SPP packing weight... possible problem

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

SPP packing weight... possible problem

Post by bronctoad »

Okay! :econfused: I can't seem to find what I did wrong with making my spp from the notes I picked up in here.

I have a 36"X 3" ss CCVM column. I went with the 1/10th of the column for the diameter of the packing(.300")

and 150% X dia. or .450" for the length. I used .025" 308l ss wire. my spp is not a perfect .300 X.450"

my actual range is .290" to .320" dia. X .380" to .500" length. Although most is a closer to .420 to .480"

so I thought that being within 10% of my goal size I would of been good to go.

In my notes from my research I had writen down 12 to 15 LBS to fill my 36" column. I made 16 lbs.

:?: heres where I'm fetched up. :?: :!:

It only took 7.5 LBS to fill my column even with tamping the column to settle the packing?

I looked for where I got my notes from and can't find whatever I used for sizing and quantity.

So I'm asking if any of the heavies here to see if there is an obvious blunder in my research for material

sizing and or the outcome :(

Oh the reason I'm asking is I haven't dismanteled the machine yet so if I need to make a smaller size,

packing it is still possible.

P.S. by the by I'm in time out with stilling operations for a while so adding still parts is all I get for my fix :cry:

thanks in advance guys :wave:
bronctoad
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: SPP packing weight... possible problem

Post by StillerBoy »

Off hand I would say your SPP are to big..

My 3" x 36" is filled with about 12 Lbs and the size are about 4 x 4 mm..

I didn't make them, and were purchased about 4 yrs back.. I personally don't like them..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

well aparently I just wasted $300 in wire for an equation rooted for a 2" column

lovely. not.

the 1/10h of column dia. size spp rule of thumb only works math wise for 1.5 to 2" column.

I saw this mentioned ,several times, so its what I went with. F*#% I let the f--ing metric system

and my unablity to convert it blow 2 months of work!!!

going to the corner to lick my wounds for a spell. hope everyone else has a spectacular week
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Lava rocks. Cheap, better than spp imo, at least equal performance. $20.

Sell the SPP to one of the face book guys and get your money back. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:10 am Lava rocks. Cheap, better than spp imo, at least equal performance. $20.

Sell the SPP to one of the face book guys and get your money back. :thumbup:
That's what I would do. Even if you dont cover 100% of your costs, at least you got something besides a lesson.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

How do your spp's perform compared to what you used in the past?
At least they should be long lasting, easy to clean, and easy to load/unload.
They have to be easier to work with than scrubbies.
Depending on how well they perform, you might only have to sell off half.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

Not sure if I understand the problem. Doesnt matter about the weight and the fill. Did you run it and see if it did the job? If not, you really have wasted your time.
Deethe
Novice

Post by Deethe »

I have a 36"X 3" ss CCVM column. I went with the 1/10th of the column for the diameter of the packing(.300")
Sorry, metric guy here.
.300" makes 7.62 mm in diameter. That's too large for such a short column.
For a 2" column 1 meter long either 3.5x3.5 mm or 4x4 mm is recommended, and up to 5x5 mmf or 3" columns.
Your column is only 91 cm long, so I'd use smaller SPP (4x4 mm, which is roughly .157").

Now for the packing itself.
My calculator says your column has 4.146 liters of inner volume (a gallon?). And the SPP packing will weigh 4.561 kg (10 pounds) for 4x4 mm.
Oh the reason I'm asking is I haven't dismanteled the machine yet so if I need to make a smaller size,
packing it is still possible.
If your machine is hard to dismantle, you will have hard times cleaning it. SPP may need thorough cleaning when it gets smudged with tails - and believe me, tails on a reflux still are nasty...