2" Copper Ferrules..... in bulk

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

2" Copper Ferrules..... in bulk

Post by jog666 »

Does anyone know where on the interwebz that I can find some 2" copper ferrules, cheaper or in bulk? Im looking at needing 24 to make it completely modular & completely copper. Im not wanting cheap ones that I will have to "finish" just to use. Just wondering if yall know of bulk pricing.

On a side note, I am waiting on replies to several emails about this from places online.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: 2" Copper Ferrules..... in bulk

Post by Yummyrum »

Have you contacted Emptyglass . I’ve used his 4” ones.
http://www.coppercustomstillcomponents.com.au
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

For the cost difference you could buy 45% silver rod and braze stainless fittings, and buy lots of O2. If it's an aesthetic choice I can't help you but imo copper fittings (I have several) are just easier to bang up, and more expensive.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

Yummy that's a great price though! I'm assuming those are AUD but either way its still a good price.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

pope wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:33 pm Yummy that's a great price though! I'm assuming those are AUD but either way its still a good price.
Unfortunately the four inch are out of stock. ( "read more" )

Geoff
The Baker
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Give Emptyglass a message, he's a little busy for the next couple of days, but im sure he wont mind knocking up some ferrules when he can if needed.
Im not sure thats his current pricing though...
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

Take a look at these...

Also in 4"

Derrin may be able to do a better deal in quantity...
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:54 pm Have you contacted Emptyglass . I’ve used his 4” ones.
http://www.coppercustomstillcomponents.com.au
Very nice! Thanks yummy. If the shipping cost doesnt kill it, those are by far the cheapest.
pope wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:32 pm For the cost difference you could buy 45% silver rod and braze stainless fittings, and buy lots of O2. If it's an aesthetic choice I can't help you but imo copper fittings (I have several) are just easier to bang up, and more expensive.
I cant argue with the price & ease of banging up copper but Im wanting all copper above the kegs. I went back & forth for a while on this and finally said "fuck it". Yes it adds a good bit to the overall cost & labor but the rabbit hole is getting deeper every time I try to fix or improve something with it so why bother worrying about the cost?

RC Al wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:17 am Give Emptyglass a message, he's a little busy for the next couple of days, but im sure he wont mind knocking up some ferrules when he can if needed.
Im not sure thats his current pricing though...
I plan to.

jimmayhugh wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:06 am Take a look at these...

Also in 4"

Derrin may be able to do a better deal in quantity...

I have an email from them now.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

I ended up ordering a few from still dragon after LWTCS told me they fit on the outside. Looking at the picture I figured they would do good for the shotgun since they are bigger on the ID. After fiddling with them I noticed the teflon seals I normally use wouldnt seat correctly. I did some measuring, called SD, took & sent them some pictures then called them back. It more or less blew their mind.

The ID at the base of the ridge on the seal was smaller than the matching part on the ferrule. Something like .040-.045", enough to not work right. SD told me to just pick up a few silicone seals & run it since silicone will stetch. Plus thats what they use. That would bother be to much knowing that I had to run 2 different seals ONLY in those parts. Not to mention the anti-silicone attitude around here (which I follow).

Below is one of the pictures I sent to SD to show the difference between their ferrule & the other kind I got.
20200226_103548.jpg

With a dead lathe at work I ended up just taking a die grinder to them & beveling that ridge for the seals to sit right.

Im not knocking SD or their parts, just a heads up for anyone else looking into the copper ferrules & using teflon seals.
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

I recently had the same problem with two inch copper ferrules from stilldragon and their own 2 inch sight glass kits. Luckily I had access to a lathe and recut the copper ferrule to accepted tri clover specs.
Hornetlm42
Novice

Post by Hornetlm42 »

Hi guys
So where is the best in UK to get copper Ferrules