I just welded parrots and need to clean them... (PIC)

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NADERHANNA1719
Novice

I just welded parrots and need to clean them... (PIC)

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

Hey Guys,

I just made three copper parrots, and I had a buddy of mine tig-weld them for me. Now, I need to clean them, what's the best way to get off all the black stuff? Surely, I'll need to use sand paper, but I figure a solution might do a lot of the initial work for me. I heard about Citric Acid, I also heard vinegar, which is better and what are the doses? Also, do I have to neutralize these when I'm done with baking soda, and if so, I need doses again? Also, how do I make sure that these solutions don't impart any off-flavors on my out-coming spirits - if they it was a still, I'd do a sacrificial alcohol run.

Your help is much appreciated! I tried posting the pics, but didn't know how.

Best,
Nader
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: I just welded parrots and need to clean them... (PIC)

Post by Yummyrum »

Citric and vinegar take ages ...... 24 hours and more .....never been a fan of vinegar soaks .
Sulfuric acid is the go . Add 1/5 acid to 4/5 water and it will get rid of your gunk in about 1/2 hr .

Just rinse it off and if you can scrub it with a staino scrubber it will be the shiniest parrot you ever seen . :D
NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

I don't think we got sulfuric acid in these parts. Are Citric Acid soaks bad? I can wait a day. What's the dose?
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

The best way to remove the carbon is directly after the weld. Once it cools it’s like what you have now.

I did some 1250f and 1400f silver soldering and it carbonized my copper as well. I ended up just scrapping the piece after cleaning it was more of a PIA than the part was worth. I’ll stick to low temp silver solder as it just leaves a pretty rainbow that wipes off with 200 grit.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Do you have a pic? Are these SS or Copper, and are the black spots just discoloration or burn-thru from the weld (bubbled up and rough)?
Edit: . Oops. I just reread where you said Copper. Disregard my post. :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Mack76
Novice

Post by Mack76 »

if your going to braze copper with silver solder or tig weld you need to purge it with nitrogen or argon gas. the oxygen in air is what causes the black oxidation.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Given I havent welded copper but all the soot I deal with in aluminum welding, a simple brush will take it off. I have small stainless brushes but rarely clean the soot off (grinder or blow gun gets it).
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

zap, and CLR both work well
be water my friend
NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

I had them tig welded not silver soldered. The welds are smooth, but they're covered in a coarse black coating, on both sides of the material, so it's not only on the outside, but burned through onto the inside. They're really rigid and well-built. It would be a shame to scrape them. I'm gonna hit them with a wired brush disc attached to a drill today, and I'm gonna use a steel-brushed pipe cleaner for the tube. Then I guess I'll give them a citric acid / water bath.

Do I have to neutralize the citric acid with a baking soda / water bath when I'm done? Also, does citric acid impart off-flavors that might get carried over into the spirit like vinegar?
MechEngineer_81
Novice

Post by MechEngineer_81 »

last time I TIG welded copper I used some 3m polishing wheels to remove the blackening on the outside, basically the same as I would with SS. took a little longer with the copper but worked about as well.