portable induction stove

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

portable induction stove

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Hey there everyone...
been awhile since I've posted anything...so here we go:

Has anyone used a portable induction stove as a heat source? Local hardware store had some on sale and I was wondering
if it would be able to heat up a 5 gal or even a 10 gal beer keg? The diameter across the top doesn't seem that big, but it states heats up to 400 degrees.
Just thought I'd throw it out there for a chew....

Hope everyone has a great Christmas.
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Re: portable induction stove

Post by nuntius01 »

sorry, i use an induction stove but to make my mash not as a heat source for my boiler.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Downsides: Some of the induction hobs cycle to regulate temperature just like hotplates, and a lot of them have glass tops so weight is limited. Choose yours carefully.

Upsides: There are induction diffuser plates if your construction metal (like copper) isn't compatible, and that also helps with the cycling issue.
And induction hobs are supposedly "efficient". (Although heat is one of the easiest things to generate, so it's arguable in physics whether an "efficient" heater is even a thing.)

Some members here have used them successfully on smaller 5 gallon set ups just fine -see these threads.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 fizzix

Your biggest hurdle is the fact that induction only works when the bottom of the vessel has a magnetic plate inserted IOW iron.
That's the reason why normal stainless steel cookware doesn't work on induction stovetops.
The other problem is cycling ON/OFF of the heating element.
I use a normal cast iron single plate for my little gin still, but I have a controller attached to it to counteract the cycling.
The max power of the plate is 2 KW or 2000 W. At that power level I take 0,25 L every 3-4 min, which is acceptable for a pot still with a single bubble plate: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=64618
Have a look at my super simple controller if you like: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=58011
My advice would be to use a plate like I do, or a ceramic plate. However, have the weight of your still in mind so you don't crack the plate.
A 5 gal still should work fine, but I foresee it will take forever to heat a 10 gal boiler.
Scorpster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Scorpster »

I use an induction hot plate (1800W, $70CA amazon, doesn't cycle) as well as the internal electric element (3000W). I use both to come up to heat, then switch to just internal when close (more efficient). An exception the other day was a small spirit run where the internal element would have gotten exposed before the end of the run, in that case I switched off the internal element at temp and just ran the induction. Would love a 220V model (3500W) but need subpanel etc.