Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

decomissioned
Novice

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Post by decomissioned »

Hello all,

I've finally decided to take the plunge and put my money where my reading is, so to speak. I've been reading about making my own distillate for a while now and kept going back and forth from purchasing a working 'good enough' unit and building one that I know from reading would be a 'great unit'. I just kept putting off the building so I figured 'good enough' was better than 'not at all' so my milehi dual purpose pot/reflux unit is on its way. I know from these forums it isn't the end all be all, but it is certainly cost effective, has a good reputation of not being junk, and better than no still at all.

I have a few questions which I have searched for but not found an answer to. Thankfully they are mostly unrelated to the direct process, since you guys have done a fantastic job explaining pretty much all aspects of that. I fully expect to have questions but so far a quick search has turned up those answers.

Question 1) Trust the local shop keeper?
I still need to pick up a few more items.. courboy, water lock, nutrients, that sort of thing. I am lucky enough to live close to a great little wine/home brew shop. I've been in there several times to get supplies for my home soda pop 'brewing' (root beer and ginger ale) and the guy is friendly and always willing to take time to help out. My first question to the forum would be: how open are you guys with these types of guys? They really do seem to want to help and I know I'm not the only one in my area with this new hobby.. but, I'm a big fan of the 'don't tell, don't sell' rule and not at all the type that needs to brag about his.. indiscretions. So do I just go in and tell him what I think I need and keep it pleasant but curt, or do you guys think he see's enough of us to not mind?

Question 2) Capture your run
What kind of receptacles do you guys use to catch your run? I'm a technical person by nature (computer consultant, of sorts) so I want to have my first few runs be very precise. I've thought about buying some chemical lab ware (new of course) in various milliliter sizes so that I can very accurately capture precise amounts of distillate. Do you guys go this far or do approximations in a mason jar or something similar? SciPlus.com has decent prices on labware.

Question 3) Aging/holding your finished product
This is kind of related to the question above, but what do you guys use to store your product when it is all finished up? Do you just re-use 'production' alcohol bottles and remove the labels, or do you have a good online resource you can pass along? I've found SpecialtyBottle.com has good prices on all sorts of glass (as well as plastic for other needs) vials, jars and bottles.

Once I get all set up I think I'll be giving rad's all bran recipe a go first in reflux mode. It seems to be the easiest of both worlds. Plus since I will be doing mostly a cleaning run with it, it shouldn't matter if I screw it up too much! :D
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Post by Kentucky shinner »

erasei wrote:
I still need to pick up a few more items.. courboy, water lock, nutrients, that sort of thing. I am lucky enough to live close to a great little wine/home brew shop. I've been in there several times to get supplies for my home soda pop 'brewing' (root beer and ginger ale) and the guy is friendly and always willing to take time to help out. My first question to the forum would be: how open are you guys with these types of guys? They really do seem to want to help and I know I'm not the only one in my area with this new hobby.. but, I'm a big fan of the 'don't tell, don't sell' rule and not at all the type that needs to brag about his.. indiscretions. So do I just go in and tell him what I think I need and keep it pleasant but curt, or do you guys think he see's enough of us to not mind?

you can order all of those things from Milehigh or Brewhaus, they have all of that. I personally do go to a brew / wine shop occasionally and pick up some things. If you know what your looking for I would just go and get what I need. Be carefull because many places like this will try to sell you the store if you will bite, so I would suggest you have a pretty good Idea of what your going after. If they ask what your doing tell them your getting into beer making. Your just taking it one step further and separating the alcohol from the water.

Question 2) Capture your run
What kind of receptacles do you guys use to catch your run? I'm a technical person by nature (computer consultant, of sorts) so I want to have my first few runs be very precise. I've thought about buying some chemical lab ware (new of course) in various milliliter sizes so that I can very accurately capture precise amounts of distillate. Do you guys go this far or do approximations in a mason jar or something similar? SciPlus.com has decent prices on labware.

I guess if you want to really get precise you could use lab equipment there is nothing wrong with that. I personally buy canning jars that are graduated on the side in ounces and milliliters. That is just how I do it.

Question 3) Aging/holding your finished product
This is kind of related to the question above, but what do you guys use to store your product when it is all finished up? Do you just re-use 'production' alcohol bottles and remove the labels, or do you have a good online resource you can pass along? I've found SpecialtyBottle.com has good prices on all sorts of glass (as well as plastic for other needs) vials, jars and bottles.

As far as storing I have bought some bottles form the brew shop i go to sometimes. from what I have seen if you order your bottles the shipping is what kills you not the bottles. You can also use spent production bottles provided they are all glass and use a cork instead of he plastic lid most of them have. I also use the canning jars for this turn the flat lid upside down so the rubber seal is not in contact with any of the vapor from your product though if you do this.

Once I get all set up I think I'll be giving rad's all bran recipe a go first in reflux mode. It seems to be the easiest of both worlds. Plus since I will be doing mostly a cleaning run with it, it shouldn't matter if I screw it up too much! :D
Welcome to the forum erasi, looks like you've been doing your homework. I think you will really find this place useful as you get into your new hobby. \\
Kentucky Shinner
decomissioned
Novice

Post by decomissioned »

Thanks for the reply Kentucky Shiner. I went by the store just now and picked up a fermenter, airlock and some DAP. All for less than $30 with taxes. I figure shipping on the big fermenter would be pretty high so might as well get it locally.. and the airlocks were only $1.50 so I bought two just to be safe. I just asked for those things specifically and it was just fine.

One follow up question:
You can also use spent production bottles provided they are all glass and use a cork instead of he plastic lid most of them have.
Why is the plastic cap from a production bottle not acceptable for the final product? The yeast is long gone by this time so I can't imagine pressure being an issue, and any production plastic lid would have to be alcohol safe.. what am I missing?
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

You dont want plastic coming in contact with any of your High %ABV. It can leach off flavors in to your likker and it is also not the safe way to do it. I dont use any plastic around any of my likker. Glass and cork it my preference. ..
If you havent already done so check this out.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 3#p6815887
KS
decomissioned
Novice

Post by decomissioned »

Aah, right right. I was thinking finished products as in the 40% ABV range with various flavors, not the high power neutrals, but yeah, I hear you. I will stick with my original plan of buying glass bottles with corks from my local brew shop. They only run about $2 each with the stopper. Thanks again for the replies!
davidwh
Swill Maker

Post by davidwh »

erasei,

Have a look at glass food storage jars...just dont use the rubber seal. the wire clip type...cost about the same 2 -5lt in volumes stack well and they breath a little.

dave
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Welcome to HD erasei...
Great advice there from some of HD's shinners...

Have fun and stay safe man... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

i dont have a brew shop local, but when i went back to my home town last week, i went into the brew shop there. i knew what i wanted, but couldent find it in the store. when i asked where it was they said are you making beer or wine. i simply said "other" then they handed me my piece and said, this is for the higher proof. but ,,, they also have a still for sale in there too,, over priced i must say.
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
loneswinger
Swill Maker

Post by loneswinger »

The one place that I do not get questioned is the beer/wine shop. You are just buying supplies. With an exception when I special ordered two 55 Lb bags of peated malt imported from the UK. I had a buddy order it and pick it up, he couldn't think of an excuse so just said "we are making scotch", to which the store clerk said, "I love scotch can you bring some in when it is ready?" So now I have to feed her as well.

The places that I do get questioned:

1. Grocery store when buying more than one 25 lb bag of sugar. People get curious why you are buying that much sugar. Prepare an excuse ahead of time.

2. Plumbing supply places. I can not get 1.5 inch or 2 inch copper anything at local hardware stores so I have to resort to a plumber who does not normally retail. After several trips buying various connectors they begin to ask questions. Prepare an excuse ahead of time.

3. Feed supply stores. I guess I don't look like a farmer, so buying buckets of blackstrap or bags of feedcorn doesn't fit. So they ask. In this case I just say I am making Rum or corn whiskey or whatever. They usually request some so I oblige. Then they say, "you know you can buy the molasses by the barrel :ewink: "

I just always pay in cash to keep my anonymity. People around here (I might be in the pac NW as well) don't seem to view this activity as wrong in any way. I have never had any negative feedback from people who discover my hobby. Most people just want some which hurts the stockpile a little, but it is fun to share. Then they want to learn how to do it, so I point them to this website.

-Loneswinger
It's better to learn from other people's mistakes than your own.