1/4 Inch (6mm) connection

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sandslinger
Novice

1/4 Inch (6mm) connection

Post by Sandslinger »

So I have a almost finished Bokabok, the only thing missing is connecting the outake 6mm tubing to my needle valve alcohol outlet , which is the type below.

https://distillinguk.b-cdn.net/wp-conte ... jpg?x22029

My still is comprised of 3 pipes connected by ferrules, which was a conscious decision as I need to be able to pack it away in limited space between use.

My needle valve comes out right at the bottom of the top piece, which is the actual still, this means i have limited space for my outake tubing (about 4cm)

I have understood that the liquid can come out pretty hot, and because of this many people decide to make the outlet copper pipe long and windy, or take the extra step and make a liebig or worm condenser, that the cooling water can pass through cooling the product, before going into the actual still.

The thing is that to keep my still modular(separable) I don't have the space to spare below my outlet for large attachments.

My question is as follows (apologies if its an obvious answer)

The obvious answer seems to me to create some sort of modular liebig that I can attach and remove as necessary. But I don't know of any connections that allow that for a pipe of this size.

I can't find any ferrule's that will fit 6mm, and I don't know of any other connection types that are water tight, tackle alcohol and can stand the temperatures.

I have access to steel hose connections for 6mm, and I considered connecting one of them to the outlet, then use a small bit of hose, and connecting that hose via another steel hose connection to 6mm pipe entrance to a condenser. It just seems like I might be overcomplicating, and it certainly doesn't feel like a elegant solution.

Is there some obvious answer here I am ignorant of ?
Last edited by Sandslinger on Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: 1/4 Inch (6mm) connection

Post by NZChris »

You can't mix and match fittings for 6mm tubing and 1/4" (6.4mm) tubing, so identify what it is you have before you go shopping for fittings.
Sandslinger
Novice

Post by Sandslinger »

NZChris wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:21 pm You can't mix and match fittings for 6mm tubing and 1/4" (6.4mm) tubing, so identify what it is you have before you go shopping for fittings.
My bad I was trying to be helpful to the US crowd by writing the conversion. I have 6mm fittings.
Sandslinger
Novice

Post by Sandslinger »

Sandslinger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:43 pm
NZChris wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:21 pm You can't mix and match fittings for 6mm tubing and 1/4" (6.4mm) tubing, so identify what it is you have before you go shopping for fittings.
My bad I was trying to be helpful to the US crowd by writing the conversion. I have 6mm copper tube and 6mm tubing.
My issue is that I can't find any non-permanent fitting for 6mm nor for 1/4 for that matter. I am after copper fittings that are detachable but water thight. I guess they could be made of steel or brass, as well long as they have connection that doesn't require soldering.

After googling a bit more I guess what I am after is a metal push fitting that can be used in a steel and fits 6mm tubing. Worst case I guess I could solder the 6mm up to the required size if needed.

My understanding is that the union fitting on the valve i linked works by cutting into the pipe, so once i tighten it I can't just unscrew and reuse it.
ismbardbrunel123
Novice

Post by ismbardbrunel123 »

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Sandslinger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:44 pm

My bad I was trying to be helpful to the US crowd by writing the conversion. I have 6mm copper tube and 6mm tubing.
Thank you brother :thumbup:

Sandslinger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:44 pm My understanding is that the union fitting on the valve i linked works by cutting into the pipe, so once i tighten it I can't just unscrew and reuse it.
Are you asking about this type of fitting :?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_fitting
Sandslinger
Novice

Post by Sandslinger »

shadylane wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:56 pm
Sandslinger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Thank you brother :thumbup:

Sandslinger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:44 pm My understanding is that the union fitting on the valve i linked works by cutting into the pipe, so once i tighten it I can't just unscrew and reuse it.
Are you asking about this type of fitting :?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_fitting
My understanding of compression fittings is that once I screw that nut, the little tube inside the nut, cuts into the pipe itself, and then I can't simply unscrew it and screw it back on later, because the pipe is nicked, and the compression tube is single use, isn't that right ?

I see that there are these type of push fittings, that looks like they can be clipped on and off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SR58ZNY/re ... NrPXRydWU=

but they always have plastic components in them (PU/PA/FEP/PFA), and I am trying fervently to avoid that in my still. I looked for ones with LDPE plastic, but haven't found any.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sandslinger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:53 pm My understanding is that the union fitting on the valve i linked works by cutting into the pipe, so once i tighten it I can't just unscrew and reuse it.
Instead of using the olive, I wind PTFE tape around the tube.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Sandslinger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:53 pm
My understanding of compression fittings is that once I screw that nut, the little tube inside the nut, cuts into the pipe itself, and then I can't simply unscrew it and screw it back on later, because the pipe is nicked, and the compression tube is single use, isn't that right ?
The ring is one time use, once it's tightened and compressed on the tube.
The fitting is designed to be taken apart as needed, to remove and reattach the valve or condenser.
You can "simply unscrew it and screw it back on later"
What you already have, is what you need. :wink:
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

you can disconnect and reconnect compression fittings without replacing the olive. but what NZChris recommends will

not crimp the olive to your 6mm tube and that leaves all your options open. use stainless don't even mess with brass.

option 3 is use the olive and 2 wraps of PTFE tape over the olive and it should seal before crimping the olive to the

tube. all 3 ways can be disconnected and reconnected.
be water my friend
Sandslinger
Novice

Post by Sandslinger »

NZChris wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:29 pm
Sandslinger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:53 pm My understanding is that the union fitting on the valve i linked works by cutting into the pipe, so once i tighten it I can't just unscrew and reuse it.
Instead of using the olive, I wind PTFE tape around the tube.
Dang, kind of obvious huh.

Thanks I'll give that a try.