The best-made plans

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Max Frever
Novice

The best-made plans

Post by Max Frever »

Hi folks from Australia,

I got a Turbo Still for xmas and I'd just made my 1st batch of wash. I had the sugar and the yeast bubbling away beautifully, then when all activity had stopped, waited a day then mixed in the stuff that clears the wash.

Suddenly (sounds like a suspense novel, eh?) we got a phone call to say our nephew's 1st baby had arrived early so we were in the car driving in about 2 hours and then away for 4 days - got back this morning.

Is it still safe to distill the wash d'ya think? There's a slight sour smell coming from the wash, but not an unpleasant smell and it smells like it did before I left. Because it's my first batch, I have nothing to compare it tooo though.
Bushman
Admin

Re: The best-made plans

Post by Bushman »

I would say you are safe for at least a week after the wash has finished. Most folks here don't use a clearing agent, just let it settle in a colder area. You should check out the recipes in the Tried and True for your next batch :D
Max Frever
Novice

Post by Max Frever »

Thanks Bushman, I'll let everyone know how it goes!
azeo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by azeo »

welcome, good luck with that first wash, may it be the first of many, and the start of great things! :)
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

i often leave wash sitting for weeks before i still it... no drama's ever noticed.

i just keep them "airtight" but the c02 is supposed to just sit in there stopping O2 getting in.

they settle out very clear if left alone for a while :)

highly likely the clearing agent was gelatin or something food based and fairly harmless.

i say have a taste of the wash and then you can compare the next one, i always taste my Hydro samples
Max Frever
Novice

Post by Max Frever »

I can feel the love! Many thanks for your reassurances. I'm happy to report (more than a BIT happy if you catch my drift) that it's been a tremendous success. Everything's gone as expected and your replies encouraged me to actually drink the stuff, in moderation of course. I've been sorta locked in to the proprietary doo-dads supplied with the kit in this round but I look forward to sharing knowledge with you all as time goes by (hmm .. great name for a song).
aqua vitae
Swill Maker

Post by aqua vitae »

If its a simple sugar wash you can store it for months if it's stored in an airtight vessel.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

your fine, I have wash in a closed container that is a month old.. No time to run it right now... It will be fine.. Let us know how it goes for ya.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Welcome to HD Max Frever... :D

All great advice from the guy's as usual...

So pull up a chair and hold on tight... Your in for the ride of your life on HD...

Good to have ya... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

I'm a newbie building a keg still and was wondering if I made a 30 gallon wash, would I be able to run it in 3 seperate runs in 10 gallon batches and if the wash would still be good till I ran it all? Any advice for info would be appreciated. Thank you
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

ly44889 wrote:I'm a newbie building a keg still and was wondering if I made a 30 gallon wash, would I be able to run it in 3 seperate runs in 10 gallon batches and if the wash would still be good till I ran it all? Any advice for info would be appreciated. Thank you
That will be fine. I often do washes in two 30 gallon drums at a time. Generally I will only strip once a day. save up my striping runs until I have enough for two or three spirit runs.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

freefall wrote:
ly44889 wrote:I'm a newbie building a keg still and was wondering if I made a 30 gallon wash, would I be able to run it in 3 seperate runs in 10 gallon batches and if the wash would still be good till I ran it all? Any advice for info would be appreciated. Thank you
That will be fine. I often do washes in two 30 gallon drums at a time. Generally I will only strip once a day. save up my striping runs until I have enough for two or three spirit runs.
+1

I occasionally do 40-gallon mashes and have a 25 gallon still. I will run 2 separate runs. Sometimes I will do a 1.5 run (put the strip of the first run into the mash of the second run) and sometimes I strip both and then spirit. With my new 5 gallon still though... I may move to more 2 strips and spirit runs(maybe backset to dilute....Ohhh the possibilities!!)
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

Thank you all for the info. Alot of research to do and alot of learning. Excited to make some good spirits!! One thing I read but can't remember and can't seem to find it again, was about an abv being over or under a certain percentage for safety reasons. I can't remember the percentage or the process of reducing it. If someone could give me a quick rundown on the whole thing, I'd appreciate it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Dilute to less than 40% with water for a second or third run .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

Makes sense. Would there still be foreshots on a 2nd or 3rd run? Is there foreshots in every run no matter what? Sorry for asking dumb questions. I just wanna make sure that when I do make my 1st run, it's gonna be a goodin!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
Ifn you haven't run that wash by now Max, I'd start over, as 7yrs is more than I've ever heard of.
Post more often and don't be a stranger.
Good luck and be safe. :D
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

Realized I was asking too many questions in the welcome center that can be answered with more and more and more reading. Apologies to all and thanks for the info.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

ly44889 wrote:Realized I was asking too many questions in the welcome center that can be answered with more and more and more reading. Apologies to all and thanks for the info.
No apologies require as you done figured it out for your self . Stick with us and avail yourself of all the honest info available here .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .