Hello from the Heartland

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

fooznfool
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello from the Heartland

Post by fooznfool »

Hello all from the great corn state... IOWA. New to this whole thing but the bug has bitten and I am underway. I uploaded a couple of pics of my 5gal in action. Currently constructing a 15 gal from a nice beer keg. I am cuurently on my fourth run of birdwatchers "sugar wash". All have had sucessful ferments. Just trying to figure out the cuts... :crazy: I have tried a AG mash and it seemed to work ok...tasted like cow turds so i will try that again later. A wealth of info on here and am excited to learn as much as possible to make this a sucessful past-time. Lots of corn around here...1200 acres of farmland at my disposal so grain (corn) is not a problem. I want to focus on AG once I get a better hang of it so any help is always welcome. THNAKS!
Attachments
IMG00033-20120923-2119.jpg
IMG00032-20120923-2115.jpg
Distilling is like good sex!! Slow, leaves you with that good feeling, and makes the neighbors wonder what the heck is going on that time of the morning!
rad14701
retired

Re: Hello from the Heartland

Post by rad14701 »

Greetings, fooznfool...

I'm not liking the use of what looks like silicone or other gasket sealer between the mixing bowl and pot lid... Can you verify that it is safe for the purpose it is being used for...??? By that I mean exposure to high temperature high proof alcohol vapor and liquid...

As you will learn, we make every effort to practice this hobby safely...

Good luck and stay safe...
BareKnuckles
Swill Maker

Post by BareKnuckles »

rad14701 wrote:Greetings, fooznfool...

I'm not liking the use of what looks like silicone or other gasket sealer between the mixing bowl and pot lid... Can you verify that it is safe for the purpose it is being used for...??? By that I mean exposure to high temperature high proof alcohol vapor and liquid...

As you will learn, we make every effort to practice this hobby safely...

Good luck and stay safe...
+1...

What is that heating apparatus you are using there?
skydivemd
Novice

Post by skydivemd »

looks like a hot plate on an inverted cookie sheet. Interesting design on the hot plate either way.
jumps out of perfectly good airplanes...

Blue Skies,
skydiveMD
ro palinca
Bootlegger

Post by ro palinca »

As you see, there is much feedback regarding safety for you. Please read about hazards/materials for this hobby.
fooznfool
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fooznfool »

ro palinca wrote:As you see, there is much feedback regarding safety for you. Please read about hazards/materials for this hobby.
That is great..just what I want..no such thing as a stupid question or non-constructive criticism.

skydivemd - you have a good eye..exactly what it is. A 1500watt 120v hot plate...seems to work well. Cookie sheet under to give me the height I needed.

rad14701 -again, you are correct. This still was a new purchase off of ebay... :oops: I couldnt wait until I got mine built so I thought a small one first, then go bigger. The construction of it has what appears as a stainless bowl bolted to the top of the pot. There is a vivran flexible gasket between the bowl and the pod lid. However after the second batch I expeirenced minor leakage from one point of the gasket and two of the screws attaching the bowl to the lid. One of the handles rivet started leaking down the side of the pot as well making a mess on the hot plate. I used hi-temp RTV silicone "red"on the outside only of areas when some seapage was occuring. I have had no leaks since. I do not see any possibility of this getting into the still to contaminate anything and it will withstand extremely hi-temps (used it many times on my race car exhaust leaks). I am definately open to opinions though if anyone feels this is unsafe...you are the experts!!

Thanks for the comment!
Distilling is like good sex!! Slow, leaves you with that good feeling, and makes the neighbors wonder what the heck is going on that time of the morning!
ro palinca
Bootlegger

Post by ro palinca »

@fooznfool
no such thing as a stupid question or non-constructive criticism
what it is then? some form of " I know all but give me a handshake"?