Saying Hey

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

moldmaker70
Novice

Saying Hey

Post by moldmaker70 »

This is my first and required post. I'm doing a lot of reading and thinking about making my own distilled water instead of the stuff in plastic jugs found in stores. Also maybe some essential oils. Anyway, I'm glad to be on here and learning from others. Yes, I too have considered purchasing that stainless brand that's affordable and a complete setup ready to run (supposedly). But I'm still reading and gathering info in hopes of making the best decision for me. I haven't watched any videos of receipes or setups because I don't know which ones to trust at this point so I'm open to suggestions. I'm still reading on here so I'm sure that I will find some eventually. The science and craft of making something that's beneficial from raw ingredients and being able to carefully experiment is what draws me to consider this as well.
Thanks for all of the time that you all put on here to help others.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Saying Hey

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome. No need to get in a hurry. Best to make one well informed decision on a purchase, than many wrong ones. Enjoy the read
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Welcome. As for video's I have found the Still It youtube channel to have accurate and entertaining information.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Moldmaker.
moldmaker70 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:12 am I too have considered purchasing that stainless brand that's affordable and a complete setup ready to run (supposedly).
There are cheap nasty shit stills plastered all over the net for sale these days......do your self a favour and research a lot before buying.
Become familiar with what the different types of stills do and why they are used to make the types of spirits that they do.
Spending a little extra and buying the right still for the job will save you money and regrets in the long run.
moldmaker70
Novice

Post by moldmaker70 »

Yes that's what I'm planning on doing. I would like something small to start that I can heat electrically so I won't blow myself up until I learn more and get some experience. I'm open to suggestions.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

moldmaker70 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:11 pm Yes that's what I'm planning on doing. I would like something small to start that I can heat electrically so I won't blow myself up until I learn more and get some experience. I'm open to suggestions.
If you plan on doing some gin than a small still is fine as you will use it later even after you are frustrated with it for other spirits. Something in the 13 to 16 gal range will allow you to make enough product to actually get a bit ahead and can be heating using 110v although 220 is highly recommended. (many people use the dryer outlet)

If you have the skill, and it doesn't take all that much, then building your own from a keg seems to be the common method. There are numerous thread here with detail on how to do that and drop me as message if need be as I recently build mine. I am talking from experience on small soon being frustrating.
moldmaker70
Novice

Post by moldmaker70 »

Thanks for offering your help and I will most likely take you up on that at some point. Gotta get through the holidays while doing my research, reading and all.