hi from the newest newB (now with details)

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

xjrockstomper
Novice

hi from the newest newB (now with details)

Post by xjrockstomper »

Just wanted to say hey to all the folks here and am sure glad i found this place so i can ask some freakin questions about what i am doing lol.

i was inspired by a recent showing of modern marvels that went into the making of likker and distilling, i think they were distilling parts 1 and 2, and whiskey. Any way I have been unemployed for a few months and desperatly needed something to do in my free time, so i thought this would make a great hobby to pass the time until work picks back up this December. Any way got to reading and decided to make a sweet feed mash before i had a still to work with lol. But i have got my pot still all built and leak tested, plan on running a vinegar cleaning run, and i have some cheap whiskey that i plan to use with some water for my first likker run.

My ultimate goal is to make quality whiskey and burbon ( i love soco) for cold snowy days out on the ranch pushing cattle and such.

Here are a few pics of my still any comments or question would be great.....

consists of an old porcelain canning stock pot i think its 21L. the pot is sealed using a cork gasket glued using silicone and ss nuts and bolts to hold the lid down. a riser made from 3/4" male and female fittings (one on each side of the lid screwed together) sealed with cork gaskets and chemical resistant rubber washers, reducing to a 1/2" > 3/8" using a compression fitting, then to 20' of 3/8" soft copper tubing into a 5 gallon water thermos (found it had a leak in the bottom to i sealed it with blue rtv and is dedicated to my still now) plan to run it with water, ice, and salt.