Column listening device?

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Column listening device?

Post by bunny »

The column that I use for potable product does not have a sight glass.
My test column does have a Seiko watch crystal siliconed onto a tee, but it's a test column made from readily available materials.
P1050142.JPG
I would like to listen to the sounds of my column running at it's most efficient/productive speed.
Ideally I would like to plug the device into the aux jack on a Sangean portable radio.
This would give me "background" sound while working in my one car garage with a car in it and stop scorching my ears on hot copper.

I haven't found something suitable as of yet and am not an electronics wizard.
Was wondering if anyone has something like this and would share with us(me) less creative types?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Column listening device?

Post by Deplorable »

Silicone? That's a terrible product to have in the vapor path.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

a stethoscope was the first thing I thought of , I used to have one for listening for leaks when fixing bicycle inner tubes but then you said something that plugs into headphones so I looked on ebay and it turns out there are actually digital stethoscopes but they are pretty expensive.

maybe some kind of spy surveillance device . I typed in + "listening device" into ebay and got quite a few results . these are a lot cheaper but I have never used anything like that

sightglasses are great , mine really helped me understand running my still . your prototype watch glass one is pretty creative and if you used the right homemade gasket and some kind of way to clamp it you could use it for drinking alcohol
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Do you own any kind of microphone?

edit; to keep from burning your ear

use a paper towel roll as a stand off.
be water my friend
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Thanks guys for some good ideas. I was really hoping for some first hand experience.

This afternoon I was doing some comparing of different packing materials in my 24"ish Seiko test column.
There is a distinct sound as the reflux semi floods just above the packing.
Then the terrifying sound of imminent flooding disaster racing up the pipe.
It's not an easy balancing act to run on the edge in a very small column.
I have a plastic automotive type funnel that I use to fill packing into my column.
I slipped it over the open end of my RF and it sort of works like a megaphone.
On the lookout for something resembling a light weight Victrola horn.

cob- no I don't own a microphone, just the radio with aux jack.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

bunny wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:44 pm It's not an easy balancing act to run on the edge in a very small column.
You have to work with tenth of an amp adjustment.. and give it time to settle or adjust itself..

Once the column is in semi flooded state, reduce power slightly, allow to settle for a minute or two, then tweak it just a tenth..

Not that difficult once you understand the behavior..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Piezo mics are flat and easy to glue to the outside of the pipe. The sound might lack a bit of higher frequencies, depending on the piezo. You‘ll might need a pre amp, though. Have a look at local music shops. I wouldn‘t use e-drum piezo pickups. They‘re made for a different purpose.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

bunny wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:54 am My test column does have a Seiko watch crystal siliconed onto a tee,
LOL , after reading the Topic name and having a Farther as a Watchmaker and being a TV Tech for 30 years , I jumped to the idea that you had a 32kHz resonator siliconed to your Tee and were somehow using that as a transducer to Listen to your still . ( Missed the pic that clearly shows a watch glass and case ) :oops: Dad would be shaking his head .
Kindafrench wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:26 am Piezo mics are flat and easy to glue to the outside of the pipe.
Maybe Kindafrench went there too .

Actually not a bad suggestion . If you get one of those Piezo buzzers , the Piezo Insert inside the plastic case makes a good pickup and as its basically ceramic and metal , should handle the heat . I’ve used them as pickups on musical instruments .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Spec Savers Yummy ?
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Once the column is in semi flooded state, reduce power slightly, allow to settle for a minute or two, then tweak it just a tenth..

Not that difficult once you understand the behavior..

Mars
[/quote]

Are we looking for liquid boiling over the top of the packing or a dry top to the packing?