Hello From Kentucky

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

WattieBsCrick
Novice

Hello From Kentucky

Post by WattieBsCrick »

Hello all youins, FNG here. I live in central KY and play with all the old arts I can afford to get into. Went to school to be a gunsmith and the skills I gained there unfortunately transfer into almost every other trade out there - so I get to do those things too.
Found out not long ago that Wattie Boone was my 6th great granddaddy, so that got me looking at the shiner binness. I’m a lover of Woodford Reserve and fine oakey bourbons, but just the idea that it could be made by anyone and the byproducts available during the process make it a keen interest for me *coughs* “concerned citizen” *coughs*
Anyhoo…I’ll be reading up as much as possible but if someone has a shortcut to a Woodford/Jefferson flavor profile/wash recipe, I’m all ears. Hard to taste words and I hate every Scotch whisky I’ve tried, so try and steer me clear of that.
My dad was/is a cabinetmaker and with the Blacksmithing skills I’ve picked up I’d like to try my hand at cooperage for some small batch kegs and barrels.
Also, I grow a garden and have some Hickory King and Bloody Butcher growing out for…art reasons. Let’s hope the coons don’t get it first.
Cheers to everyone and looking forward to learning something new!
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Hello From Kentucky

Post by dieselduo »

Welcome ! The Woodford reserve grain bill is 72% corn 18% rye and 10% malted barley. The wood you age on and it's char will be a major part in getting the flavors you are looking for assuming you know how to run your still correctly . lots of info here. Do the work and I'm sure you'll make a decent drop
WattieBsCrick
Novice

Post by WattieBsCrick »

dieselduo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:54 am Welcome ! The Woodford reserve grain bill is 72% corn 18% rye and 10% malted barley. The wood you age on and it's char will be a major part in getting the flavors you are looking for assuming you know how to run your still correctly . lots of info here. Do the work and I'm sure you'll make a decent drop
You ARE the man! I appreciate the bill, everything else is just science, figgerin’, learnin’ and practice!
The difference between a scientist and redneck? A scientist has a theory, data and his hypothesis on paper. But a redneck now, they just tell you to hold their beer and ask Bubba about it later. Two methods to the same madness!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome, WattieBsCrick!

Great intro and quite the skillset you bring. Help yourself to the many 'show me' threads and pics of what other members are running before you build or buy a pot still. The stills on offer at distilling shops are more about profit than performance. And don't be surprised if you end up making something slightly different than Woodford (their proprietary yeast is the most difficult to replicate) and find you like it better.

Always practice safety and patience.

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

welcome!
WattieBsCrick
Novice

Post by WattieBsCrick »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:16 am Welcome, WattieBsCrick!

Great intro and quite the skillset you bring. Help yourself to the many 'show me' threads and pics of what other members are running before you build or buy a pot still. The stills on offer at distilling shops are more about profit than performance. And don't be surprised if you end up making something slightly different than Woodford (their proprietary yeast is the most difficult to replicate) and find you like it better.

Always practice safety and patience.

Twisted
I don’t mind a bit different, I expect that. What I mind is the dude I bought a fifth of “bourbon” from and it tasted like a Welsh donkey’s arse. Blended with raw Scotch. Was nowhere near any self-respecting bourbon I’ve ever tried anywhere, Jim Beam would have been top shelf in comparison. And then I said, by gaw, iffen you can do it then I kin too - and I’ve been looking around ever since. That’s why I started my corn stand this year, it’s not much but should make seed for next year and let me make a run when I’m ready.

Safety first and always! You gotta live to tell about it!
The difference between a scientist and redneck? A scientist has a theory, data and his hypothesis on paper. But a redneck now, they just tell you to hold their beer and ask Bubba about it later. Two methods to the same madness!
WattieBsCrick
Novice

Post by WattieBsCrick »

Also discovered that John Ritchie is my 5th great grandfather on another limb of the Family tree… I guess business wasn’t the only thing they kept in the family?
Woodworld
Novice

Post by Woodworld »

I also live in the great heart of ky...if you want I have a source at the cooperage here in town...I can get you some hoops and staves to play with and get the full for making barrels..any thing to help a fellow lover of shine
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Greetings from the Eastern side of the Bluegrass
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

Welcome, from just a little east of you. Looks like we've got a pretty good KY contingent here.
Plain ole pot rig.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome Wattie! I’m just south of all y’all KY’ers - hellcats or whatever it is? I heard y’all have grapes up that way too?

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:54 pm y’all KY’ers - hellcats or whatever it is?
You know what it is Jonny :P You're one of them Vols if I remember right?
Plain ole pot rig.