Hello from the UK

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Earlster
Novice

Hello from the UK

Post by Earlster »

Hey there,
I live in the north east of the UK and have been reading about distilling for a few months. Initially it was to lower some of the costs and improve the quality of the vodka infusions I have been making for quite a few years, but unfortunately you guys forgot to put a MASSIVE WARNING on the site telling us newbies that once you start reading about building stills it becomes addictive!
I've went through lots of research on what still I would like, I've also thought about what I want to do, initially I would be happy to make good quality vodka's but the more I read the more I want to try making rum and I'm getting obsessed with making absinthe. So I want a still that can do it all, and I plan on making a 4" flute, possibly with an extension to the number of plates I can use. I'm still learning (who of us isn't?) and I'm sure the design will change over time.
I have been quite close to buying a still, especially since there are some great ones available, I have no workshop right now, no space and my mobility is limited. A few weeks ago we got an out of the blue offer to buy our house, we had seen our dream home a year before and found it still on the market, so we are in the process of moving.. and this house has a great space for a workshop, so I'm planning on making a workshop/still room. To add to this of course I have virtualy no tools, so its time for me to so some research and see what I need to get to both put a workshop together and to build my still, as you can tell, I'm pretty excited about the prospect :clap:

I hope to bother you all with tons of questions, and I plan on making a thread about both the workshop and the still build, although I doubt I'll be doing much new to you guys.

Thanks again for such a great community.

Earl
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to HD but beware This hobby can become addictive! I as most members that stick around agree and it's not all about the liquor but the journey and all parts along the way. We have many members with great expertise in different areas that you and all of us have and will learn from.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Welcome to HD Earlster... Another Brit joins the ranks... :thumbup:

As Bushman pointed out, its the journey to your first bottle of beverage that's the exciting part. And when you get there, you just want to share your new beverage and talk shop, describing all and every little detail of how you got to where you are. Yet, we cannot. Thats the really hard part, but one that you learn to live with, until at least, the rules change. Like many, I have been distilling my own vodka and whisky for many years. Following a few rules on Fermenting and Running your reflux still will give you a very good clean vodka almost immediately after distilling and airing the product. Whisky/Sour Mash/Bourbon, Ect, is a different story altogether as these products only improve with age. I just opened a 10L barrel of UJSSM that has been aging for nearly 3 years. Not pulling my own chain, but it is damn good and much better than can be bought in the store.

If I were to start over with home-distillation, I would make a simple 30L pot still for flavoured drinks and an LM/VM hybrid for vodka. I'am half way through building a flute, but that is only to increase the amount of flavour to my whiskies that it will give.

If its Vodka your after initially, then a Bokakob Slant Plate (LM) will get you up and running, you can always add the VM to it later for about £70.

You're in for a great ride, take lots of notes when you are studying and pay special attention to the safety aspects of the hobby. Do that and you will be up and running in no time at all.

Were here to help with anything that seems confusing. There are some great experts here and even greater personalities.

Good luck on your way forward... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Earlster
Novice

Post by Earlster »

Thanks for the welcome guys, I think the first thing I'm going to work on is a keg boiler, since no matter what direction I go in, I know I'm going to need one, and it gives me a chance to get into the swing of things. I've read that cutting and welding SS is a mare, but I'm hoping to enlist some expert help since I recently found out one of my cousins is a blacksmith.
The main thing now is seeing what I can do with the workspace I'm going to have, soon as I get in there I'll take some shots and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Earl
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

Hi Mate, I might be just what you are looking for. I have a 2" boka which might be for sale if you want to take a look at it? I'm not far from Leeds, send me PM if you want to know more.

You can see the build here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=33821
gavbell
Novice

Post by gavbell »

Hello I only joined HD today and there is so much information on this site its great.

I am also from the North East UK

I bought a Still Spirits Turbo 500 and i dont think you can really go wrong with these for a newbie like myself.

Cheers

Gav
Earlster
Novice

Post by Earlster »

Hey Gav, welcome.

I considered a T500 myself the only thing thats stopped me (appart from space) is the fact that building a still seems to be tons of fun.
Its great to hear there are a few northern lads on the site.

Earl
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

gavbell wrote:Hello I only joined HD today and there is so much information on this site its great.

I bought a Still Spirits Turbo 500 and i dont think you can really go wrong with these for a newbie like myself.

Cheers

Gav
No, but you could have saved a fortune. You could have had my 2 inch boka for less than a tonne ;-)
gavbell
Novice

Post by gavbell »

ErnieV wrote:
gavbell wrote:Hello I only joined HD today and there is so much information on this site its great.

Cheers

Gav
No, but you could have saved a fortune. You could have had my 2 inch boka for less than a tonne ;-)
Ha I'm gutted now you said that :( I do like the sound of running a proper still I'm still learning loads at the moment as its loads to take in.

Gav
Gaztops
Bootlegger

Post by Gaztops »

Hello Guys, my total setup from building a potstill with liebig condenser to fermenting gear, hydrometer, etc came to £90

It is a lot cheaper making your own.

I did have enough copper tube from fitting my bathroom suite, so the price of the copper isn't included in the total.
A man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over a man who cannot read.