THE SPP USAGE POST

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Re: THE SPP USAGE POST

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

bitter wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:48 am Update, I finished cutting by hand our SPP for my 3" Boka. I now have 5.5 Liters of SPP. Second run is even better than the first and a tiny but smaller.

Can't want to do cleaning runs and start getting some results!

B
You did it! Congrats man, can’t wait to hear how it works for you.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:41 pm
bitter wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:48 am Update, I finished cutting by hand our SPP for my 3" Boka. I now have 5.5 Liters of SPP. Second run is even better than the first and a tiny but smaller.

Can't want to do cleaning runs and start getting some results!

B
You did it! Congrats man, can’t wait to hear how it works for you.
Yeah I can't wait. Its going to be at least as fast as current rates but cleaner due to extra plates so be good anyways. Was getting to point wanted to replace copper blocker as getting thinner over time so would have needed to spend money anyways

Cleaning first maybe while smoking some bacon

B
Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skál »

Nice ! Good to hear NZP. We should get comparative results.

Bitter, well done on the SPP. Dedication to hand cutting that amount of SPP is no mean feat!
Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skál »

Forgot to ask again Pete. You got any numbers on 20-23 L 4kg sugar roughly 10% strips/spirit runs? You have similar equipment ,120 of SPP? Do you take aezo straight off or always strip? If so why? Do you find a difference? Do you find a flavour persisting with one run? No right or wrong just wondering? I can throw in a 20-23 L wash and take the aezo happily. What's your thoughts?

Ill add 5L for safety so heat up at 3L is about hmmmm 1 1/2 hr I'm not sure its Baltic here. But with those numbers you have to be careful you have to be careful because with a short chrge entrainment is so much a problem. But , with SPP I can make in 14oC ambient 30 oC 30L charge aezo in about hmmmmm 2hrs?obviously the time drops dramatically! Heating up is the number. I'd love to hear your stripping times.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

bitter wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:25 am I read a lot that SPP stack so fast you don't need the 30 to 60 minutes with other packing.
Other packings dont need that either, its a load of BS in my opinion......you can start drawing fores off after 5-10 mins at most with most reflux stills............any more is just a waste of time.
Some people even put plated columns into full reflux for 30 mins before starting to milk off the fores...god knows why.......cause someone said you had to once maybe.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:35 am
bitter wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:25 am I read a lot that SPP stack so fast you don't need the 30 to 60 minutes with other packing.
Other packings dont need that either, its a load of BS in my opinion......you can start drawing fores off after 5-10 mins at most with most reflux stills............any more is just a waste of time.
Some people even put plated columns into full reflux for 30 mins before starting to milk off the fores...god knows why.......cause someone said you had to once maybe.
I tried the 5 to 10 minutes and found that forshot and heads on my Boka were compressed better if I let it go 25-30 minutes. I take forshot pretty slow though also so get things as compressed as possible.

I watch the temp and it has to do with when it falls.. and is stable. I am running a fair bit of reflux in my 3" so it seams to take a bit longer as not as much packing. My 2" was faster. but had more packing also.

B
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

Is there anything specific you use to determine when it's time to start fores extraction?

I don't make any cuts at all on my strips except to stop at 208* in average weather and 209* with a high barometer.
On my spirit runs I wait until my bottom column thermometer falls back to it's normal run temperature. Then start fores removal. My head temperature is generally a degree or two below azeo until the heads are past.

Since I've run this same exact ferment so many times and I'm not greedy, I can make the cuts by volume alone. Typically 1500mls of fores and heads, and 8-9 l of hearts (or stop immediately if the bottom thermometer goes up 2*) from 48G of wash. I do have to pay attention to the barometer.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

I’m with you, I dial back my power once things start to fog up in the plates before they start bubbling. I believe it helps separation early on. Wouldnt be surprised if this is an unnecessary step, I just do it out of habit at this point.

For me, I start extracting fores pretty much right away. Basically when my thermo starts reading something stable. Usually only takes like 5min. You’re also extracting so slow for fores, the column is still working on separating things during that time.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:33 am You’re also extracting so slow for fores, the column is still working on separating things during that time
Exactly.
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

bunny wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:39 am

Is there anything specific you use to determine when it's time to start fores extraction?

I don't make any cuts at all on my strips except to stop at 208* in average weather and 209* with a high barometer.
On my spirit runs I wait until my bottom column thermometer falls back to it's normal run temperature. Then start fores removal. My head temperature is generally a degree or two below azeo until the heads are past.

Since I've run this same exact ferment so many times and I'm not greedy, I can make the cuts by volume alone. Typically 1500mls of fores and heads, and 8-9 l of hearts (or stop immediately if the bottom thermometer goes up 2*) from 48G of wash. I do have to pay attention to the barometer.
You don’t need any metric to know when to draw fores other than when reflux begins; on a packed column that is. Fores are the first thing up the column, so you start drawing once reflux begins. If you draw them off slowly as you should (1-3 drips/second MAX) the remainder have time to work to the top of the column.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

MereCashmere wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:43 pm

You don’t need any metric to know when to draw fores other than when reflux begins; on a packed column that is. Fores are the first thing up the column, so you start drawing once reflux begins. If you draw them off slowly as you should (1-3 drips/second MAX) the remainder have time to work to the top of the column.
I get where you're coming from,I understand what you're saying, but do you have anything to back up this claim other than your intuition? I've considered this myself and wondered if this is the best way of taking off the most volatile vapors. I don't care about fores, those are easy (they reek of acetone) I'm most concerned with the heads cut. I rely on the packed column to separate the volatiles into fractions and take it off very slow at first after the column appears to have stabilized.
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Tue May 10, 2022 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

MereCashmere wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:43 pm

This is only true if you do a slow and steady warm up. If you’re blasting vapor up a tightly packed column full of SPP, you’ve smeared the whole thing and need time to let it all separate into fractions. Until that vapor hits your RC, you’re only getting a small amount of passive reflux, meaning tails will mingle their way to the top.

With that being said, the method you describe probably works fine and your logic isn’t bad, you just might lose a small amount of hearts that smear into your early jars. Would be a cool experiment to try it both ways.
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

Hey Salt;

No proof; other than my cuts jars. I know that’s not the answer you were hoping for :? but I also don’t see anything wrong with letting it “stack” IF those doing it like what they’re getting off the still. That’s really why I do what I do.

Hey Brian;

You’re right on the money. If you want to blast your column with full power, you’re gonna get mad smearing. I like a slow heat up for the reason you describe
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I hit mine with 5500 watts till starts going up column then dial it back to were it runs good. Then watch temp till stable and give 30 minutes then start taking forshots slow. This was with copper blocker not sure about spp yet. 200 liters of wash working away to get a bunch of testing after I do cleaning run
Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skál »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:07 pm
BrewinBrian44 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:33 am You’re also extracting so slow for fores, the column is still working on separating things during that time
Exactly.
First thanks for the input guys. ( i say we roughly) I find we tend, when making aezo, to worry so much about smearing its easy to stick to what works hence thus I initial post. For sure I did for a long time other than the guidance in about 2015/6 in Odin,DAD and Swedishes input? Sorry if I've missed names anyone. Who as a normal stiller wants to waste hours testing after a fermentation to smear everything? Not many and understandable although many have done so, so again, credit to them and the effectiveness of this site.

Admittedly Odin as far as this question was a godsend as he was do it the experiments as part of pushing his business forward and was generous enough to share his results. Hats off to others who do the same with YeloAnglYst etc.

The (what is aezo, own preference, taste)is a problem. I can see "my cuts speak for themselves" could be a down fall given this post was started to find some kind of 'standardisation ' for column /spp size optimisation. If anyone has some ideas or input to solve this I'm ALL ears because I've pondered it too much and have no idea.

I was the same with being scared to try new things, huge power input, increase take over etc. When I started, being a vodka drinker mostly I used all Odins rules. Even then I was scared to go for his numbers (just happy to get a drop to drink) but pretty sure they are attainable, again, hence thus post.

I see mentioned above about high power input and entrainment buuuut...from what I've found over the last month or two is high power input plus high coolant doesn't cause anymore entrainment, infact quite the opposite. From what I tasted (I leave out abv because with 120 CM of SPP sized equivalently to a column its aezo always) its perfect. The barrier for me is no shyting my pants at take off rate and ASSUMING its awful. Easy for your brain to take over your senses. I've kept some aezo from slow runs and compared it to newer distillates. Some the same, some (I think ) better.

One point I'd like to make. A point I'm pretty sure of now,almost 100% is : in my 2" column, 120cm SPP, Boka, regardless off power input and long as condenser is cooling it is.... The second my thermometer at bottom of column drops anything at all the top is stacked,REGARDLESS of charge.

Its not much but that's 8 runs on this experiment now testing power /reflux etc. That's including 20ltr washes although I didn't run them at such high powers. Certainly throwing 2800w the second the bottom column temp dropped it was good to go. NO question and personally I think it could be faster. I'm almost sure 5/10 mins reflux is more than adequate now.

Again, anecdotal until others do the same. I understand it's tempting not to bother because we all want our booze. Stick to the same because it works, I was the same. But, check Odin, he was doing this to open his business and has done great! Hell, one of his stills was installed in a small distillery near me and they won 3 or 4 awards over the last few years. He knows his onions and I guess his push to go "balls to the wall" for efficiency played no small part.

Anyhow I'm quite drunk now. Ill stop rambling but pretty sure the " column temp drop " point for "aezo at the top" stands true unless someone wants to give me a comparative test otherwise. Its only a small step, I'm sure we can take more steps to lessen where a temp drop indicates drinkable aezo. One step at a a time chaps eh? 80 ltr 10% wash with 2 days left behind me, 3k or 3.2k test next time.

Thanks all for input

Skál
Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skál »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:33 am
I’m with you, I dial back my power once things start to fog up in the plates before they start bubbling. I believe it helps separation early on. Wouldnt be surprised if this is an unnecessary step, I just do it out of habit at this point.

For me, I start extracting fores pretty much right away. Basically when my thermo starts reading something stable. Usually only takes like 5min. You’re also extracting so slow for fores, the column is still working on separating things during that time.

Are you dialling back whilst taking off product or do you mean dialling back after heating up then stabilising for equilibrium? Pls don't take offence and not doing the "granny sucks eggs" thing because I'm 99% sure it isn't but just for the threads informations sake.
Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skál »

One other question guys. Whether using LM/VM/CCVM etc on say a 2" roughly sized (height 120cm) column with SPP can we equate coolant? I'd imagine we are all using 6 mm / 1/4" condenser coils or similar and (in my head) the difference between input and output temps SHOULD be equateable. They would be knocking down e.g. (given roughly same length) the same volume of vapour for temp in/out difference? In my head that would make sense. Anyone with ACTUAL knowledge of expertise care to jump in with actual facts as often 'seems basic and obvious isn't actually obvious'. Similar to new people here asking about "what temperature should I set to distill ethanol?"

Again this thread might seem tenuous to many, any who want facts might sigh, any involved might do the same and I understand! Lol! In MY head the perfect way to run SPP won't come fast but the more that are willing to contribute with tests, I'm sure it WILL take tests and mistakes, the faster us obsessives will get there. Thanks again.

Skál
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Skál wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:58 pm
BrewinBrian44 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:33 am

Are you dialling back whilst taking off product or do you mean dialling back after heating up then stabilising for equilibrium? Pls don't take offence and not doing the "granny sucks eggs" thing because I'm 99% sure it isn't but just for the threads informations sake.
Dialing back power during the last part of heat-up. The reason is to try and make sure what’s coming up the column isn’t a mixture of fores/tails before it hits the reflux condenser. Doesn’t require as long of a wait for reflux at the beginning of the run. That’s the theory.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Skál wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:14 pm One other question guys. Whether using LM/VM/CCVM etc on say a 2" roughly sized (height 120cm) column with SPP can we equate coolant? I'd imagine we are all using 6 mm / 1/4" condenser coils or similar and (in my head) the difference between input and output temps SHOULD be equateable. They would be knocking down e.g. (given roughly same length) the same volume of vapour for temp in/out difference? In my head that would make sense. Anyone with ACTUAL knowledge of expertise care to jump in with actual facts as often 'seems basic and obvious isn't actually obvious'. Similar to new people here asking about "what temperature should I set to distill ethanol?"
The coolant requirements will relate to the power going into the boiler. Ignoring passive reflux (which should be minimal on a column) the cooling requirement (which will depend on flow rate, tube length, and coolant temperature) will be directly related to the heat source power. Column length and packing type will have no impact here (once stabilised).
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skál »

NormandieStill wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:38 pm
Skál wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:14 pm One other question guys. Whether using LM/VM/CCVM etc on say a 2" roughly sized (height 120cm) column with SPP can we equate coolant? I'd imagine we are all using 6 mm / 1/4" condenser coils or similar and (in my head) the difference between input and output temps SHOULD be equateable. They would be knocking down e.g. (given roughly same length) the same volume of vapour for temp in/out difference? In my head that would make sense. Anyone with ACTUAL knowledge of expertise care to jump in with actual facts as often 'seems basic and obvious isn't actually obvious'. Similar to new people here asking about "what temperature should I set to distill ethanol?"
The coolant requirements will relate to the power going into the boiler. Ignoring passive reflux (which should be minimal on a column) the cooling requirement (which will depend on flow rate, tube length, and coolant temperature) will be directly related to the heat source power. Column length and packing type will have no impact here (once stabilised).
Agree with that. I suppose what I was asking if we can somehow 'standardise' results so they are comparable. I think we can roughly as most using SPP for aezo are what you might call ' bog standard/my first column build ' dimensions for condensers etc.

Just to add ,stripped half my 10/11% oat/sugar wash tonight. Full boiler charge about 45l, 3kW input. 3litre per hour at aezo and clean tasting with no problems. Feels a bit balls to the wall as with 4.5l max alcohol the run is almost over before I felt 'dialled in' but tasted fine. Certainly I'm sticking to my point about the " the minute the bottom of the column drops temp start collecting". I started about 10 mins before that even and all good. I have the other half (another 45l ) to strip tomorrow so... Ill either strip and try to collect earlier(perhaps immediately after reflux?) OR add the stripped run to to the new wash and step up to maybe 3250-3300W and see if I can get production up towards 3.5l per hour. Feel free to give a suggestion for one or the other guys if it helps any of your queries. Ill check in here before I start.

And again,thanks for the input. Determined to get the 2"er doing 4Lph! :)

Skál
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Skál wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:22 pm Determined to get the 2"er doing 4Lph! :)
You have a snow flakes chance in hell IMO.......if it was possible and still have something worth drinking , it would have been done long ago.
2 inch reflux columns have limits......its why people build 3's and 4's
Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skál »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:33 pm
You have a snow flakes chance in hell IMO.......if it was possible and still have something worth drinking , it would have been done long ago.
Aye you could well be right (and probably are ) Bill. But, that was kind of my idea starting this post. Finding the most efficient way to use SPP and finding its upper limits. I think I remember Odin mentioning 4lph with his stills but those were dialled in with automation set for known washes etc etc. Ill have a go anyhow and even with a fail the information will be useful. I honestly think I could get close though IF I can somehow get a full boiler charge of 40% before I drink it.

Skál
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I packed my column with SPP for the first time. Some copper blocker top and bottom to hold it in place. There is even some extra for when I loose some. About 51" of SPP in the column
20220520_201433.jpg
20220520_201959.jpg
20220520_201445.jpg
Cleaning Sac run in the morning will be to play and then have 200L of FFV to strip and do spirt runs on.

B
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

Someone didn’t read the original SPP thread :P

Just ribbin ya salt! Odin stated that he did in fact reach that production rate consistently. And he reached even more ludicrous numbers with a 3”. (10.5l/hr?)
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

MereCashmere wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:31 am
Someone didn’t read the original SPP thread :P

Just ribbin ya salt! Odin stated that he did in fact reach that production rate consistently. And he reached even more ludicrous numbers with a 3”. (10.5l/hr?)
I would listen carefully to what Bill says, he’s been doing this long enough to understand all the ins and outs of this craft. True wisdom. We’re lucky enough to still have him around contributing his knowledge to our threads. I agree that SPP can go beyond the limitations of other packing from everything I’ve read on here, but you’ll also need to consider this:

Odin and Dad300 have an expert level understanding of how to make a premium product. For one to expect to see their numbers and get something just as good out the pipe is wishful thinking for the novice distiller. There are so many variables at play, you really need to find what works for your rig with YOUR SPP. They had SPP that was sized perfectly for their rigs. Unless you make it yourself and size it properly for your column, you should not expect the same numbers and results. Even the shape of the SPP can have a big impact. Bitter knew this and chose to take on the challenge, which is why I’m so eager to see his results.

After many runs under my belt, I’ve found the most important step to success is dialing in your ability to perform a high quality ferment. Quality in equals quality out. Novice distillers should focus on this first before jumping into the theory of pushing their rig to the limit.

I appreciate the enthusiasm though and can relate to it.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I personally think 10.5 LPH is a pipe dream on a 3".

That bean said I went back and read Odins posts again and he made reference to making pure whisky.. So I think based on what he said 30% charge so that would run faster there.

Today I did the initial sac run on my SPP in a 3" and I was 172.8F @ 5500W and rock sold till the end when I have to cut takeoff a bit at 3.2 LPH. At the very begging the run I was running 172.9-172.4F and 2.8 LPH (was at maybe 5000W ??? guestimate and the forshot/worst parts I'm sure by smell Acetone ethyl acetate methanol etc) till I speed things up.. was trying to get an idea what speed and still not have temp go up.. and try at full power to see if would stabilize there and it does. So with higher percent can definitely run much faster!

I had 4L of Garbage/weedkiller first one was 95% and the second one was like 65%. I stopped my run when temp rose all a sudden to 175F so was more there and I collected about 3L not sure of percent as proof meter too tall for my glass cylinder oops.. So not sure the percent. I started at noon filled boiler and slowly heated and done already at 2pm. So this was about 9 percent in the boiler. That's pretty darn amazing to me. I only got speeds above 3 LPH in past with 40% charge.

Almost don't need to strip... just run it. but cuts easier when bigger and be less waist I bet. I was really surprised how nice this smelt.. even at the end till I got a faint whiff of tails as the temp started to jump and I shut things down. I did not taste anything as was a sac run.. but smelt great in the heart like nothing once past the heads.. Was a huge amount of forshot as the one jar was mostly that forshots and head mix.

I can't wait to test more.. once boiler is cool will empty it and start stripping my FFV.

I think my plan will be strip 2 boilers full and then can run 1 Strip with rest wash so higher percent in boiler and make cuts on each batch there. That will be 2 strips and 2 Spirit runs form 200L instead of 4 strips and then a spirt run for a very long day.

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Just running a real run now.

About 50L or TSFFV just over 10% so 5+ liters potential. Just stripping it to add to another run so can do more apples to apples as all numbers with copper blocker were all with 40% charge

But I'm running 172.4F constant and 3.2 LPH (was 172F for first like 100ml then stabilized at 172.4) just set it and forget till most the way though then will up port or decrease flow to compensate

This is amazing don't think will need to strip any more. Just run each run. Will save feints and rerun diluted to get some out of tails and heads.

This is a game changes for a 3" boka. about 52" of pacing including the copper used to hold the SPP in place. Why did I not do this over 10 years ago?

B
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

bitter wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:46 pm Just running a real run now.

About 50L or TSFFV just over 10% so 5+ liters potential. Just stripping it to add to another run so can do more apples to apples as all numbers with copper blocker were all with 40% charge

But I'm running 172.4F constant and 3.2 LPH (was 172F for first like 100ml then stabilized at 172.4) just set it and forget till most the way though then will up port or decrease flow to compensate

This is amazing don't think will need to strip any more. Just run each run. Will save feints and rerun diluted to get some out of tails and heads.

This is a game changes for a 3" boka. about 52" of pacing including the copper used to hold the SPP in place. Why did I not do this over 10 years ago?

B
Curious, how much power are you running?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:38 am After many runs under my belt, I’ve found the most important step to success is dialing in your ability to perform a high quality ferment. Quality in equals quality out. Novice distillers should focus on this first before jumping into the theory of pushing their rig to the limit.
Best advise I've read in a long time.. congratulation on developing understand of the hobby.. and it takes many many yrs of experimentation, to reach that level of comprehension..

Enjoy the journey that the hobby provides..
bitter wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:46 pm This is a game changes for a 3" boka. about 52" of pacing including the copper used to hold the SPP in place. Why did I not do this over 10 years ago?
It will be! but it may take a few runs in order to understand fully what you need to do to dial the unit in.. as to the why, you were not ready to move forward in the hobby, nothing less or more, as we all move forward as the understanding develops..

Best in your journey of learning..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

bitter wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:46 pm Just running a real run now.

B
Great to hear Bitter! All that hard work creating your own SPP will definitely pay off.

I remember reading Dad300 no longer stripped his stuff and put wash straight into his column and got great neutral out of it.