New guy from texas

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

ecriner
Novice

New guy from texas

Post by ecriner »

New guy in tx. Howdy everyone. Been brewing beer for quite some time. Got some friends that have been distilling for a few years. I am building a pot still, 30 qt. 1" column to a 3/4" worm. Ive done a few mashes in 5 gallon buckets. Tried em out on a friends still. Not too bad. I see my friends fermenting in a grey 20 gallon trash can. They have a couple airlocks on the lid. I looked at the bottom of these cans and they do not say hdpe. Is this a safe fermenter? I am limited on space and a few 5 gallon buckets to ferment in is taking to much space. Also, are you able to ferment in a galvanized can? Thanks!
theholymackerel
retired

Re: New guy from texas

Post by theholymackerel »

Howdy, and welcome!
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

welcome to the forum
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to the forum, if you have the space I think you will quickly outgrow that still. As far as the garbage cans for fermenting I believe you can get food grade liners for them that are cheap and work.
ecriner
Novice

Post by ecriner »

Thanks for the welcome. Here in corpus christi, everywhere I go, its aluminum pots. I am looking for 80 - 100 qt. They are expensive and I have to order one, even from a restaurant supply. As far as plastic liners, cant find any here locally. I do work for a beer company and kegs are plenty, but they ate all aluminum. Most plastic cans I find say pp or ldpe with the triangle and #2. I am making a basic pot still with a stainless dish on the lid and my column on that. Any advice on the fermenter? Gotta be safe all the way around! Thanks!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ecriner wrote:Thanks for the welcome. Here in corpus christi, everywhere I go, its aluminum pots. I am looking for 80 - 100 qt. They are expensive and I have to order one, even from a restaurant supply. As far as plastic liners, cant find any here locally. I do work for a beer company and kegs are plenty, but they ate all aluminum. Most plastic cans I find say pp or ldpe with the triangle and #2. I am making a basic pot still with a stainless dish on the lid and my column on that. Any advice on the fermenter? Gotta be safe all the way around! Thanks!
You might want to double-check those kegs because virtually all kegs in use today are stainless steel - even in Texas... Go with a SS keg...
ecriner
Novice

Post by ecriner »

The guys at the warehouse told me they are aluminum. I will have to double check. Is a galvanized steel can ok to use?
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

ecriner wrote:The guys at the warehouse told me they are aluminum. I will have to double check. Is a galvanized steel can ok to use?

NO
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ecriner
Novice

Post by ecriner »

Gotcha! Thanks! :clap:
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

As Rad said, aluminum 1/2 kegs are rare, though the 1/4 and smaller are often aluminum. Big aluminum kegs get bent up too soon to be economical. Lightly rub a file on it- it'll scratch up aluminum and barely do anything to ss. Welcome.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
ecriner
Novice

Post by ecriner »

Thanks a bunch! They are stainless. Gonna try and grab me a couple.
ecriner
Novice

Post by ecriner »

Came into some luck today. I got me a 50 gallon, white, hdpe, drum.........for free! It was at a buddys house. Never been used. I cut the lid and cleaned it up with some water and vinegar. Letting it air dry for a couple days.