SPP in extended T500 column

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fusto
Novice

SPP in extended T500 column

Post by Fusto »

**ADMIN PLEASE MOVE IF I HAVE POSTED IN THE WRONG AREA / BRAND NAME NOT ALLOWED**

Hi all,
I am hoping that there is a chance I could please pick your brains?
Hopefully this has not already been covered in another post, but if it was I could not find it.

I have SPP supplied locally by KegLand (3.4mm or 0.13"). I purchased a few bags of them (500g or 17.6 oz), as well as the extension tube for my T500 reflux column (24cm or 9.5" long) from them (Previously I added tri-clamp adapters and a 2" sight glass).
I have been testing the difference with the Still Spirits steel packing (Comes with the column) compared to SPP. The default packing was fine, but when I changed to the SPP the column flooded and reflux stopped.
The temp would fly all over the place, reflux would stop and nothing would come out. Then the temp would skyrocket (Over 80°C) and the distillate would 'spew' out with force (hot and around 70% ABV whereas normally I get over 93% ABV).
This would repeat over and over.
Any assistance that anyone can offer with this would be greatly appreciated.

Just FYI:
I used the Grainfather boiler, so I tried it both a 65% and 100% power, same result.
I also tried both shaking the column to add more SPP and not shaking at all with a loose pack.
At the boiler end of the column I have wire mesh with silicon gasket holding the SPP in place (Mesh is loose enough that it holds the SPP in but that is all).
I am in Australia so the boiler is the 220V version.

Many thanks all!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: SPP in extended T500 column

Post by Saltbush Bill »

My guess is its packed to tight, least thats what Ive read by others who have had T500s with similar issues.'
Id also suggest that buying a proper controller to control power input to the boiler might help.
Still Dragon sell very reliable versions in kit form
https://stilldragon.com.au/products/diy-controller-kit
Plenty of folk here can talk you through assembly if you get stuck.
Fusto
Novice

Post by Fusto »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:48 am My guess is its packed to tight, least thats what Ive read by others who have had T500s with similar issues.'
Id also suggest that buying a proper controller to control power input to the boiler might help.
Still Dragon sell very reliable versions in kit form
https://stilldragon.com.au/products/diy-controller-kit
Plenty of folk here can talk you through assembly if you get stuck.
Many thanks for the reply Saltbush!
I have tried my Still Spirits boiler with a very similar power controller, but the same result.
I packed it as loose as I possibly could (i.e. The column was being held vertically by a soft vice and I poured it in and capped it with the mesh).
I even tried under filling it with hopes that it would help, but no luck.
So far I have used 6 runs of FFV (8.77% ABV) trying to get the right balance...
I am guessing you are correct that I am packing it incorrectly, but I just cannot work out how to get the right packing balance.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

If you're capping it with the mesh, that might be the issue if the mesh is packed too tight? It should not be possible for SPP to form a vapour tight seal if just shaken in.
Fusto
Novice

Post by Fusto »

CopperFiend wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:11 am If you're capping it with the mesh, that might be the issue if the mesh is packed too tight? It should not be possible for SPP to form a vapour tight seal if just shaken in.
Hey CopperFiend,

I hope this image works...below is the mesh that i am using.
The silicon ring sits between the sight glass and the column via tri-clamps.
image.png
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

That's probably the suspect. Various people have reported flooding problems when using one of those filter gaskets to hold the spp. If you search the forum you should find the various suggestions for dealing with it. I run stainless mesh so I've not had this problem.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Fusto
Novice

Post by Fusto »

NormandieStill wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:42 am That's probably the suspect. Various people have reported flooding problems when using one of those filter gaskets to hold the spp. If you search the forum you should find the various suggestions for dealing with it. I run stainless mesh so I've not had this problem.
Many thanks NormandieStill!!
I will give that a try with this weeks run.
I didn't even think that the mesh could be causing the problem, I figured it was how I was packing.
Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Its a long time since I ran a T500, use what ever held the original saddles / packing in.......then a thin layer of original packing, then fill with SP.
Your going to need some copper in the column if its an all stainless T500.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Fusto , you may want to view the forums rules regarding the use of Silicone .

I know they sell a lot of Silicone gaskets , but we don’t approve of it here . Only use Teflon or at minimum , wrap things in Teflon tape . .

Regarding your sieve , I agree its not going to let any reflux fall through it , hence your flooding . It will be acting as a perforated plate without a downcomer .

Only use I can see for such a thing is in a gin basket to hold botanicals .
Fusto
Novice

Post by Fusto »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:31 pm Its a long time since I ran a T500, use what ever held the original saddles / packing in.......then a thin layer of original packing, then fill with SP.
Your going to need some copper in the column if its an all stainless T500.
:thumbup:
Many thanks! I have the copper column, so all good for that.
I also have some copper at the top of the vapor path.

Cheers
Fusto
Novice

Post by Fusto »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:50 pm Fusto , you may want to view the forums rules regarding the use of Silicone .

I know they sell a lot of Silicone gaskets , but we don’t approve of it here . Only use Teflon or at minimum , wrap things in Teflon tape . .

Regarding your sieve , I agree its not going to let any reflux fall through it , hence your flooding . It will be acting as a perforated plate without a downcomer .

Only use I can see for such a thing is in a gin basket to hold botanicals .
Normally I wrap my gaskets in teflon tape, this is a force of habit from gaskets on jars when I age with wood.
I am currently fermenting 120 L (28 Gal) FFV to run through next, so I will either cut the mesh holes bigger or lay down thin layer of scrubbie mesh on top of a X frame similar to below.

Many thanks for the reply and suggestion
image.png
image.png (86.54 KiB) Viewed 704 times