Stills from China

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Represto
Bootlegger

Stills from China

Post by Represto »

This topic hasn't quite been beat to death so I'm going to bring it up again.

While I'm passionate about the hobby of home distilling, and have been doing it for many years, I'm not at all interested in building my own still. For some it's a rite of passage. Like a Jedi building their light saber. But I would only see it as an obstacle and burden to build my own. I'd rather buy one and focus on what I actually enjoy, recipe development and the process.

I've come across a few seemingly good sellers on Alibaba, some of which supply familiar North American retailers. Has anyone here had experiences buying direct? Have you had issues with QA? Any words of wisdom from your experiences?
S-Cackalacky wrote:...distilling could be a religious experience - the wash, the vapor, and the holy spirit.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Re: Stills from China

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I don't know where these are made but this one works well. They offer many larger sizes. https://milehidistilling.com/product/3- ... ose-tower/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Represto
Bootlegger

Post by Represto »

I'm thinking 100L double walled with 4-6 plates. Once you get to the larger stills, the difference in price becomes significant between domestic and international vendors.
S-Cackalacky wrote:...distilling could be a religious experience - the wash, the vapor, and the holy spirit.
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

Never bought anything through Alibaba as the seller usually doesn't care about properly translating the description into English.
Selling a piece of equipment worth some hundreds dollars with an automatic translator gives me a clear idea of the professionality level I can expect.
Oftentimes the description is entirely misleading, not intentionally, but because of the automatic translation.

That said, I have nothing against "Made in China" in itself. The Chinese make serious stuff, good stuff, cheap stuff, horrible stuff, just like others. Buying from unprofessional sellers makes it more likely to get the horrible stuff.

If you live in the USA you have the luxury of having a large choice of manufacturers and models.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi
I use AliExpress it's a sub division of Alibaba a bit like eBay but the seller doesn't get paid until your goods arrive and you can open disputes and just like eBay buyers leave reviews does seem to weed out the bad

I bought my still from AliExpress really pleased with it found it was good quality, had some service issues that were frustrating wrong and missing parts but they did get sorted eventually. I have used since and would again simply because of price. If price wasn't an issue I'd use a local company but that isn't always the case I think that you have to look at is the saving worth the hassle.

I would like to build one day I have a keg but God knows how to get the spear out tried several times and it wins everytime. If I can't get the spear out what chance do I have I'm going to try again soon

Lee
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Try relieving the pressure first.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

johnsparrow wrote:Try relieving the pressure first.
Really? Is that your best advice thanks
MarcoF
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MarcoF »

Never used Aliexpress for this particular hobby (attracts Customs interest in my country), but for many others I did.
Remember Ali is just a platform, it doesn't sell stuff itself, it is the seller you need to look at. Sellers that produce their own stuff are strongly favored, as are the ones with good rating and the ones that specialize. Just like the real world. But even if you picked a less desirable one: the prospect of an Ali dispute tends to make them more accommodating :). I had 4 disputes in about 50 purchases, all ended in resends or cashbacks.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Manc wrote:
johnsparrow wrote:Try relieving the pressure first.
Really? Is that your best advice thanks
There's a shit ton of stuff here about removing keg spears ....HD google search is pretty amaze balls

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=4705 Check this out for starters ....scroll down about 15 posts ...identify your keg and go from there
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Thanks yummyrum

I'll check that thread I have looked at some and YouTube vids it's a g style keg I have an idea
Release pressure lift centre piece and twist clockwise just finding it difficult don't want to hijack this thread if I don't have any luck I'll ask sorry it was meant as a passing comment on my poor skills but thanks

Lee
Scorpster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Scorpster »

Bought a complete modular setup from AliExpress, happy with the quality and service from the seller Distillarus. Russian company ships from both China and Russia depending on destination.
Shipping time can vary wildly, but my 15g Boiler unit was in my home town within 72 hours and delivered the next business day!
Might even do a strip run tonight on some Rye Bread Whiskey.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Scorpster wrote:Bought a complete modular setup from AliExpress, happy with the quality and service from the seller Distillarus. Russian company ships from both China and Russia depending on destination.
Shipping time can vary wildly, but my 15g Boiler unit was in my home town within 72 hours and delivered the next business day!
Might even do a strip run tonight on some Rye Bread Whiskey.
what country are you in?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

I am in the USA and have also had good luck with Distillarus. Got my parts as described in a week.
Represto
Bootlegger

Post by Represto »

Just out of curiosity, what did they describe the still as on the shipping paperwork?
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

Steel pipe fittings
Represto
Bootlegger

Post by Represto »

I ordered my new 'water filter'. It's been shipped from China and en route to me. Here are some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/zdnWdae

Expect a full review once I have it in-hand.
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Wonder if it is from the same company I ordered mine from. Look similar mine should arrive in the next week or so.
1 (7).jpeg
Represto
Bootlegger

Post by Represto »

Sure does look similar. Double walled 100L boiler? Did you buy it off Tammy?
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Got mine a week ago. Pretty happy with it. Done my cleaning runs and have a 50l ujssm spirit run tomorrow.
20180907_114108_resized_1.jpg
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Distillernz wrote:Got mine a week ago. Pretty happy with it. Done my cleaning runs and have a 50l ujssm spirit run tomorrow.
20180907_114108_resized_1.jpg
I recon you should hide the tube coming off yer parrot.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Distillernz wrote:Got mine a week ago. Pretty happy with it. Done my cleaning runs and have a 50l ujssm spirit run tomorrow.
WOW! Does that thing make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs?
Represto
Bootlegger

Post by Represto »

Really nice! How's the operation? Any words of advice for those looking to operate a similar rig once theirs arrives in a few weeks?
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

I have removed the onion as I think it was causing too much reflux? With it I had to use a lot of power to get it to run nicely. Also make sure you only half fill the double wall boiler you want steam to build inside to make it heat efficiently.
Represto
Bootlegger

Post by Represto »

Good tip. I could be wrong, but I believe you have that onion upside down. Not sure that would have all that much impact but just saying.
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Would be the sort of mistake that I would make but I think in this instance it is the correct way around. Although I do live down under
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Distillernz wrote:I have removed the onion as I think it was causing too much reflux? With it I had to use a lot of power to get it to run nicely. Also make sure you only half fill the double wall boiler you want steam to build inside to make it heat efficiently.

You want steam to build up in it to make it heat efficiently?

Is there some kind of pressure relief or some such on it?

Water boils @ 100 Deg C you know, not much, if any, actually none, of your distilling would be done at above this temp?
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Yes they are fitted with pressure valves. If you fill it with water it will take much longer to heat. If you half fill it the steam under pressure will heat and therefore is more efficient.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi Distillernz

Thats a great setup you've got. I've been looking at getting a steam jacketed boiler but have no idea of where to start I have a few questions if you don't mind.

The boiler I am looking at is a 50 litre you have already answered the question about half filling for the steam to work under pressure thanks. What size element do you use to create the steam? What size is your boiler I could be tempted to go bigger lol

Are you planning on distilling on the grain and is that a stirrer you have connected to the boiler if so do you recommend.

Hope it's not to many questions and thank you in advance

Lee
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

HI Manc, I use two 3kw elements. My boiler is 100l and I like the size. I had a 50l keg boiler before and it was ok but I often wanted a little more capacity. I have thought about distilling on the grain but the cleanup worries me a little, Maybe someone else does and can chip in? I originally was not going to get the stirrer but decided was easier just to get it as if you don't plan for it at the start it is harder later, It is not needed at all after it gets to temp as the wash is going crazy and stirring itself. I did read somewhere that the wash heats up slightly quicker if you have it on while heating up. If you were distilling on the grain I guess it would be needed. Maybe where you are you can source local but for me there were no options and the service I received dealing direct from the factory was outstanding, And even with shipping and import charges well priced. If you want to go down that route message me and I can pass on the details.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

I've PM'd you thanks for the reply