My glass copper parrot.

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

solartje
Novice

My glass copper parrot.

Post by solartje »

I finished my version of a parrot.
This was my first soldering job.

Basic info:
28mm/1" main tube 25cm long. Large enough so the hydro doesn't touch the sides + smallest length to reduce lagging of proof measuring. In total it takes 150ml.
I have 22cm long hydro's so enough space to put a copper scrubber in it not to break the hydro.
34mm-28 reducer for the cup.
12mm od inlet and outlet.
Glass bell reducer that will go under my shotgun condenser.

Specials:
- the bottem of the main pipe is not a endcap but a copper endplate soldered on the inside right under the inlet to reduce smearing to a minimum.
- the inlet pipe goes all the way through the mainpipe and has 'shark fins' cut in pointing downwards to prefent alcohol of pushing the hydro upwards with the flow or turning. I tested the flow and the shark fins doesn't reduce it in any way.
- the glass bell reducer is a small 50cl rhum bottle. The glass is 1cm thick and very strong. Hard to break. I banged it against the wall and nothing. I cut the bottem of with a glass cutter, sanded the edges smooth and put ptfe tape around the neck to fit it in a 28mm coupler. The glass will let me see the condensate come out of the tubes of the shotty.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the help.
Attachments
IMG_20180612_165359.jpg
IMG_20180613_152546.jpg
IMG_20180520_190020-01.jpeg
IMG_20180626_221843-01.jpeg
IMG_20180626_222204-01.jpeg
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: My glass copper parrot.

Post by Twisted Brick »

Great job, Solartje! That second pic sure does remind me of an apparatus I used to have back in my college days...
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

WOW, love how the glass parrot intake bowl perfectly fits the output of the condenser. Sweetest i've seen here... but remember, glass bad. lol
spiritually taxed circa 1791
solartje
Novice

Post by solartje »

Thanks. The glass is not on the vapor side so there is no danger of explosion if it ever breaks. With the beating i gave the first failed atempt without braking i'm confident it will last a lifetime.

Yeah the bottle fits so nice it's like it was made for it.
The neck is 1" so it fits in a 28 coupler perfect
The body is 2" so it fits perfect with the shell of the shotty. The bottle costs as much as the copper reducer but you can drink the content :-) mmmm
solartje
Novice

Post by solartje »

Twisted Brick wrote:Great job, Solartje! That second pic sure does remind me of an apparatus I used to have back in my college days...
Hahaha we had the same one i think :mrgreen:

Edit: tested with the hydro's who arived.
No spinning at all but some vertical movement at constant changing max flow. Won't be a problem at normal distilling speed