Soldering 1/2” SS ferrule to a 1/2” copper pipe

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PeatyKeats
Novice

Soldering 1/2” SS ferrule to a 1/2” copper pipe

Post by PeatyKeats »

I was planning on soldering a 1/2” SS ferrule to a 1/2” copper pipe to connect my 2” copper riser to a copper Liebig condenser (1” water jacket on a 1/2” inner pipe). The ferrule isn’t as snug in the copper pipe as I’d like.
I’m trying to replicate something like this, but w/ all copper except ferrules.

I’ve been working on my soldering, am awaiting liquid flux, have MAPP gas, and have been studying up on soldering SS to copper.

https://moonshinedistiller.com/copper- ... er-2-inch/

Any suggestions on making a tighter fit with the ferrules on the copper?

Thank you for any feedback.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Soldering 1/2” SS ferrule to a 1/2” copper pipe

Post by still_stirrin »

PeatyKeats wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:07 pmAny suggestions on making a tighter fit with the ferrules on the copper?
Can you wrap the pipe with a strand of fine copper wire? I have a roll of electrical wire, stranded, with each of the strands about 24 or 26 gage (almost like hair). Twist it around the pipe and insert it into the ferrule. It should fill the gap and draw in the solder to make a solid joint.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
PeatyKeats
Novice

Post by PeatyKeats »

SS

I will look in to that. I figured I’d have to create a shim of sorts. That may be the trick.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

This stuff might also work quite well in a similar way with wicking the solder into the gap.

MIKIMIQI Solder Wicks, No-Clean Solder Braided Wicks Desoldering Wicks Solder Removal Tool, 0.1 Inch Width 3 Meter Length
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I have a 6 in 1 swaging tool that I bought at harbor freight years ago. now available on amazon.

another way is to find a 1/4" socket that almost fits your pipe and drive it in and out to expand your

pipe to a more favorable diameter. anneal the end of your copper first to soften it, and you can make

it expand quite a bit. good luck.
be water my friend
PeatyKeats
Novice

Post by PeatyKeats »

cob wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:03 pm I have a 6 in 1 swaging tool that I bought at harbor freight years ago. now available on amazon.

another way is to find a 1/4" socket that almost fits your pipe and drive it in and out to expand your

pipe to a more favorable diameter. anneal the end of your copper first to soften it, and you can make

it expand quite a bit. good luck.
That’s good to know. But, my problem is that it’s not snug enough.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

99.99% Pure Copper Foil, 0.001''x4''x79''(0.03MM x 0.1M x 2M), Thin Copper Sheet Sealed Package

Copper foil cut into strips and wrapped around the end of the pipe to shim it tight with a good dose of flux then hit it with the hard silver solder to wick it into the joint. Prep the SS surface too.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

The the cheapest and easiest method of filling the space between a ferrule or a copper joint that has looseness, is making copper wire tabs of veriest sizes and making a V shape tab.. works on all fitting connection.. cheap, quick and easy..

Mars
Picture 0041.jpg
Picture 0051.jpg
Picture 0181.jpg
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
PeatyKeats
Novice

Post by PeatyKeats »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:24 am The the cheapest and easiest method of filling the space between a ferrule or a copper joint that has looseness, is making copper wire tabs of veriest sizes and making a V shape tab.. works on all fitting connection.. cheap, quick and easy..

Mars
Picture 0041.jpgPicture 0051.jpgPicture 0181.jpg
Thank you!
jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:17 am 99.99% Pure Copper Foil, 0.001''x4''x79''(0.03MM x 0.1M x 2M), Thin Copper Sheet Sealed Package

Copper foil cut into strips and wrapped around the end of the pipe to shim it tight with a good dose of flux then hit it with the hard silver solder to wick it into the joint. Prep the SS surface too.
Thank you! This looks great!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

PeatyKeats wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:38 am That’s good to know. But, my problem is that it’s not snug enough.
Sorry I misunderstood the problem. While it is possible to shrink copper tube.

You generally have to make the swage tool to do the job.

annealed copper will move a lot
be water my friend
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Split a pice of your 1/2 pipe aneal it and hammer it flat... much as SS said but more area.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
PeatyKeats
Novice

Post by PeatyKeats »

Setsumi wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:53 am Split a pice of your 1/2 pipe aneal it and hammer it flat... much as SS said but more area.
Just to make sure I’m understanding correctly.
1) Cut a shim size piece of 1/2” copper pipe (perhaps 1/2” in length) vertically.
2) Anneal the copper red hit with a torch, let it cool (cool it in water).
3) Hammer it flat.
4) Wrap it around the 1/2” copper pipe to make a shim.
5) Solder the SS ferrule to the copper pipe (w/ the copper shim) using liquid flux & solder.

Am I off?
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

PeatyKeats wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:14 pm
Setsumi wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:53 am Split a pice of your 1/2 pipe aneal it and hammer it flat... much as SS said but more area.
1) Cut a shim size piece of 1/2” copper pipe (perhaps 1/2” in length) vertically.
3) Hammer it flat.
5) Solder the SS ferrule to the copper pipe (w/ the copper shim) using liquid flux & solder.

Am I off?
Thats it :thumbup:
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

If you find the shim too thick, you can use a bench grinder to reduce it to size.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

PeatyKeats wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:14 pm
3) Hammer it flat.

Am I off?
You're getting lots of good advise here.

My 2 cents similar to what i've said in many of these threads; the key aspect of this process is getting the solder to wet/stick to the stainless, and my recommendation is to not attempt that process in combination with any other surfaces. I.e. tin the surface of the stainless before considering the final union of materials.

As mentioned by others, sand the surface with a belt sander or similar with a clean belt. This removes most surface oxides and contaminants. Hold the piece horizontally and heat evenly. Keep applying the liquid flux and testing with the tip of your solder to see if it will flow. Keep the tip of your flame off the fluxed areas. If it goes black quickly sand off the effected area (while hot is easiest) and reflux before continuing. Work the solder until its wet the entire contact surface of the stainless. Once this is complete you're basically done, do you copper prep, shims or whatever you need to do for a good fit. Solder the joint as if it were copper to copper.

Wetting the stainless surface is the only challenge, why make it harder by working on the complete joint.

GL

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by PeatyKeats »

Thanks.