Racking -The Auto Syphon

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Racking -The Auto Syphon

Post by fizzix »

I'm late to the party with this one, I'm sure. But there may be others like me.

My brew guy says my beer is too cloudy and I need to rack it from the yeast bed when done fermenting,
then rack it again later after more settlement. I said that sounded like a pain with my old generic naked syphon.
Then he introduced me to the $12.95 US auto syphon.
Life is now worth living.
Life is now worth living.
auto siphon.jpg (12.24 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
Not only is this thing FANTASTIC for beer racking, but syphoning off from that distiller's grain bed is a breeze.
No more charging my old tube syphon (never used my mouth). Just stick this auto-syphon in, and with one pump cycle it starts itself.

The person who invented this wonderful tool should've won the Nobel Prize.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Racking -The Auto Syphon

Post by Expat »

It's a nice tool, I have one. The only issue I have is really slooow.

After awhile I made a racking cane from 1/2" copper which helps.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by kiwi Bruce »

How do you start the siphon?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hey kiwi~
The top crook acts as handle to a long plunger -like a syringe gasket- down the body of the syphon.
Pull the "handle" up to draw liquid into the body, then plunge it down and the syphon starts, pushing liquid through the crook
and the attached hose. Truly a hydraulic wonder. It is a little slow, but I just clamp the syphon to its bucket and
rest the output hose into the receiver vessel and go do other things. When I come back, it's done!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

kiwi Bruce wrote:How do you start the siphon?
If this question was for me, the cane is attached to my siphon hose which had a one way valve and a priming bulb. Works like a champ.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Use one for just about everything i do. EXCEPT ag where it's just a waste of time with all the grain you gotta strain out anyway. Once you're off grain, its great.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I also use one with a photo tripod so I can set it just above the yeast bed. Holding it on with a rubber band on the handle allows me to set the height and walk away to do another task.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I have one and its a great tool :)

Careful - they melt when you stick it into a boiler full of hot backset.

I also use a vacuum pump, a racking cane, tubing, and some bungs to transfer into carboys and degas which is almost like magic. Can xfer a carboy in five min and since it’s under vacuum also degas and prevent foam up in the boiler.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I don't even rack my beer. I just have a spigot in the fermenter and gravity feed through a 20 then 50 micron inline filter like this https://www.amazon.com/Line-Strainer-st ... eer+filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. Into the secondary which also has a spigot where I bottle from . Really makes a clear beer. Also when bottling I use the 50 again
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have been known to position a tap somewhat above the level of the trub and just turn it on. Then get picky about what is left, probably pour it into a NARROW glass jar and let settle again and rack.

Geoff
The Baker
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

The Baker wrote:Then get picky about what is left, probably pour it into a NARROW glass jar and let settle again and rack.Geoff
I do this too, when I'm going to save my yeast and I'll give it a good acid wash.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

dieselduo wrote:I don't even rack my beer. I just have a spigot in the fermenter and gravity feed through a 20 then 50 micron inline filter like this https://www.amazon.com/Line-Strainer-st ... eer+filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. Into the secondary which also has a spigot where I bottle from . Really makes a clear beer. Also when bottling I use the 50 again
You did it again, dieselduo, with the in-line filter.
I owe you what? Five drinks now?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Got the inline filter, and it fits the tubing perfectly.
filter3.jpg
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

fizzix wrote:Got the inline filter, and it fits the tubing perfectly.
filter3.jpg
Yepper that's the one I use for bottling. When transferring from the primary I have a 20 mesh one in front of it which keeps the 50 from clogging too fast. If it clogs just turn off the flow rinse the filter and re-sanitize. Makes a lot clearer beer.
EagleCliffs
Novice

Post by EagleCliffs »

When you want an operation that is faster than the auto siphon, try a totally enclosed pond pump. They are cheap and very durable. Little Giants work very well. I see specialty pumps that costs hundreds of dollars, but a simple pond pump works great for me and you can pick out one that has a flow rate that fits your system. They don't have a high head capability, but most pot to pot transfers don't need much head. You can also incorporate an inline filter if needed.
I filter at the output of my stripping and rectifying columns with a simple drip coffee filter. It does a great job and the flow from the column is very low, so no volume issue. No need to get too fancy.
Tip: have a separate pump for handling your final product. You don't want to contaminate your vodka with a taste of wort of low wines. :shock: I do wash out the pump between uses, but still, just to be anal, er paranoid, er cautious. :econfused:
DSP-WA-15069
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi eagle cliff

We don't use plastic in contact with alcohol the auto siphon is only used in washes/mashes perhaps thats why the pumps are so expensive.

Lee