New concept on machine for SPP

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DAD300
Master of Distillation

New concept on machine for SPP

Post by DAD300 »

Look at this video starting around 4:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OQitqZ6cjc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mandrell, which is round but doesn't have to be, moves in this but there could be options.

Screw keeps unwound stock in place.
snapshot.jpg
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
decoy
Rumrunner

Re: New concept on machine for SPP

Post by decoy »

I already tried something very similar, but gave up as its too laborious.
I used a 1.6mm dia tungsten carbide tig electrode as the former
I used a little bit of 1/4" brass hex bar drilled a hole in the centre to push one end of the electrode in and filed a groove to hold the starting end of the copper wire I was winding.
I held the bit of brass hex bar in the drill chuck and positione the end of a ~.8mm 400mm length of wire into the groove and pressed a piece of leather patch down on the wire with my finger and started the drill.
it made the coils quickly but it took ages to make 1x 100mm long section to fit in 2" tube.

The below idea is far less time consuming, just wind multi strand copper wire from the scrap yard.
Maybe even winding like a spool using a loose cross hatch pattern.

will be giving these a test in the near future.
auOIrHs.jpg
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I haven't made any myself, but conceptually its the cutting holding me back more than the forming. The crazy automatic guillotines I've seen look cool AF, and scary AF too! Has automated cutting been sorted and I just missed it?
decoy
Rumrunner

Post by decoy »

this was my attempt at winding coils and forming structured packing.
I tried a few methods but winding the coils was a time cluster F$#^K.
In the one below itried winding the coils at an angle to lengthen the vapor path.
CYL1UEe.jpg
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

DAD300 wrote:Look at this video starting around 4:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OQitqZ6cjc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mandrell, which is round but doesn't have to be, moves in this but there could be options.

snapshot.jpg
I can see that easily being modified so a cheap bastard such as myself can make SPP with it, I just need to figure out what size my 3.5" column needs and of course how to make it... Like I need one more crazy idea :crazy:
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

cranky wrote:
DAD300 wrote:Look at this video starting around 4:45.

The attachment snapshot.jpg is no longer available
I can see that easily being modified so a cheap bastard such as myself can make SPP with it, I just need to figure out what size my 3.5" column needs and of course how to make it... Like I need one more crazy idea :crazy:
I think SPP is a worth while endeavor, especially for 3" or larger columns because I do not recall having found SPP for sale that is designed for columns larger than 2". I recall the average price being approx $30 per liter + shipping.

I have read that the recommended measurements for the optimal performance is:
Diameter of the SPP should be 1/10 to 1/12 diameter of column
Diameter of wire should be 1/10 to 1/12 diameter of packing
SPP length should be 1/10 to 1/12 diameter of column

Creating a mandrel that creates the appropriate prismatic pattern as well as the proper diameter would likely be the first thing you would have to do. Many have used a triangle file, grind it down to create the taper and securing something to it to serve as a rounded stop for the wire.

How to best cut the long spirals/coils into appropriate length would likely be the next challenge. I've read where some people say they just sit in front of the TV and cut the pieces manually. Others have automated this for convenience. A manual cutting jig could probably be made to give more leverage for manual cutting.

I suspect that a traditional mandrel secured in the chuck of a variable speed drill would be most efficient for homemade SPP. A variable speed drill secured down to a board, a simple wire tension device and perhaps an adjustable device to variably push the trigger to control speed of the drill (or just operate manually). A similar device is shown on this page only he also included an automated cutting mechanism.
Attachments
mandrel.jpg
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Yes, that's in the 'Someday' category for me. I've seen that video before and love it. But I get pretty good performance with my Perlite stone, and I bought a sh!t ton of it for cheap. Shipped via online and weighs nothing.

I did a version of that spring making thing too, with a 3 ft. x 1/4" diameter rod to make long springs. Then cut them into individual rings. Then linked them together and closed them with plyers. Spent a year doing it when I was a kid for my Halloween project, which involved among other things a chainmail tunic and hauberk. And yes, I was knitting that metal while sitting in front of the TV for hours.