Fermenter Cart Build

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SirSmartyPants
Novice

Fermenter Cart Build

Post by SirSmartyPants »

I decided to build a cart for my fermenters. It will happen in a few phases, so I'll update this thread as I go.

I've been using a FastFerment 7.9 gallon conical fermenter for a couple years now, and it's worked well for me. I do my cooking/mashing in the garage, which isn't temperature-controlled, so I usually have to carry the fermenter down to the basement (which is heated/cooled) to keep it at the right temperature. I wanted to get a second fermenter so that I can have two washes going at once, spaced a day or two apart, so that as each ferment is done I can do a stripping run and combine them into a single spirit run. I definitely didn't want to lug two of them up and down the stairs (cuz I'm pretty lazy), so I'm building a cart for them.

Here it is now, toward the end of Phase 1:
IMG_8419.jpg
I still need to add a top rail and build a removable shelf that will be about half the length of the cart. It will hook to the top rail, suspended above one of the fermenters. That will allow me to set my mash tun on the shelf and drain it into the fermenter on the opposite side. Then, I'll just move it to the other side to fill the second fermenter.

The next phase will be to add an insulated floor and back panel, and to build insulated enclosure walls that I can attach/detach as needed. I'll also wire in a thermostatically-controlled outlet into which I can plug a small space heater for wintertime fermenting.

More updates as progress is made. Always happy to hear suggestions, ideas, or constructive criticism!

~ Ron
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fermenter Cart Build

Post by greggn »

SirSmartyPants wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:40 am That will allow me to set my mash tun on the shelf and drain it into fermenter on the other side.
Are your fermenters high enough to gravity feed into a secondary or your boiler ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
SirSmartyPants
Novice

Re: Fermenter Cart Build

Post by SirSmartyPants »

greggn wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 am Are your fermenters high enough to gravity feed into a secondary or your boiler ?
Yup, they sit just high enough to drain into my boiler. It's an 8-gallon kettle from Brewhaus.

~ Ron