Reliable Proof/Tralles Hydrometer

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle B
Site Donor
Site Donor

Reliable Proof/Tralles Hydrometer

Post by Uncle B »

Greetings, all,

Quick question - does anyone have an online source for a reliable proof/tralles hydrometer?

I have one that I used for a while, but after a while thought the paper in it might have slipped. Purchased another, tested them against each other, and found about a 1%/2 proof difference. Not too big a deal. But then I tested both in a commercial vodka, and both read roughly 86 proof in an 80 proof bottle. (Lesson learned - check your meters!)

Anyway, would love a reliable source if anyone has one they've checked and are happy with.

Thanks!

Uncle B
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Reliable Proof/Tralles Hydrometer

Post by Demy »

I have different types, I have a set (measuring step) useful for a short parrot like mine https://amzn.to/3kO0Wsd
Then I have a long classic type similar to this (do not use the plastic cylinder) https://amzn.to/2wity2v
Both are very precise for hobby use, especially the first.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Demy maybe it’s just my iPad but your second link went to sales on Amazon and not the cylinder.
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

Be sure to compensate for the temperature when taking a reading. I think 60 deg F is the reference standard for these. If your vodka was warmer it would be less dense and give a higher reading than actual.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Chucker wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 am Be sure to compensate for the temperature when taking a reading. I think 60 deg F is the reference standard for these. If your vodka was warmer it would be less dense and give a higher reading than actual.
+1
Readings must corrected for temperature.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Mr Sippy
Bootlegger

Post by Mr Sippy »

Sources vary but look for one that is NIST traceable. Think I paid $25.
Be Kind, Tell the Truth, Sip Good Whiskey
Uncle B
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Uncle B »

Thanks all. I made sure my temp for the vodka was a precise 60° F, which is the baseline for both hydrometers. No issue there.

Not sure about the first one (as I tossed the packaging), but the second one is Brewing America's "Pro Series Hydrometer" and listed as "professional grade" and NIST Traceable.

So either Skyy Vodka is giving us a little sumpin' extra, or Brewing America is full of it...