Minimum size still for a Parrot?

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mike6090
Novice

Minimum size still for a Parrot?

Post by Mike6090 »

Being an engineer I am prone to overthinking so i calculated out the volume of a parrot at about 6-8oz. If I have a 8 gal still running 5 gal batches and 3/4-1 gal total output would a parrot be all that helpful? I am running 8-16 oz cuts right now so it seems likely not... if I had a 15 gal still then sure... but then I am running reflux. Maybe a pot still should be run differently.
what say you?
Thanks.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Minimum size still for a Parrot?

Post by still_stirrin »

I don’t have a parrot.

I collect in small jars and measure the proof of the jar. Then I put a piece of masking tape on the jar and write the jar number (in the collection series), the date run, and the measured proof. Then, I cover the jar with a coffee filter and wait 24 to 36 hours to sit down and figure my cuts. Regardless of running a strip run, a potstill run, or a reflux run, I haven’t needed a parrot to make liquor.

Oh, and by the way, I’m a mechanical engineer too.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

+1 still_stirrin
I don't go labelling the jars but do check ABV of each when I change jars .
If I'm doing a stripping run I might stick a measuring cylinder under the spout when I'm getting close to done just to see where I'm at .
Never needed a Parrot. But I see your question is probably about smearing in a parrot relative to the amount you collect .
To be honest if you are talking a Pot still here , there will be more smearing happening simply because its a pot still than the parrot will cause .
6-8 oz does sound a lot of volume for a parrot though . thats about 175-235 mls for us metric folk .
On a spirit Run I'd normally want about 20 jars so I can make reasonably good cuts .

3/4-1 gal is 2.8 -3.8 liters so I'd be wanting to collect 140-190 mls per jar . Looking at it that way , your parrot is relatively large . Perhaps you could get a smaller hydrometer for on the fly parrot work and keep your big ( more accurate ) one for proofing . That way you could signoficantly reduce the volume of your parot to probably around 100mls
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

Thanks guys,
I have not finished the design of the parrot yet. Looks like I need to go with a 1/4” diameter tubing on the upstream side of the meter to cut down on the volume and then I will be ok. Before it was all 3/4.

Lots of fun. Lots of opportunity.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I like a parrot but I a. Doing 11 gallon runs in my keg. Before having a parrot I did the same thing, got tired of measuring the abv in each jar. I now feel my smell, feel, and taste has improved through experience and knowing my run cuts are a lot easier thus I am able to collect in larger jars.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Be aware Mike that with parrots you trade getting immediate ABV knowledge with "smearing."
That is, your collection pools into the parrot and makes cuts harder to distinguish. That's why you don't see too many people using them.
Just a word to the wise.

Your still is plenty large enough for one though. But I'm concerned the 1/4" upstream (from the still) risks blockage.
Flow is still slow enough through 3/4" to remain practical. Please consider safety.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

If you use or make an inline parrot with an empty-it-valve then you can collect about 200ml or whatever you want and empty it so the smearing is limited to what it will be for a 200ml collection anyway - it just makes less steps to complete. It's just a reference measurement anyway.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

+1 to Still_stirrin, though I don't bother with checking ABV per jar. Unless I am on new equipment I figure it is what it is. I do check the last jar to ensure I have run things down far enough. I do check ABV after making cuts so I know how to dilute.

I see more value in a parrot if you are running a large volume boiler and already know your recipe/process, like you may see at a micro-distillery.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Mack76
Novice

Post by Mack76 »

i put the outlet into the test jar. let it fill up till there's enough to test proof. dump that in the collection jar and repeat as i see fit
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I collect in jars like most but don't even check ABV until I know I'm close to the end of the run. After airing out and making my cuts I check the ABV then for diluting but that's it.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I collect in numbered jars. 100 ml if I want to as accurate as possible (my glass cilinder for my alcoholmeter is 100 ml) and up to 500 ml for the larger parts.
I have two 10 l boilers, sometimes coupled as boiler and thumper.
I also have a 80 l still, but I use that only for stripping 60 l birdwatchers. Then I use 500 ml for accuracy and 5 l for larger, stable parts.
Until now I have seen no use for a parrot.
To judge the end of a run I use a thermometer, and an alcoholmeter to confirm.