Most everything you need to know about - VALVES -

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Most everything you need to know about - VALVES -

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

After building a new cooling system I went through a number of issues, mostly flow control related. I realized those cheap and easy ball valves I used for everything really didn't do a good job for flow control on my cooling water. I ended up using a gate valve. It was AWESOME. I can now easily control the water perfectly to both my shotgun condenser and my alembic worm tub. So to minimize the research you'll need I did I wrote a wiki article on it. Enjoy and I hope it helps you out. If you have any recommendations let me know and I can update the wiki page.

https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Valve" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Most everything you need to know about - VALVES -

Post by OtisT »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote:If you have any recommendations let me know and I can update the wiki page.
Possibly a common/proper use list: Product condensers, reflux condensers, liquid Product, vapor, master cooling flow valve. May need to be more specific, like differentiating between deflag reflux style vs VM reflux condensers, etc.

Possibly why it’s not used for list, and why’s. This may be self evident from the control characteristics if you know how to distill, but may not be obvious to noobs.

Possibly a Materials or valve grade section separate from the various styles. A place to discuss materials (SS vs Brass. Recommending seal types to use/avoid, etc.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Thanks, that's a good list. I was thinking that someone other than me (as I suck at art/drawing) can make a drawing of a still setup and show where what valves are used and why. Tons of work but I think worth it in the end. It's not something we really talk about so it's good to get out there. We don't really have a good single place we show each still type so your suggestion is really something we need.

Also the material grade and where or not to use a specific type is good too. I'll have to research that one a bit. But hey, that's what I do. :thumbup:
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Great little guide. Diagrams would def be choice
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanks, Single Malt Yinzer!