Where canI get or make one of these ? barrel clamp

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Where canI get or make one of these ? barrel clamp

Post by Pikey »

As you can see my old barrel clamp is on it's last legs - They are great sealing rings and there seem to be loads of plastic barrels with them on - but I can't find one for sale on i's own and I want to do some more builds using them.

They're simple enough, just a semi circular section of steel tube with a simple closer on the join but I can't for teh life of me think of a way to bend a semi circulae section of steel tube without kinking - and I can't find them for sale - although there must be entire factories just churning them out by the thousand.

I'm in Uk

ANy ideas please lads ?
barrel clamp resize.jpg
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Where canI get or make one of these ? barrel clamp

Post by Manc »

Hi pikey

Give these a try nice people I've only ever collected might just sell you the clamp I have 120 litre ones if you need the size of that

https://www.dvcontainers.co.uk/category ... tID=4&pg=2

Lee
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I think I remember some guy who described the making of such a ring. On a Dutch forum. Try to find it.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I can not find it, but if I remember correctly, it was like this.

First you bend a thin, long piece of iron lengthewise in the shape of a half-pipe.
If possible you find a copper or iron pipe of suitable size to fit in the made halfpipe.
This you bend more or less in the desired shape.
Then you remove the added pipe and you have a suitable ring.

The joint you have to make yourself.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Depends on the size but look about to see if the size you want is in use for a lid clamp on some product, say cooking fat.
People who use fryers, for example, may be throwing out what you need.

Geoff
The Baker
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Pikey I know were half a world apart but I have seen barrels with rings and sometimes rings by themselves at
several locations hope this helps. the local scrappie, auto repair shop, heavy equip repair, farm supply,
fertilizer company, petrol supplier, car wash, lube center, there are more but my brain is baked.
what size is your barrel? gallon or imperial? I have 2 that close with bolts instead of camlock.
if your ring still good and the cam toast add some lugs for a bolt
good luck.
be water my friend
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Check scrap yards or manufacturer that uses corn syrup or the like I can buy once used corn syrup fifty five gallon drums for eight dollars each from a guy who brings them home from the bakery he works at. Most of them have lock rings and two drain holes one the is two inches and one that is one inch on opposite sides. Good luck.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I asked and the guy who did this made a kind of waterlock, so an upright U. He took a strip of copper and bended into a kind of U. Then he inserted an iron pipe and bended the whole in the desired round, got rid of the iron and welded or solderded the rounded U on the top of the bottomhalf of his kettle. He put the top half of his kettle in it and made a waterlock.
But you could do the same, only with a 90 degree turning. (Are imperial degrees the same as metric ones? ;) )

Oh, and when you are constructing yourself, you could make a lock like you wish. For example with a screw, like a triclamp.