Source of Cheap PTFE Tri-Clamp Gaskets

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Source of Cheap PTFE Tri-Clamp Gaskets

Post by FL Brewer »

Hey folks, I stumbled across this place in my search for stainless ferrules, and found PTFE gaskets as a bonus. They are made for tri-clamp sanitary fittings and are really cheap. I ordered a few and wanted to share the info with the gang.

https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp- ... skets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Source of Cheap PTFE Tri-Clamp Gaskets

Post by cede »

Yep, it's a well know address :)
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

That's where I shop...
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

FL Brewer wrote:
https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp- ... skets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Are they they soft and pliable or the hard (arrrrrrrrrr) ones ?

Such as these,...

https://www.glaciertanks.com/rubberfab- ... skets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

From the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68654
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Blarney Stoned wrote: Are they they soft and pliable or the hard (arrrrrrrrrr) ones ?
PTFE, and soft and pliable, aren't normally used in the same sentence.

there may be EPTFE sanitary gaskets available, but I have never seen any.

however those prices are the best I've seen.
be water my friend
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I had to make some today out of copper sheet and ptfe tape
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Not bad prices for the most part. But that 8" gasket price is rediculous, $37 for one. No thanks I'll go ahead and make them for like 50 cents.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

pfshine wrote:Not bad prices for the most part. But that 8" gasket price is rediculous, $37 for one. No thanks I'll go ahead and make them for like 50 cents.
I buy most of my PTFE gaskets from Glacier, they have great prices for gaskets 4" and under. For the 8" ones I buy here: https://www.brewershardware.com/8-Tri-C ... ory_id=331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

OVZ
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
pfshine wrote:Not bad prices for the most part. But that 8" gasket price is rediculous, $37 for one. No thanks I'll go ahead and make them for like 50 cents.
I buy most of my PTFE gaskets from Glacier, they have great prices for gaskets 4" and under. For the 8" ones I buy here: https://www.brewershardware.com/8-Tri-C ... ory_id=331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

OVZ
That's where I get most of my clamps and large ferrules, the prices aren't too outrageous.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

I ordered some of the Tuff Steel sanitary tri-clamp gaskets for the connections on my 2" column. If, like the website says, they're composed only of PTFE and SS, they should be safe.

https://www.glaciertanks.com/cart.cgi?g ... hild=26254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I am using the pure PTFE gaskets now, but they're so hard, I just don't have confidence I'm getting a good seal. I'll let you know how these work out when I get 'em.
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

I gave my PTFE gasket a thin wrap with tape and they seem to fit better. Something about the texture I think.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Expat wrote

I gave my PTFE gasket a thin wrap with tape and they seem to fit better. Something about the texture I think.

I would never of thought of that going to give it a try thanks
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Got my Tuff Steel gaskets yesterday. Looking at the pictures on Glacier's website, I was thinking they would be softer than the pure PTFE ones.... bad assumption. They are at least as hard as the PTFE gaskets, looks like I wasted $35. I'll go with the teflon tape wrapped gaskets, gets a little more yielding surface for a better seal.
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

The regular hard ptfe gaskets seal fine up to about 4 or 5 psi and if you are creating that kind of pressure in your still you have a problem. I have been doing alot of mods and redesign on my sytem lately and in the course of pressure/soap bubble testing I found above 5 psi the triclamp joints will bubble a little at the hinge point and the opposite screw clamp end. The cheaper thinner chinese triclamps are worse than the american made ones. All will seal fine for our applications. I use the better designed american made clamps on my boiler and the piping to the thumper just to hedge my bet. After that I use the chinese ones. The theory is when I have a full charge in the thumper for a double strip run, I do build a slight amount of pressure in the boiler and piping into the thumper with the elevated liquid level.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
MechEngineer_81
Novice

Post by MechEngineer_81 »

Wild Bill wrote:The regular hard ptfe gaskets seal fine up to about 4 or 5 psi and if you are creating that kind of pressure in your still you have a problem. I have been doing alot of mods and redesign on my sytem lately and in the course of pressure/soap bubble testing I found above 5 psi the triclamp joints will bubble a little at the hinge point and the opposite screw clamp end. The cheaper thinner chinese triclamps are worse than the american made ones. All will seal fine for our applications. I use the better designed american made clamps on my boiler and the piping to the thumper just to hedge my bet. After that I use the chinese ones. The theory is when I have a full charge in the thumper for a double strip run, I do build a slight amount of pressure in the boiler and piping into the thumper with the elevated liquid level.
another option if you have issues with the ptfe gaskets sealing well is to go to a two bolt style clamp:
https://www.dixonvalve.com/products/gro ... ed%20Clamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

these will allow you to put a decent amount more clampling pressure on the gasket service more evenly than the normal wingnut sytle clamp. i would strongly urge to try and tighten the two bolts evenly for the best results. I have used the 2 bolt style clamps with PTFE gaskeds on sanitary tubing lines up to 100PSI+ with good results.

also with the normal wingnut style clamps a gentle tap with a screwdriver handle or other light persuasive instrument can help get the clamp slightly tighter. dont forget to always use anti sieze on any SS thread as tight conditions can cause galling very quickly and leave you drinking more spirits than making. I have cut off way too many galled triclamps in my day to count because of lack of antisieze.