Checking In

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

misplacedtexan
Novice

Checking In

Post by misplacedtexan »

So I stumbled on to this site about a week ago, and it hasn't left my browser since. I've even contemplated making it my homepage.

I'm Douglas, born and raised in the hill country of Texas, been living in Texas' hat for the last 7 years or so. I've had friends who's relatives made shine/corn whisky, and they'd bring it out every once in a while and we'd drink the hell out of it, but I've never tried to produce my own.

I'm out of country right now, but should be returning in the next month or so. The more I read, the more excited I get. I think I'm going to start off with a pot still, seems like the way to go. Run a 2"x2' column, an elbow, then a slanted 1/2" pipe down and coil it into the condenser, and probably use a bucket full of ice water as a condenser. For the boiler I'm thinking a 35 quart stainless steel pot, tack weld some latches on the side, and probably use flower paste to seal it. I'm sure the whole thing is going to be a big learning process. But I've got a couple buddies who are going to help me out, one who is a master plumber who should be able to teach me/help with soldering the copper.

I know there is a literal ton to be learned, and being able to distill is going to take a lot of learning the hard way, but this website is a literal wealth of knowledge, and I'm looking forward to the experience. so a big thanks to everyone who laid down the knowledge I've been attempting to pick up.
skbrew
Novice

Re: Checking In

Post by skbrew »

Welcome Texan...

I am also a newbie and I have decided to run a pot still as well. I think I am also going to build a brewing stand (propane burner, table, and condenser station) all on one welded item (design to follow). I am a homebrewer so having all your tools on one stand is a typical item.

~SKBrew
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

Welcome:

Do yourself a favor, and start with a keg. Also, ice in a bucket almost never works. You can find dozens of post where stillers have underestimated the amount of cooling it takes to cool the vapor.

So, learn from their mistakes, I'd suggest a properly engineered leibeg from the get go.

Where are you stationed?

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

I'm not disagreeing with Bull but a worm condeser will work fine, but not with ice, ya need some water flow, from the bottom up. A temp gradient will form with the top being hot and the bottom cold, usually the water at the top of my flake stand is too hot to put my hand in but my distillate come out the end of the worm rite at 60F. Don't take much water flow, just a trickle.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Well, first. Welcome to the Forum.
As you have already seen, tons of great info.

Now to the part that always gets me called a Bitch.
Please be careful whom you tell/bring into this new
found adventure. Well, you already know the rest.
I'll shutup about it.
ArkyJ
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

Welcome Douglas. Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row for what you wanna do. Keep readin and make sure you know enough to do it safely then let er rip. Keep your head down over there till you can get back home. Here's to ya.
skbrew wrote:Welcome Texan...

I am also a newbie and I have decided to run a pot still as well. I think I am also going to build a brewing stand (propane burner, table, and condenser station) all on one welded item (design to follow). I am a homebrewer so having all your tools on one stand is a typical item.

~SKBrew
SKBrew, ole boys will tell you don't leave an outfit up on blocks. Break it down and put it away. It ain't for show. I have a 3-tier brewing system but this is not home brewing. Homebrewings a good cover but a cover won't do any good if your rigs settin out for the world to see.
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
misplacedtexan
Novice

Post by misplacedtexan »

Hey guys, thanks for the welcomes, I appreciate it.

I'll definitley keep researching. I was thinking the flake stand/coil idea just because of the ease of set up, but the liebig design seems simple enough, just a water jacket. It seems either way I'm going to need a water pump to push cold water, that was the reason I was thinking a bucket of ice, to get around needing a pump. But it seem's I'll need one anyway, might just go with the liebig. I've got tons and tons to read and learn, so I'm sure my design is going to change more than a couple times.

Everything out here has been pretty quiet. Got moved out of Iraq due to drawdown, down in Kuwait until I'm out of here.

No worries, Arky, keeping secrets is a part of my job.
skbrew
Novice

Post by skbrew »

SKBrew, ole boys will tell you don't leave an outfit up on blocks. Break it down and put it away. It ain't for show. I have a 3-tier brewing system but this is not home brewing. Homebrewings a good cover but a cover won't do any good if your rigs settin out for the world to see.
Thanks for the advice..will definetly follow it. I am thinking about a keg based pot still system. I am a bigger fan of Whisky/Rum then of neutral spirits.

I will definetly think out my full design prior to posting, thus I can learn from others, as well as make a few mistakes of my own to learn from.

~SKBrew