WARNING: "SS" scrubbies falling apart leaving black residue

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Coyotey
Novice

WARNING: "SS" scrubbies falling apart leaving black residue

Post by Coyotey »

It says stainless steel right on the packaging.

After 3 sugar sac runs of my new CM column (copper 2") the bottom scrubbie almost seems burnt! So I try to take it out and it crackled and flaked to pieces.

Should it be abundantly obvious at this point that these scrubbies are made of something other than SS?

Anyone else run into something like this? It's only the bottom one...the one above looks fine.

Could some unfermented sugar have burnt itself onto the scrubbie and caused this??

Skål!
Last edited by Coyotey on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is the noblest; Second, by imitation, which is the easiest; and Third, by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: SS scrubbies cracking and flaking after 3 runs?!

Post by StillerBoy »

They are of poor quality ss scrubbies, if they are ss.. I've run into the same issue, after a run or two, they black and start fall apart.. just junk them and get better quality ones.. its hard to tell if they are good one or not at the time of purchase.. I buy my from the grocery store now, I pay a little more, but they are good ones..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Cracking and flaking, and the scrubbiest themselves are falling apart? Does not sound like SS to me, and personally I would not use those again.

If you can’t find SS, maybe try pure copper mesh. You can get a 1 pound roll for about $15 US, and cut into 6 or 7 pieces (for a 2” column) you can pack about 35” of the column. Copper does patina and will degrade over time, but if you are careful extracting them they will last you many runs.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Hey gents, thanks for chiming in.

It's like Stiller Boy described: it turned black and fell apart.
It has always been my understanding that SS could withstand everything save a nuclear strike - and most certainly survive whatever varibles the inside of my column will throw at it.

I'll definately be pulling them and will clean the inside of the column. What I really find disturbing is a black oily residue inside the column after rinsing with hot water :wtf:

I can't source copper mesh here and customs is all too aware of its primary use ;). The hunt for genuine SS continues.

Skål!
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is the noblest; Second, by imitation, which is the easiest; and Third, by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Ok...this may have been coverred before but I'm changing the title of this post to read like a warning...

I've just spent a few hours researching the company manufacturing these scrubbies. It wasn't easy but it turns out that many scrubbies are made of galvanized steel even though they look just like their SS counterparts.

So the WARNING is: read the package thoroughly. Do not assume that it's stainless steel just because of its appearance. I'm going to clean out all that black gunk with vinegar tomorrow.

Skål!
Last edited by Coyotey on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: WARNING: "SS" scrubbies falling apart leaving black resi

Post by sltm1 »

If you can buy through Amazon, they sell pure copper scrubbies reasonably priced.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

Bring a magnet with you when shopping for stainless. If the scrubbie sticks to the magnet then it is stainless coated or some other
material and not the proper one for packing.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Coyotey wrote: I can't source copper mesh here and customs is all too aware of its primary use ;). The hunt for genuine SS continues. Skål!
that is sad that customs in your country is on the lookout for a material that is primarily

used to clean plastic injection molds because copper won't scratch the steel molds.

the secondary use for copper mesh has been as an exclusion barrier for insects in gardens

primarily slugs but works on others and mice won't chew copper mesh

try using the search term "copper gauze" here on HD and on the internet

hopefully you will find a source to keep the slugs out of your garden, the mice out of your house

or clean your injection molds without customs poking their nose in. :thumbdown:
be water my friend
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

cob wrote:
Coyotey wrote: I can't source copper mesh here and customs is all too aware of its primary use ;). The hunt for genuine SS continues. Skål!
that is sad that customs in your country is on the lookout for a material that is primarily

used to clean plastic injection molds because copper won't scratch the steel molds.

the secondary use for copper mesh has been as an exclusion barrier for insects in gardens

primarily slugs but works on others and mice won't chew copper mesh

try using the search term "copper gauze" here on HD and on the internet

hopefully you will find a source to keep the slugs out of your garden, the mice out of your house

or clean your injection molds without customs poking their nose in. :thumbdown:
Hehe;) They've heard it all before! A buddy of mine who shares our passion for this great hobby tried to import assorted parts and accessories for his build. It was stopped at customs and he was asked to "pick it up in person".

He researched some other "primary" uses for the items and was prepared well enough to be able to defend his purchases without mumbling too much.

So while delivering the truth the next day the customs agent (with the police being also represented) started off with a little smile and by the end of the story was almost doubled over. They didn't pursue the matter further but my friend got onto some kind of a watch list and even children's toys are being stopped now.

I understand that stores selling stills and obviously related accessories in the US are also required to report to the authorities.

The point being...stay under the radar and be resourceful. A surprise visit would suck! Sure is tempting to order things from accross the pond though...you guys realize how lucky you are?? ...not just with parts for this hobby...but with the availability of most things within a reasonable radius from where you are;)

Skål!
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

ben stiller wrote:Bring a magnet with you when shopping for stainless. If the scrubbie sticks to the magnet then it is stainless coated or some other
Thanks for that Ben, will do!

Skål!
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

If someone ever tells you that it's ok to use galvanized steel in your still - just show them this:

'Nuf said ?
20180107_120307a.jpg
Skål!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

holy shit balls.
If I were you I'd throw any booze made with them scrubbies.
Don't mess with galv steel
Don't be a dick
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Swedish Pride wrote:holy shit balls.
If I were you I'd throw any booze made with them scrubbies.
Don't mess with galv steel
Yeah tell me about it...this really freaked me out. Imagine cracking your column open to take a look inside and see this shit in there!

Another thing that scares me...some people say (correctly IMHO) that a run will clean your column enough ... and they seldom open their columns because they trust in that their "SS" packing is tough as hell and needs only occasional checking!!!
That, I'm sure, is the case with real SS.

Skål!
Last edited by Coyotey on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Here's an idea, you could buy some braided copper speaker wire (the thick stuff), strip the insulation, untwist the wires then mush them all together making your own scrubbies without sending up and red flags. Sorta expensive and time consuming....but what in this hobby isn't?
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

ben stiller wrote:Bring a magnet with you when shopping for stainless. If the scrubbie sticks to the magnet then it is stainless coated or some other
If your stainless is magnetic then be carefule
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

I typed up a response to the OP that disappeared when I hit submit. Rather than type out the whole thing again, I'll just say thanks for the heads up. Try marbles.
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

sltm1 wrote:Here's an idea, you could buy some braided copper speaker wire (the thick stuff), strip the insulation, untwist the wires then mush them all together making your own scrubbies without sending up and red flags. Sorta expensive and time consuming....but what in this hobby isn't?
That's a great idea sltm! Now that's exactly what I call being resourceful.
I'm however back to my original reasoning which lead me to choose SS scrubbies in the first place. Take a look at my post in the "construction" section. You'll see that my new CM still is 95% copper. Please correct me if I'm wrong but there is already a sufficient quantity of copper present in the rig that additional copper would not increase the quality of the drop.
So then considering ONLY the "packing" characteristics of different materials: after an obscene amount of research, comparisons, reading vapour resistance studies and substrate density behavior - I believe that pound for pound SS is the best choice for packing.
Now I probably just opened a can of worms by saying that but even though I accidentaly used the wrong material (it still had the same structure as ss scrubbies) I was pulling 94% alc on my second run on my new still. The packed section of my column is only 77cm long (1:15 dia/height ratio) !!
I found some good scrubbies close by. Can't wait to get them in and start the bloody sac runs again :/

Skål!
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

My pure copper scrubbers look exactly the same after 1-2 stripping runs and fall apart just the same. With copper I have presumed this is what is SUPPOSED to happen reacting with and removing any sulfur acids in the wash.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

@Coyotey
Is there a Lidl where you live, thats where I got mine and I'm still alive
Don't be a dick
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Swedish Pride wrote:@Coyotey
Is there a Lidl where you live, thats where I got mine and I'm still alive
Lidl lasted about 3 weeks here unfortunately. They had real German bratwurst ;) Oh well easy come easy go.

I found a good source with the right documentation. It'll cost a bit more...but what doesn't with this hobby ;)
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

seamusm53 wrote:My pure copper scrubbers look exactly the same after 1-2 stripping runs and fall apart just the same. With copper I have presumed this is what is SUPPOSED to happen reacting with and removing any sulfur acids in the wash.
That might be worth looking further into! Copper packing will patina and degrade - but not that quick! Be careful. You're probably ok but there are different compositions of "copper" too.

Skål!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

My glass marbles never look like that. You got some shhhhh....
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

still_stirrin wrote:My glass marbles never look like that. You got some shhhhh....
ss
I hear ya still stirrin.

I remember reading a somewhat heated debate on here somewhere about the use of galvanized steel. The issue seemed not to be whether or not it is appropriate to use galv steel but rather where to use it in a still!!!

This chills my blood! Please contribute to spreading the word;)
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

sltm1 wrote:Here's an idea, you could buy some braided copper speaker wire (the thick stuff), strip the insulation, untwist the wires then mush them all together making your own scrubbies without sending up and red flags. Sorta expensive and time consuming....but what in this hobby isn't?
This will work, only with OFC (oxygen free copper) speaker wiring. Do not use CCA (copper clad aluminium) speaker wire. The OFC wire is more costly unfortunately.

*Edit to add: this is more typical of amplifier power wire than speaker wire, I think
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

You can get SS 201 scrubbies from Amazon here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1FZEW2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It's what I use, 201 is a low nickel SS.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

That's the same scrubbies I'm using :thumbup:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I know that iron in the vapour path gets a fine, black layer on it. Seems like graphite powder. I always scrubbed my riser thoroughly after running!
Maybe when you use iron wool a few times it gets as thick as your photos showed.
I doubt if zinc in the vapour path will cause any health or taste problems: it is an essential element!

As for copper scrubbies: I took some copper wire for the home electricity net, took the plastic off and curled it. It is easy to do, you can do it when you watch tv. Just like women used to knit while doing other things.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Went the scrubber route for a while until I found it very difficult to find a dependable source and/or the suitable material. I now buy all my copper mesh from one the still suppliers and have been very pleased. I can't imagine customs not letting it through, as there could be many uses for it.

BG
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

I don't want to kick a dead horse here fellas but I went around to at least 8 stores today after work to look for SS scrubbies. This time I had a magnet with me.

Every single sample was magnetic. 6 of the brands had it in black and white right on the packaging: "High Quality Stainless Steel". On the other 2 it just wasn't specified.

Now I understand that there are countless compositions of SS and perhaps they don't usually save the choice SS for making scrubbies. I seriously doubt that the majority of distillers walk around with magnets in their pockets when out shopping for packing. Just how sure are you that you are using safe packing?

Ok I got super unlucky with my previous packing that left that black shit behind and it certainly wasn't SS and perhaps not even galv steel.

My question is this (hopefully some steel experts will pick this up): Is all magnetic SS unsafe to use in our columns? Is ONLY the non-magnetic kind safe enough for our use?

The copper and marbles guys are going to have a field day with this;)

Skål!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Coyotey wrote:I don't want to kick a dead horse here fellas but...Is all magnetic SS unsafe to use in our columns?

The copper and marbles guys are going to have a field day with this
Dead horses are gonna’ get kicked! :shock:

Some stainless steel alloys will “move a magnet”, but I would not recommend those alloys for use in the column, simply because you DON’T KNOW the composition of the alloy. If it has an ASTM certification, then you could be more confident. Otherwise...avoid it.

How does the saying go, “screw me once...shame on you...screw me twice...shame on ME”!

And keep in mind too, that not all copper scrubbies are created equal...some are only copper plated...over who knows what kind of base metal.

But I do know this.....glass works!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K