Running high proof disto with packing

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hobbitshooch
Novice

Running high proof disto with packing

Post by hobbitshooch »

Hey all

Had a quick question I wanted to throw out to you guys.

Attached is some pics of my still. I didn't build it but a friend did back when he was in Uni. I have done 3 runs on it over the past week (distilling wine) and the stripping runs have worked great! Ran with zero packing, just wanted to strip off the booze.

Now I'm at the point that I've got enough booze to start a high proof neutral spirit run.

The column is 3' long, 2" diameter. I plan on feeding the packing into the top. 2 things on the packing:
- Is there such a thing as packing it too "tight"? I wrapped the packing around a thin pipe and its super tight. Should it be a little loose or no?
- Best length for the packing? I have around 18" made up, so it will half fill the column.

The still does not have a deph which i guess could be problematic?

Lastly, any tips on my first neutral spirit run? End plan for the spirit will be a gin.

Cheers
Attachments
1.jpg
Last edited by hobbitshooch on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Running high proof disto with packing

Post by still_stirrin »

Can’t see a picture of your still. Is it a potstill with a tall riser? That’s not the same as a reflux stillhead. Packing in a column without a reflux condenser above it doesn’t do much to raise the proof. So, once we understand whatcha’ got, then we can discuss your path to neutral spirits.

Let us know....
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
hobbitshooch
Novice

Post by hobbitshooch »

See attached on the first post! The original images were a little large so didn't post :)
hobbitshooch
Novice

Post by hobbitshooch »

The photo doesn't show it great but the very top of the still is copper NPT to 2" SS triclamp end (currently just with a blanking cap up it). I could fairly easily rig up a cooling to feed down in there to add there?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

That's exactly what you want to do :).

This is mine.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=65801&hilit=
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
hobbitshooch
Novice

Post by hobbitshooch »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:That's exactly what you want to do :).

This is mine.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=65801&hilit=
How did you seal/finish the top where the reflux coil went in?

Was also thinking to cut it towards the top of the column. Add a copper tri clamp ferrule on each side (https://www.brewershardware.com/2-Tri-C ... ory_id=380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) and then order a proper deph from ali express? Something like this; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Copper- ... 39.90158.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Being able to tri clamp stuff i love as it adds further flexibility down the road.
Attachments
1.jpg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Did you read more chan the first post? It's all there. Blank disc, and tri-clamp, like you already have there.
Screenshot_20180612-125113_Chrome.jpg
hobbitshooch
Novice

Post by hobbitshooch »

Yah I did read through. It was the second image you posted above that is basically exposed to the outside environment? Do you just rely on the spirit being condensed and dropping back in so it does not exit the column into the outside air while running with the reflux coil?
hobbitshooch
Novice

Post by hobbitshooch »

I'm basically thinking of cutting into the top of the still as mentioned and adding a deph from the above post to create a similar set up to the attached.
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

hobbitshooch wrote:Do you just rely on the spirit being condensed and dropping back in so it does not exit the column into the outside air while running with the reflux coil?
You may have read the link SHCD posted for you showing his unit.. unfortunately you miss understanding his unit style, which is CM model.. research what a CM is and how it works.. what you have is a pot unit, as stated to you already by s.s.

You diagram of your idea is not what SHCD has.. it might work, but you have limited understanding of different still design and how they work, and without that knowledge, it will not work for you..

Plus running high proof is asking for problems that are not wanted.. you need to spend time researching and making notes..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
hobbitshooch
Novice

Post by hobbitshooch »

Ok thanks SB. Sorry for bothering you all folks.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

That still is weird :)
Looks like it's basically a pot still with some kind of LM contraption to return reflux to the BOTTOM of the riser?
I know you didnt build it, but feel free to smack who ever did :)
It is a useful pile of parts though so not all is lost.
You could copy SCD's rig fairly easily.
Your diagram feasible though the valve on the product condenser is not needed and the overall design is probably both more expensive and bit more fiddly than SCD's.

And just a general tip, you arent bothering anybody. When someone tells you you need to research something, it's because a knowledge gap is obvious to others. It doesn't mean you're a bother, just a tip in the right direction.

Here are some examples.
1. You want a neutral spirit but think 18" of packing might possibly be enough. That clearly implies a lack of research on either column design, or reading build and run reports where you can clearly see results people get with various setups. Ideal packing for neutral in a 2" column is around 4 feet. 3 feet may do it depending on what "neutral" really means to you.
2. Your still does not have a reflux condenser at all. Packing is near useless without one, and neutral is a pipe dream. Yes, you did mention a dephlegmator, which would be 1 solution, a dephlegmator is the reflux condenser in a cooling management still. But there are many other options which it seems like you are unaware, again implies a lack of reading on still management options, as well as build and run reports.

3. How tight should packing be is a common subject for at least the last 10 years. That doesn't mean you/we cant still talk about it, but asking it without any indication that you have read any of the info on the subject again implies a lack of reading. Please read at least some of the wealth of information on the subject, and make it clear you have some understanding if you still need to ask for clarification.
Do you just rely on the spirit being condensed and dropping back in so it does not exit the column into the outside air while running with the reflux coil?
A still being open above the reflux condenser is an incredibly common design feature, common to perhaps 99% of all stills. Yes the reflux condenser prevents vapor exiting the column. Perhaps a valid question if you never saw it explained quite so explicitly, but nonetheless implies a lack of much reading.

And I think stillerboy misspoke above. SCD's rig is a type of VM (vapor management) which uses CC (condenser control) instead of the valve common to other VM designs. Hence CCVM (when it is not in pot still mode)

Lots of us will hold your hand through this adventure. But most of what you need to know is already on here, and you will be best served by developing a good knowledge base for yourself. Not just so you dont bother people by asking simple questions, but so that you have a thorough understanding of the subject yourself and can make informed decisions.

Or, if you prefer to take a less educated approach, simply find what someone else has done and copy it. SCD's link would be a fine example. And anything missing from there (like how to pack a column) can just be copied from another user. You'll have a much lower ability to troubkeshoot or improve anything if you lack the fundamental understanding, but you will be able to make booze with minimal brain power or time.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

It has to be open to the environment. If not, then you have created a bomb, not a still.

The reflux condenser knocks down all the vapor, all the time. What changes is the height of the condenser, which allows some vapor out the side, or take off, and you get product. But anything that goes past the take off, 100% of that is knocked down. If it doesn't, the reflex condensor is not good enough.

That is why this is a vapor management. You control the amount of vapor that goes into the take off. But everything else is knocked down. And the cooling flow is never changed.

You drew a liquid management still, and you need to read up on that. I have one of those, but it's a flute still.

*Posted the same time as zapata*
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The most disturbing thing about your present still is the valve in the outlet .
Get rid of it .... if its closed , boom .

Glad to here you are thinking of moding this silly still .I think someone made their own version of a Nixon Stine offset still ...:: but got it seriously wrong . That twin valve arangemnt was used on a common design that urculater the web for many years but it was on a Reflux condenser that was open to the atmosphere...... as they should be to avoid the bomb effect
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Damn I suck, that is 100% correct, the left valve can pressurize the still. Bad news bears.
hobbitshooch
Novice

Post by hobbitshooch »

Yup that was totally on my plan to remove that valve for sure. No idea what the guy who built it was thinking..

Thanks again all. Did a tonne of reading last night throughout the forums (the navigation/search around here is brutal) and still have some more reading to go.

Thanks again.
hobbitshooch
Novice

Post by hobbitshooch »

Yummyrum wrote:The most disturbing thing about your present still is the valve in the outlet .
Get rid of it .... if its closed , boom .

Glad to here you are thinking of moding this silly still .I think someone made their own version of a Nixon Stine offset still ...:: but got it seriously wrong . That twin valve arangemnt was used on a common design that urculater the web for many years but it was on a Reflux condenser that was open to the atmosphere...... as they should be to avoid the bomb effect

Valve is gone! :)