Hello

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mookie1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello

Post by Mookie1 »

I’m just starting on a new endeavor. Hope to learn as much as I can.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello

Post by Deplorable »

Wecome to teh site. What is it you wish to make? What kind of still do you THINK you need?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome. It's just as easy to make good likker as it is bad likker. Patience and reading will determine which one you end up making. Lots of reading Good luck.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Mookie1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mookie1 »

Deplorable

Whiskey and Bourbon. Did some research and talk to many still makers. When with North Georgia
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Mookie1 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:40 am Deplorable

Whiskey and Bourbon. Did some research and talk to many still makers. When with North Georgia
I am quite happy with my North Georgia still. Boiler nice and sturdy, supports columns nicely.

Welcome to the site….
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Mookie1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mookie1 »

Thanks everyone. Been reading a lot. A wealth of information here!
Mookie1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mookie1 »

Finally have a shipping date for my still! I’m on reading as much as I can. What to do first? basic corn mash and test still?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

First thing Id do is a simple sugar wash for your sacrificial run. ;-)
make up a 5 gallon bucket of something like Shady's Sugar Shine.
Get you a gallon of vinegar while your at the store getting sugar and yeast.
When you get the still all set up, clean it with soap and water and assemble it. fill it with a couple of gallons of water and the gallon of vinegar and get it running, with no cooling water going to your PC let the hot acidic steam get into all the nooks and crannies. Check for vapor leaks. Then turn on your cooling water and see how fast you can take off "product" without overpowering your PC.
Drain it, let it cool, rinse it out, and repeat the process with the sugar shine.
Your still will be clean, free of any residual oils and chemicals from the production process, and ready for a proper whiskey run. And, you'll have an idea how to run it. Throw out the alcohol you just distilled. It's good for nothing but weed killer and cleaning shit in the garage.

Once you've done that, depending on your fermenting experience and available equipment, you can jump right in to all grain, or get started on some UJSSM. Getting a few generations of UJ or sweet feed under your belt before jumping into AG will help you figure out cuts and blending, as well as get a handle on your entire process.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Mookie1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mookie1 »

Thanks Deplorable. Working on a area to have everything setup and ready to run.