Do I need to add mesh to the RC

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

There is something that I am wondering, first of all I am only adding copper in the ascending path in my still, so with the RC it was covered with copper mesh, I removed it, now I need to use a SS mesh or no mesh at all would that be ok if I do not use any mesh in the rc would I lose alcohol vapour from there ? if I must use which brand I can safely buy the SS mesh.

Thanks
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Re: Do I need to add mesh to the RC

Post by durty_dunderpants »

the only person that can really answer that is you.. ? run the still and see if you're getting vapour escaping. if so, shut down and improve the RC
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I did try with water only as I was afraid that alcohol vapour could cover the room so I really want to know it that would be ok, otherwise I do not want to create a risky situation with alcohol vapour all over the place
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Post by durty_dunderpants »

the point is that you stop if vapour does start coming out. no-one here could possibly tell you 100% if it will be okay on your still, and you shouldn't blindly believe them if they did - that would be potentially dangerous. you need to check for leaks yourself.

the simple answer is if it condenses everything then no mesh needed. if not then it might be helpful.
does it get all the water fine? if you can knock down the water you should be good as alcohol boils lower. :thumbup:
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I tried with water but some vapour escaped from the rc I checked it with a mirror, so I am wondering if the same applies for alcohol ?
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

To a degree... The only way to really know is to try. Don’t worry about the alcohol vapors. It takes a lot of vapor to reach Lower explosive limit. Open a window, have a fan and run the still up until you see vapor and shut it down. If all you get it condensate you are golden. A couple cubic feet of vapor with a fan going won’t detonate.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Mike6090 wrote:To a degree... The only way to really know is to try. Don’t worry about the alcohol vapors. It takes a lot of vapor to reach Lower explosive limit. Open a window, have a fan and run the still up until you see vapor and shut it down. If all you get it condensate you are golden. A couple cubic feet of vapor with a fan going won’t detonate.
I agree that a very small amount of vapor isn’t a huge concern, but I also wouldn’t encourage people to be lax about it either. Running a fan would help, but if there is vapor escaping, then it needs to be remedied for long term safety

Your still will react very differently with water vs alcohol. It takes a lot more energy to condense water than it does alcohol vapor. If you’re only getting a little water, you’re probably ok to preceed to alcohol. Only one way to find out..

SR
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Can you show us a picture? What kind of rc is it? What are the dimensions of it? What's your maximum heat/power in your boiler? What are you using for cooling water ie city main water or some kind of recirc setup? I know it's a lot of questions but all this needs to be known to give some answers.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I can answer most of these questions, but I need to go and check the size when I check the dimensions tomorrow I can tell you exactly.

I use the RC in my CCVM still, It is basically made of corrugated SS hose it is slightly smaller that 2" in diameter to fit it inside my 2" sanitary spool, and has a length around 10"
I use internal heating element and it has a 3000 Watt max capacity and also it is connected to a controller.
I use a 27 Gallon tank with a recirculating pump.
Attachments
IMG_8073 2.JPG
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

It all seems in order. It looks like it "should" be just fine. That said, take precautions and test it gradually increasing power untill you have vapor or are at full power. This will let you know your limitations.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Post by CaptMorgan »

What kind of column do you run? What is your water flow rate? My pump is a 530 Gpm and I run a gallon though my RC 2" boka copper coil of 1/4" diameter x 10" long in about 7 minutes with my water output pinched to keep reflux warm. If you have any ethanol vapors getting by your coil, you are asking fo trouble and losing money.
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I use a 36" column with a 4" sight glass altogether 2" diameter with a total of 40" long column and my flow rate is I use an eheim pump 3000 which is 800 Gallon per hour.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Was your water vapor problem at full power? Remember you can always reduce power too. In fact, assuming a normal packing like mesh or scrubbies, you will want to reduce power to 2000 or below (I like 1800 for a 2" column).

2000 watts of alcohol requires a LOT less heat exchange than 3000 watts of water.

FIx it as soon as you spot an alcohol vapor leak, but you can do that on the fly just by reducing power. Sounds like to me it's time to test this baby for real.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I also want to ask which Stainless Steel mesh brand can I safely use ? which is 304 or 316 I purchased a wool one but it turned out to be a big problem as the wool parts tends to fall all the time.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Most people aren't using a fine wool, but a mesh, usually bought as scrubbies. Brands are going to vary by location, but a good place to start looking would be a Sams Club or local restaurant supplier because SS scrubbies are used in dish pits the world over. Just make sure they are true stainless and don't have or can remove any carbon steel crimp/staple things that hold them together. You can take a magnet shopping with you.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

I am going to buy it online, so I would appreciate if someone tell me which brand is ok to use in the still, and which one is 304SS