packing copper mesh into column

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

packing copper mesh into column

Post by MtRainier »

what do folks here do with copper mesh that comes in a roll when using it to pack a column?

I bought 1kg of copper mesh 5 meters long that is "6-wire mesh" that comes in a roll and is woven kind of like a long sock.

I was trying to decide between leaving it neatly rolled up tightly with a diameter just larger than my 4" column and shoving it down into the copper tubing, stacking it up in rolls (I'd maybe get about 15 inches stacked up that way) vs. spreading out the sock and kind of smashing it randomly down into the column. I maybe cover a bit more height by smashing it down randomly and it "feels" like that's the right way to make sure that all of the surface sees vapor.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: packing copper mesh into column

Post by Expat »

I've always stacked in rolls. Keeps the density consistent.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Rolls.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Thanks. Sounds like a plan.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Roles.
The stuff I order comes as a one pound role. I cut the long roll into pieces for individual roles. I tried different lengths to get a roll I like for my 2” column. I cut a one pound roles, 5” wide, into 8 equal lengths which fills my 35” long 2” column section and leaves me with one extra piece of mesh to cut up and stuff into my condensers. If it’s 6” wide I cut it into 7 equal sized pieces.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I see this is an old thread but I’m doing my research and reading trying to get back into refluxing neutrals. I started a few years ago and life got in the way so I pretty well forgot most everything

Anyway, running a 3”x 48” copper CCVM. Purchased a whole lot of copper mesh, sounds similar to what’s described above. I cut it up to make rolls that fit the column but I’mnot sure that it wasn’t packed too tight or what the issues was.

I was able to pull 95% and thought I got a good clean spirit (no smell, slightly sweet taste) but after proofing and having a few drinks I would come down with a bad headache. I retired the spirit and haven’t done much with it other than redistilled on BadMotivators rig. Which didn’t really help much.

I’m trying to get back into it, been reading the forum for days.. it sounds like mesh isn’t the best way to go for 3” diameter and larger, also it sounds like the Vapor Management still head is better/easier/more accurate than a CCVM (the CCVM fit my budget at the time, I might upgrade to the VM)

Also sounds like lava rock has proven to be an excellent packing? Maybe I can get directed to a thread on switching to it. I’ve been reading a couple of them, but it’s a lot of old info to get through.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Ridgeback816
Novice

Post by Ridgeback816 »

After a lot of reading I use lava rock in my 3 inch column for about 36 inches above that I use copper mesh for the last 16inches in my head it makes a clean product but what I have learned over the last few years is ever still is different and it takes a lot of trial and error to dial in your personal preferences
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

The Booze Pipe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:11 am Also sounds like lava rock has proven to be an excellent packing? Maybe I can get directed to a thread on switching to it. I’ve been reading a couple of them, but it’s a lot of old info to get through.
This quote from this thread is just about all you need to know about Lava Rock.
Lava rocks in the right size for column, like 3/16 - 1/4" for 2" or 1/4 - 5/16" for 3" will work very well.

StillerBoy
This is the Lava Rock I purchased. It used to be $14. I used a kitty litter scooper to sieve out the larger pieces and discarded the smaller pieces.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

For what it's worth, I ended up getting really large stainless scrubbies and packing them into the column on top of the rolls of copper mesh. They seem to clean up easier and are easier to pack and deal with. I put one plate in the bottom of the column to make sure they all stay in.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

MtRainier wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:58 am For what it's worth, I ended up getting really large stainless scrubbies and packing them into the column on top of the rolls of copper mesh. They seem to clean up easier and are easier to pack and deal with. I put one plate in the bottom of the column to make sure they all stay in.
it must be heavy duty copper mesh you got.
i get 500gm rolls and it's 9m long x 100ml wide.
i suppose it doesn't matter as long as the roll is tight in the column.
i use stainless scrubbies as well, which i ram in pretty tight with a broomstick (when HID isn't using it :wink: )
they ain't going nowhere and i don't use any plates, which i've heard can cause problems.
as long as you can breath through the column after you've packed it, it's ok apparently (try it on the MIL)
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The Booze Pipe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:11 am
I was able to pull 95% and thought I got a good clean spirit (no smell, slightly sweet taste) but after proofing and having a few drinks I would come down with a bad headache. I retired the spirit and haven’t done much with it other than redistilled on BadMotivators rig. Which didn’t really help much.
Booze pipes , iff’n you have got the same results on two different rigs , it suggests to me that maybe you might be not taking a big enough heads cut .
Sugar washes do tend to be sweetish , but heads can be really sweet and fruity .
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Sounds like 15” is not enough packing you can buy more or make your own.
viewtopic.php?t=47650
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I never achieved any flooding at the top of the column with copper mesh rolled into cylinders and stacked end to end in the 3” column. I figured that was a sign of the packing being too tight, but what I'm reading is you want it more tight than loose? I’m thinking I probably just need to get a run going and start the trial and error.

I’ll for sure start working on some lava rock, getting it screened so I can try that out. How critical is it to have that in a uniform size?
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:43 am
The Booze Pipe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:11 am
Booze pipes , iff’n you have got the same results on two different rigs , it suggests to me that maybe you might be not taking a big enough heads cut .
Sugar washes do tend to be sweetish , but heads can be really sweet and fruity .

I likely didn’t make good cuts, which I must of misunderstood that there is a significant difference in making cuts between a reflux run and a pot still run. Although this is off-topic for this thread; maybe we can move this discussion to an appropriate one?
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

The Booze Pipe wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:20 am I never achieved any flooding at the top of the column with copper mesh rolled into cylinders and stacked end to end in the 3” column. I figured that was a sign of the packing being too tight, but what I'm reading is you want it more tight than loose? I’m thinking I probably just need to get a run going and start the trial and error.

I’ll for sure start working on some lava rock, getting it screened so I can try that out. How critical is it to have that in a uniform size?
It doesn't have to be perfectly sized, but make an effort to screen it at least. I kept the small pieces that fell through the screen, loaded the column with the small bits and the column flooded pretty quickly. 4 rolls of copper mesh at the base of the column provides copper in the vapor path. I just pour some Lava Rock into the column, I smack the side of the column with the palm of my hand to make sure it's all settled/packed then I'll continue pouring it in. A canning jar funnel works well for this too. Once full, the packing just works every single time with no fiddling around. Copper mesh and stainless scrubbers vary in performance based on how tight or loose it is.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:31 am
The Booze Pipe wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:20 am Copper mesh and stainless scrubbers vary in performance based on how tight or loose it is.
That’s what I was really after. It’s what I was wondering about… how to get a more repeatable packing.

My column is copper pipe, but still makes sense to add some copper mesh to the column, maybe top and bottom of some lava, one or the other? Also, I have a perforated tri-clamp plate to hold a loose packing.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I found some threads that would be helpful ( haven’t read through all yet) figured I could add them here for future users to find

viewtopic.php?t=82845 Starts to get good then digresses.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82850

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30727
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Where is a good place to buy packing from? My source has dried up .
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

dieselduo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:55 pm Where is a good place to buy packing from? My source has dried up .
Search Aliexpress.com
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

dieselduo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:55 pm Where is a good place to buy packing from? My source has dried up
If I Google "copper mesh distilling " a whole heap of options come up. Everyone from Still Dragon to Ebay , to Allie Express.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

The Booze Pipe wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:04 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:31 am
The Booze Pipe wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:20 am Copper mesh and stainless scrubbers vary in performance based on how tight or loose it is.
That’s what I was really after. It’s what I was wondering about… how to get a more repeatable packing.

My column is copper pipe, but still makes sense to add some copper mesh to the column, maybe top and bottom of some lava, one or the other? Also, I have a perforated tri-clamp plate to hold a loose packing.

Since my still is mostly all stainless (except for the condensers), I use copper mesh to to have copper in the vapor path as well as to support the Lava Rock. You don't need mesh on top of Lava Rock. I prefer to use copper mesh over stainless scrubbers because copper mesh is more rigid and doesn't compress like scrubbers do. When you compact scrubbers too much, it causes a choke point and causes flooding. Some use Tri-Clamp screens to support packing, but fine screens can cause flooding too. Copper mesh just works great all around.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Got ya, missed or forgot some of those details. Thanks
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still