Thanks from the great white North

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

gladitooktheredpill
Novice

Thanks from the great white North

Post by gladitooktheredpill »

Hey everyone,

I've been looking through this site for about a week now, and I'm amazed at the amount of information it provides. I'm up north working at a drilling rig right now, but I plan on building my first still when I get back home on days off. These are exciting times...very exciting times. Thanks to all you contributors. :clap:
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Thanks from the great white North

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Welcome to the forum
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
moonshine guy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moonshine guy »

Yes! This one fun hobby to get into! Once you build your first column, you can't wait to start next better column! The. You will want to improve your boiler from gas to electric, and on and on! BTW , Welcome!
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Welcome to the forum gladitooktheredpill, lots to learn in this hobby, its a lot of fun and a great challenge.
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
August West
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by August West »

Howdy gittrp and welcome,

Consider reading everything, and then read some more. Just about everything you could want to know about stillin' is here, be safe

AW
If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who won't listen to the things you've got to tell them, who do you think's gonna care?
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Welcome aboard.

What kind of drink would you like to make?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
gladitooktheredpill
Novice

Prairiepiss wrote:Welcome aboard.

Ultimately I'd like to make something approaching a decent single malt scotch, but that sounds like it demands some experience. I suppose I'll do what I'm told and start out with a simple sugar wash to make some vodka. The Gerber wash sounds good.
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

gladitooktheredpill wrote:
Prairiepiss wrote:Welcome aboard.

Ultimately I'd like to make something approaching a decent single malt scotch, but that sounds like it demands some experience. I suppose I'll do what I'm told and start out with a simple sugar wash to make some vodka. The Gerber wash sounds good.
Have you looked into UJSSM at all? They don't call it "simple" for nothing! Great way to get experience in whiskeys before heading into all grains.
Experience is what you get right after you need it.
gladitooktheredpill
Novice

First step...appease the wife, who thinks I've lost my mind, and make a vodka she's impressed by. Then onto the whiskies.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Vodka may sound easy to make and I guess it is, but making a good vodka is not as easy as it sounds, or maybe I'm too particular, it took me a year or so before I could really make consistantly good vodka. But then I made a lot of mistakes that could have been avoided if I had found this site sooner. Read here and study, it will help you avoid many pit falls. Good Luck OMD
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
gladitooktheredpill
Novice

OlympicMtDoo wrote:Vodka may sound easy to make and I guess it is, but making a good vodka is not as easy as it sounds, or maybe I'm too particular, it took me a year or so before I could really make consistantly good vodka. But then I made a lot of mistakes that could have been avoided if I had found this site sooner. Read here and study, it will help you avoid many pit falls. Good Luck OMD
Well, I've spent a lot of hours reading through this material, and I've had some organic chemistry lab experience, so I think I might be able to make something pretty decent first time out. I hope I'm not kidding myself and get be surprised by failure, but there's only one way to know for sure. I plan on making Bokakob's "The Pot Still" and doing the Gerber recipe as soon as I get home. The only thing that's got me a bit hung up is finding something appropriate for a boiler. I just can't afford to go out and buy something like a keg right now, so I'm going to have to find something else. I was thinking of hitting the local paint stores and seeing if they have any of those large paint containers, or even using one of those big blue specked canning pots. The double stainless steel bowl scares me because of the seal being lower than the fluid level. Regardless, I may have less than a week home before I have to be back at work for another long hitch.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

The examples of boilers you mentioned are not good. Stainless or copper is what you need to be looking for. Anything other that those two are not recommended.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

Prairiepiss wrote:The examples of boilers you mentioned are not good. Stainless or copper is what you need to be looking for. Anything other that those two are not recommended.
+1
For your own safety, just buy a SS stock pot. When I started I got one for like $5 from Goodwill
Experience is what you get right after you need it.
Uncle Artie
Novice

Post by Uncle Artie »

Yeah, stainless or copper is the way to go. Like V said, keep an eye out at goodwill, or the like. I just found some dirt cheap stock pots at Ross to use for my pot/thumper setup.
Just getting started, trying not to be another idiot building a poison mill.