Changing Spirit Run

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JohnnyJumpUp
Novice

Changing Spirit Run

Post by JohnnyJumpUp »

Hey guys. I have a 1/2 keg boiler with a 2" column with copper mesh packing. Ive been making rum for the past 6 months (its all Ive veer made up to this point). Im currently fermenting hard cider and Im ready to make brandy. Should I run vinegar through my still before I run the brandy? How else can I neutralize the flavors left by other spirit runs?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Changing Spirit Run

Post by fizzix »

Unnecessary unless your still puked at some time. Vapor doesn't leave a taste "memory" that I've ever seen.
I have a reflux with copper mesh and I've run whiskey, followed by bourbon, then rum, vodka, and all corn. Multiples of each and never had a crossover battle of tastes by any means.
But again if you had a puke and your mesh is all polluted, I'd take it out and just wash the hell out of it.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

fizzix wrote:Unnecessary unless your still puked at some time. Vapor doesn't leave a taste "memory" that I've ever seen.
I have a reflux with copper mesh and I've run whiskey, followed by bourbon, then rum, vodka, and all corn. Multiples of each and never had a crossover battle of tastes by any means.
But again if you had a puke and your mesh is all polluted, I'd take it out and just wash the hell out of it.
+1

I would say just take a peek inside the keg and be sure the molly from your rum didn't leave any solid residue that can be washed off. My all Molly rum always leaves a little sediment behind...
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

Gin and whiskey distilled on the grain can most definitely leave oils on the inside of still piping that could carry over to the next run. However, most of them would get dissolved and cleaned out with the fores and heads of the next run in my experience. Since you've been making rum I don't think you'd have much carry over to speak of, but it won't hurt anything to clean it anyway.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
JohnnyJumpUp
Novice

Post by JohnnyJumpUp »

The molasses smell is pretty strong. Ive never had any puking that resulting in contaminates in my condenser and final collection. Im going to run it in the morning without cleaning and let you guys know. Thanks for the tips!
JohnnyJumpUp
Novice

Post by JohnnyJumpUp »

Heres a follow up guys. I ran the hard cider through the still and the flavors and aromas from the rum were detectable during the foreshots and the first cut of heads, yet not at all after that. Thanks for the help guys. On to blending, oaking and aging.