DOUBLE STILL IN AIR STILL

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

cre8web
Novice

DOUBLE STILL IN AIR STILL

Post by cre8web »

Hi All

Sorry if this a dumb question, can you, and is there any advantage of double distilling in an airstill?

I know all the reasons to use a reflux etc, but so not want to open that debate, I have both and my airstill suits my lifestyle

Cheers

Marty

Darwin Aus
cre8web
Novice

Re: DOUBLE STILL IN AIR STILL

Post by cre8web »

I meant to add, if you can and should, what would be the process, - written for a novice please in simple steps

Marty
cornsqueezens
Novice

Post by cornsqueezens »

What is this airstill you speak of?? In my opinion anytime you can distilled more than once in a run is a good thing! It's going to increase your proof. which is pretty much the gist of reflux.
Oh.....I see what you did there.
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

heres a read on air stills that might help http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 60&t=17245 as to your question the more you run a wash through the cleaner it will get
cre8web
Novice

Post by cre8web »

Thanks for the info, I guess what I was wondering is how you double still, do I take off the 700ml (60% proof) dilute back to 4 litres and run again to get 700ml again?

Just not sure of e process.

Thanks Marty
danmiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by danmiz »

First run you collect everything. It's called a stripping run. Do that 2 or 3 times till you have enough to fill it again then you do a spirit run and do your cuts.
First 50 ml throw out.
250 ml heads. Don't drink it. Head ache stuff
Collect 1000 ml or so of hearts. Good stuff
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

double distilling is just the rerunning of what youve already ran the first run as said above will be a stripping run when double distilling. some people when doing a stripping run will throw out foreshots and then collect all down to about 20%. then dilute the spirit down to 40% abv this is below burning level so your not cooking flamable materials. load it back into the still and run it again doing proper cuts. i myself take foreshots every run , my thinking being that even if not needed better safe than sorry and your only throwing away heads which i dont like anyway, this is personal preference as some say once fores has been taken once its not needed again
cornsqueezens
Novice

Post by cornsqueezens »

jholmz wrote:double distilling is just the rerunning of what youve already ran the first run as said above will be a stripping run when double distilling. some people when doing a stripping run will throw out foreshots and then collect all down to about 20%. then dilute the spirit down to 40% abv this is below burning level so your not cooking flamable materials. load it back into the still and run it again doing proper cuts. i myself take foreshots every run , my thinking being that even if not needed better safe than sorry and your only throwing away heads which i don't like any way I run my stuff twice and it reaches 170 ABV pretty damn good for a pot still anyway, this is personal preference as some say once fores has been taken once its not needed again
exactly as I said yes I'm using a mobile phone the reason for the jumbled text! Lol The first time I run my stuff I get maximum 125 proof!! With a pot still my design. I have tried to upload pictures but unsuccessful
. Yes I have to do 2 runs but 17o come on now. Once you have removed all the methanol shouldn't it be gone??? Still don't understand the "air still" seems like a waste of time Boka column is the way to go
cornsqueezens
Novice

Post by cornsqueezens »

Hey I checked out the air still?? Looks like a coffee pot to me! Lol I have a basic stainless steel pot. 16 quart boiler basic 1 inch stack and lye arm. And 25 feet of worm in a bucket. Learn to build your own still it gives you a greater understanding and appreciation of the hobby!! I've been a member since December and I make high quality Premium hooch!!!ujssm been experimenting with Brandy's and Gerber! But start with ujssm. Follow the directions it's pretty much fail proof! I'm waiting on a piece of copper! For my boka! Is the best by far I see by my research. And I have my own version of it with a column cooler. A rifled column cooler so you get more heat transfer. They are crude pencil drawings but I can't upload them because my phone sucks! Lol Once I CAD them I will upload them
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Double distilling is simple.
Run the wash. This will give you what is normally called low wines.
Do this 3 to 4 times.
Combine the low wines from those runs. Dilute to 40% or under.
Put it in the still and run it again.

Foreshots? You can take them out on the first run.
Or on the second run. On the second run. Make sure you take off enough to cover the amount of runs made to fill the boiler. So if you run the low wins from 3 runs. You would need to toss out 3 times the amount you would normally take out for one run.

Simplest way to do it is to take the foreshots out on the first run. Then on the second run take out the same amount as you would normally take out for a regular run.
So if you toss 1 oz for a normal tun. First runs toss the 1 oz. On all the wash runs.
Then on the second run there will still be some bad stuff there. But not nearly as much. So even thought you filled the still with the low wines of 3 runs. Toss out another 1 oz.

Not sure if that made since?

I don't know how that little still could suit anyone's needs. If I was forced to use one of them. I would quit drinking first. Or buy store bought. To each his own.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
cre8web
Novice

Post by cre8web »

The main, and only reason I use the Airstill is due to my profession, I am a paramedic and use this as a means of unwinding after work, here is the picture.
I make a wash, come home, have a bourbon and watch it bubble, repeat 7 evenings, unwind go to bed

Then the next week, put 4 litres in Airstill and only have to wait 2 hours 800ml at 65%, of course while drinking bourbon and de stressing. Repeat each night till wash is gone, then repeat whole process.

I have a wife and 3 kids and just over the last 2 years never had the time to run reflux still in one go as we lead a busy life with kids sport etc, so having the Airstill has meant I can do small runs each evening, my job is pretty stressful some days and I find it a great way to re focus.

It's great to read what you all do, but I do see me changing much. I know you can up to 95% from a reflux system but I am working on 65% of something is better than 95% of nothing.

After taking off at 65% I run through two ezifilters and then one ceramic filter, how does compare? I have no idea! But I love it!

Thanks for all the feedback

Marty
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Yeah but I just ran my still. It was a 10 gal 8% ferment. I took off a total of 4 lts. Hearts section was mid 80%. In 2.5 hours. I've ran it three nights this week. And end up with plenty to make good cuts with. Just saying. :problem:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

https://www.vevor.com/products/4l-water ... hwEALw_wcB

Can any folks weigh in if this will work?
I can set the temp.

I have a ridiculously awesome setup but I need something I can tinker with on a small scale for a recipe development
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Suggest paying more for the Still Spirits Air Still without temperature control…….. steadier results without thermostat.
TheWhiteDragon
Novice

Post by TheWhiteDragon »

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am locking this thread as it is in the Welcome Center but definitely not a on track. Please start your thread in the appropriate forum.