PTFE mat, anyone use it?

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ErnieV
Swill Maker

PTFE mat, anyone use it?

Post by ErnieV »

Hello people
I have used the recommended PTFE and cardboard seal in the past.

However, when doing a search on eBay recently for clamps, I discovered that they come with a PTFE gasket.

So, I decided to try a search for PTFE mat so that I can make my own. There was plenty available.

Anyone used it? What thickness do you recommend?

Regards
ErnieV
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: PTFE mat, anyone use it?

Post by hellbilly007 »

There is an expanded ptfe sheet (think carbonated) that would be much easier to use as a gasket. As for thickness, I don't have a recommendation. I can't find it very cheap, but I guess that's relative to the user.

Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I have seen it on aliexpress but I have never used it in carpet form. For the thickness we say that you have to adjust according to the use and the dimensions it can fill, I would say a few more mm if it is of the expanded type.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

ErnieV wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:10 am I have used the recommended PTFE and cardboard seal in the past.
I've used mat board material for making a gasket with along with wrapping teflon tape with it.. some of the gasket made have lasted over 3 yrs.. cheap to make and easy to make.. cardboard will work but not the best as they are weaker in structure compared to mat board..

The only issue with mat board gasket ( and that goes for cardboard also) is that they have to be dried after being between two hard surface such as a pieces of paneling board.. every now and then, give it a wrap and good as new again..

Mars
how to make a mat board gasket
how to make a mat board gasket
what all required to keep then stright
what all required to keep then stright
one that has been in use for a few yrs
one that has been in use for a few yrs
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein