistance, FEP is the only other readily available fluoropolymer that can match PTFE's own resistance to caustic agents, as it is a pure carbon-fluorine structure and fully fluorinated."

So the spirit output tube could be FEP tubing, it's transparent, flexible, and should be every bit as safe as PTFE.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

All this talk of plastic tube what is not to be understood. till further notice.

AC