A tale from the Frozen North

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

something fermented
Novice

A tale from the Frozen North

Post by something fermented »

Bonjour / Hello,

I have been lurking for a while now and finally registered to say thanks to this great community and contribute what I've been up to.

There has been an ongoing descent for me into what I call fermentation madness. It all started out with a simple loaf of bread. I became interested in the process and loved that this wonderful yeast was doing a bunch of work for you while you did absolutely nothing! As I read up on the origins of breads from specific regions of the world and how it has impacted the health of people of those areas, I became more aware of what I was consuming myself.

Jump to today and I have some fairly well developed ideas on why we as a society have such a high incidence of things such as gluten allergies. It all boils back to the fact that time has been optimized out of everything possible when it comes to the commercial production process. Faster is 'better' and makes supply chain's much easier to optimize. Who wants to leave yeast to do its thing to help break down the flour in a loaf of bread into something you can more easily digest and is more healthy for you. Instead we have the Chorleywood bread process with quick time to market and long self live as the primary concerns.

From bread I've gone to other home fermentation such as sauerkraut (this smell will test a marriage if you're not careful). I've also had an interest in home brewing which of course led to keeping hops. I'm currently growing half a dozen different varieties to use in my home brewing. Much fun was had taking a pillow slip full of freshly picked hops to a craft beer festival to share with friends.

Brewing led to thinking about distilling, and while I in no way vouch for authenticity of the show, Moonshiners pushed me over the edge to finally act and take some steps towards producing my own liquor. Investigation online led me to this forum and I settled in the the long haul. What a journey of discovery it's been since I fist got here.

Thinking that things would come together fairly quickly I went and dove into the tried and true recipes. Rad's All Bran was my first go at a wash. Once I got that started I figured there was a deadline to work towards. Little did I realize how naive this was. The All Bran went bad in the carboy and ended up being poured down the drain before the build even started with my wife complaining the whole house smelled of booze (this was before I ever aired any product out :wink: ).

After much reading on equipment I went ahead with the build for a 2" Boka. It seemed like a good fit in terms of skill and required equipment. At the same time I though I would make a simple pot still to use in the kitchen and picked up parts to do that as well. The irony is, most of those pot still parts still sit unused. Trying to do two builds at once did nothing but distract me from finishing the Boka which was what I really wanted.

The Boka has since been completed, put through its cleaning run with vinegar, and had a sacrificial Hook Rum sent through it. I was experimenting with feed molasses from the local farm supply store. I had read about avoiding molasses with preservatives in it. The farm supply store said it had a preservative in it but I figured it was a cheap experiment so went ahead and tried a wash anyway. It fermented like a champ!

My double condenser coil turned out exceptionally well. I hand wound it and managed not to kink it despite not filling it with salt. Working with the 2" L type was an experience. I'm glad I hammered out 3/4" pipe flat for my plates instead of trying to do the same with the 2". Soldering was fairly straight forward but it's always surprising how much time you can invest into something. I figure between building easy flanges for mating to my keg, measuring, cutting, soldering, sourcing parts, finding suppliers, etc. I have easily invested 3-5 man days into the build, let alone all the reading done on this site!

I've also run a batch of UJSSM and am currently waiting on my 2nd generation to finish so I can strip that to add to what I pulled from the first run.

My results on both the Hook Rum and UJSSM wash were impressive to me. The hearts of both runs came out at 93% ABV. My first run I ran really slow trying to learn as much as possible about the operation of the column. The second run with the UJSSM I pushed much quicker but not quite wide open as I wanted to keep the column temp fairly stable. The fact that the ABV between the two runs was identical was surprising to me. I was expecting to see lower ABV when I pushed the column harder.

The take away for me was I need to get a small liebig built for my off take spout as the distillate was pretty warm and steaming on my 2nd run when I was running hard. The angels got more than their fair share :angel:

My column is fairly tall at 6' and needs to be run outside. The Boka head itself has a full 12" of condensing power plus a little extra for the water in/out at the top. The reflux section is at least 54", possibly a touch more.

Last but not least, a picture of the UJSSM 1st gen being pulled off :D
1st gen UJSSM
1st gen UJSSM
So thank you to all the old timers that have forged the path for us young-lings. I have so much still left to learn and flute dreams to fill, but I'm having a blast in the mean time.
2" Boka + 50L Keg
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Re: A tale from the Frozen North

Post by ga flatwoods »

Well, it took a minute to read your introduction but it is quite evident you have been reading and studying. Looked like my boka for a minute. I recently added a liebig condenser to my take off line-used a 12" piece of 1/2" with caps on each end two holes drilled for the through line and intake/out take. I feed directly to the liebig then onto the graham at the top of the boka. Works very well. Be sure to look up Odin's full flavor whiskey with a reflux post.
Good luck, keep reading, and enjoy. You seem off to a good start!
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

There has been an ongoing descent for me into what I call fermentation madness. It all started out with a simple loaf of bread. I became interested in the process and loved that this wonderful yeast was doing a bunch of work for you while you did absolutely nothing! As I read up on the origins of breads from specific regions of the world and how it has impacted the health of people of those areas, I became more aware of what I was consuming myself.
We share a similar story. It started with bread when I moved away from my home city and was homesick, wine after my father died because I missed him, beer just because, distillation by chance and fermented veggies/beverages for health. I still partake in all of them and it's still fun.

Welcome aboard.
I do all my own stunts
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

I never really studied bread like you have, but after my last trip to Alaska.... Ummmmm I think 2007 I came home with 2 things. 1 the Alaskan boot keg gets bible. My first real distilling read... My friends gave it to me cause that's all I talked about. 2 was sour dough. I had A LOT of fun playing with sour dough. Great bread and pancakes.

Welcome aboard. Welcome to the addiction.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

Lols at moonshiners on TV... they inspired me too. I was like, these guys seem kind of dumb, and they do it!
Welcome!
:twisted:
"You know, you can just buy that stuff right up the road" he said.
I just smiled, and said quietly, "No you can't".
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Black Eye wrote: 2 was sour dough. I had A LOT of fun playing with sour dough. Great bread and pancakes. Welcome aboard. Welcome to the addiction.
Sourdough is INDEED awesome, though it takes a bit more planning to work with. Have me some that I started with baker's yeast, and another jar that I started with just water, flour, and whatever yeast/lacto was in the air. Smells GOOD!!!
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

something fermented wrote:My results on both the Hook Rum and UJSSM wash were impressive to me. The hearts of both runs came out at 93% ABV.
I'm no Boka expert, but my understanding is that you can get results similar to a pot still if you remove the packing from the column.

The reason I say this is that you are probably missing out on the majority of the flavor by distilling at such a high ABV.

Most of us who are chasing flavors -- whiskey, rum, brandy, etc. -- usually start getting distillate in the 70% range and we might run down to 40%, 30%, or 20% if that is where we find some of the flavors we're after.

Maybe some of the Boka guys can chime in here with their advice.

Alternatively, you could build a pot still head and have the Liebig you're talking about making work for both the Boka takeoff and the pot still head. Just a thought.

Anyway, great story. I'm sure you'll have plenty to contribute here with your love of fermentation.

Welcome aboard, mate.
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

If you like Rum, Bucaneer Bob is the guy to talk to. Aaargh!
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Yes he is. I'm bottling up my first attempt at his recipe this weekend. It's already been aging a a few weeks and I gotta say it's damn good. Gonna start a new batch this weekend since I have plenty more molasses. I definitely recommend giving his recipe a shot.

As for spur dough, I started mine with potatoes boiled down to starch and it was great. I kept it alive for a good 3 years before my living situation got all tossed into upheaval.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Sourdough starter in 2-3 days. Check it out -

http://mariana-aga.livejournal.com/190167.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Works like a charm.
I do all my own stunts
something fermented
Novice

ga flatwoods wrote:I recently added a liebig condenser to my take off line-used a 12" piece of 1/2" with caps on each end two holes drilled for the through line and intake/out take. I feed directly to the liebig then onto the graham at the top of the boka. Works very well. Be sure to look up Odin's full flavor whiskey with a reflux post.
GA Flatwoods
GA, did you use any wire wrapped around the ouside of your inner pipe to disrupt the flow of the cooling water in your Liebig? I could build with 1/4" or 1/2" on the inner pipe and haven't decided which way to go yet. Going with the 1/4" would have the nice side effect that my distillate would get to the parrot faster (once I get it built) but if I go with the 1/2" I could also use it to cool down liquid in my mash tun when draining it while making beer.

The post by Odin you're referring to is on Making pure whiskey. It's an interesting read and exciting to see those results come from a LM setup. I'm looking forward to having enough wash going to be able to try out different approaches (detuned vs. full reflux with feints). I kept my wash to 20L until I had a proper sour going but suspect I will scale it up on gen 3. The one nice thing about this hobby is once you've got the copper built, the cost per batch is negligible.
blind drunk wrote:We share a similar story. It started with bread when I moved away from my home city and was homesick, wine after my father died because I missed him, beer just because, distillation by chance and fermented veggies/beverages for health. I still partake in all of them and it's still fun.
blind, I find the hard part right now is prioritizing which project to tackle first. I just got a 2 gal crock of kraut going last weekend because the cabbage heads were near to splitting in the garden! I decided I could manage the Boka and cut cabbage at the same time. :thumbup:
F6Hawk wrote:
Black Eye wrote: 2 was sour dough. I had A LOT of fun playing with sour dough. Great bread and pancakes. Welcome aboard. Welcome to the addiction.
Sourdough is INDEED awesome, though it takes a bit more planning to work with. Have me some that I started with baker's yeast, and another jar that I started with just water, flour, and whatever yeast/lacto was in the air. Smells GOOD!!!
F6, you should try starting a natural sourdough. So much flavour and so simple at the same time. One of my favorites is from the book Bread Matters by Andrew Whitely. If you're interested, the process can be found here. While bakers yeast has its place, I find less yeast to start with and giving the bread time to do its thing results in superior flavour in the finished product.
Buccaneer Bob wrote:
something fermented wrote:My results on both the Hook Rum and UJSSM wash were impressive to me. The hearts of both runs came out at 93% ABV.
I'm no Boka expert, but my understanding is that you can get results similar to a pot still if you remove the packing from the column.

The reason I say this is that you are probably missing out on the majority of the flavor by distilling at such a high ABV.
Buccaneer Bob, I agree I'm missing out on much of the flavour profile given the ABV I was taking off. What surprised me the most was actually how different the hearts of the two runs smelled and tasted (I had to sample a late hearts jar on the Hook Rum despite it being a cleaning wash :crazy:) The nose on the rum smells so much of the molasses when I compare it to the UJSSM.

I aired out the UJSSM and cut some down to drinking proof. Sat down with a close friend yesterday and had him taste it and give constructive criticism. We both think that the UJSSM that I got at 93% ABV, aired and cut to drinking strength is not neutral enough to be a neutral. On the other hand, it has a corn flavour that is quite nice but not really forward. I have a substantial liquor closet to compare my results against and the thing that jumped out to me when I direct compare my UJSSM to say my Gibsons 12, is how smooth it is. The flavour profile is definitely not as strong with the corn but it doesn't have any of the bite that I'm beginning to associate with the heads/tails. We both agreed that even as 1st gen, we'd be more than happy to sip it on ice which is something we would never do with a pure neutral.

I'm also looking forward to giving your Silver, Gold and Black recipe a try. I do love me some rum drinks and generally have Kraken, Sailor Jerry's Spiced, Black Seal, etc. on hand for various occasions.
Black Eye wrote:Yes he is. I'm bottling up my first attempt at his recipe this weekend. It's already been aging a a few weeks and I gotta say it's damn good. Gonna start a new batch this weekend since I have plenty more molasses. I definitely recommend giving his recipe a shot.
Black Eye, just make sure you report back in Buccaneer Bob's recipe thread with your tasting notes on the different bottles. I'm keenly interested in trying to replicate some of my favorite go to rums. A pot still may very well be needed to get me there, but all things in due time! :D

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
2" Boka + 50L Keg
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

I'm going to post there when I'm done bottling this afternoon. I got my sealing wax on the stove now. I'll give a full report when I get back from vacation, that's when we're really going to crack into this rum for a first sampling. Should be some time toward the middle of August. I'll tell you now just aged the short time it has been it's fantastic. Bobs recipe is damn good. He really put a lot of hard work into sharing, he should be recognized for it.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

SFdid not put in a break up line-didnt need that much, just in, out to cold finger. The 1/4 straight off the boka is the only size I considered with the 1/2 " outside. A liebig would have to be too large to use for beer chiller, maybe a graham condenser if large enough. I just do not see the two as interchangeable within reason. Somemthings just work best for their intended purpose.
Again, it is good to see your diligence! :| :thumbup:
GA
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
lampshade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by lampshade »

Hi Something,

I zoomed in on your still picture and noticed that your valve seems to be brass. You should replace it with a stainless steel valve. At the very minimum, you should make certain to pickle the brass valve on a regular basis. When alcohol comes into contact with brass, the alcohol leaches lead out of the brass -- lead is dangerous for human consumption. If you pickle, the pickling process removes any lead before it can be leached by the alcohol. But it is just more convenient and safer to avoid using brass in the alcohol path and only use copper or stainless steel. You can use brass, plastic, and etc. in the separate cooling water path.

Thanks for sharing your fermenting story. It was a pleasure to read.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow * Between the crosses, row on row, * We are the Dead. Short days ago * We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, * Loved and were loved, and now we lie * In Flanders fields. -- from a WWI poem
something fermented
Novice

lampshade wrote:Hi Something,

I zoomed in on your still picture and noticed that your valve seems to be brass. You should replace it with a stainless steel valve.<snip>

Thanks for sharing your fermenting story. It was a pleasure to read.
Appreciate the concern lampshade. I am aware of the dangers of using brass in anything that touches the vapour or condensed alcohol path. I tried to find a copper needle valve but got 'the look' from the hardware guy. They didn't have any and it sounded about as common as a hens tooth so I stuck with the pickled brass approach.

I'll admit the decision was based on looks alone. I much prefer the copper / brass over the SS. 8) I should probably detail my build in a separate post so I can include this stuff in there but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and would need to pull together all the notes, photos etc. I'm glad I got my welcome post in and can focus on a few more washes!

And actually, on the topic of getting 'the look', I'd love to hear other peoples stories about funny encounters. I had two that jump to mind over the course of the build. The first one was at the hardware supply place where I picked up my 2" copper tubing. He casually threw out the 'so what is it for?' question to which I had came back with 'an art installation'. This was after he asked if I wanted to sit down before I heard the pricing for the 2". Fortunately I knew what I was up for already in that department.

The second was when I was at the farm supply place picking up the cracked corn for the UJSSM. I went to the pick up area in the feed lot and pop the trunk. I have a bunch of copper scraps banging around in the back. The guy says 'making a little whiskey?' and all I could do was shrug my shoulders and smile. Not his first time to the rodeo it seems. :shifty:

I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I've enjoyed being able to share it with an appreciative audience! :thumbup:
2" Boka + 50L Keg
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Gonna need some adapting, but no brass here... http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-V ... alve+1%2F4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

blind drunk wrote:Sourdough starter in 2-3 days. Check it out -

http://mariana-aga.livejournal.com/190167.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Works like a charm.
SCORE!
So glad I revisited this thread.
I grew up on the Left coast, Crabpots and sourdough,
beer in a short paper bag,
In the shadow of the Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory,
(where I was once lost on a field trip... Willy Wonka it was NOT!).
Anyways,
The North East has some Kick Ass Food, Fried Clams, with Bellies
If you haven't had them, you should, at least once, it's so different from clam strips.
The Subs here would blow your mind, pounds of thinly shaved steak sauteed...
Man, Cali was good with the salmon and crab and veggies galore,
But Boston... Oh Man. The Food is so Good.
You can't imagine how good.
Especially the cheap non fancy day to day stuff.

But seriously, they wouldn't know a good sourdough if it jumped up and bit them in the ballsack.
Thanks!

Edit - Perfect, my old aquarium heater/thermometer combo was useless, now it's not.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Well, I did mine a tad differently... added half flour and half water, and set it outside for 2-3 days. Did one with whole wheat flour and one with white flour, as pure as I could find (unbromated, unbleached). Also did one using bread yeast. All 3 seem to be doing well. But I figured the ones using wild yeast would do the best, long-term...
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

And... me wonders how this would do in place of yeast in a wash???
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

F6Hawk, we seem to walk the same paths.
All the Best on your travels.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

Now that I think about it, since I am going to the store tomorrow to replenish my supply of Gerber Barley, I think I will start me a wash using SD instead of yeast. Should be MORE than enough nutrients.
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

F6Hawk wrote:Now that I think about it, since I am going to the store tomorrow to replenish my supply of Gerber Barley, I think I will start me a wash using SD instead of yeast. Should be MORE than enough nutrients.
I'm a "hoarder", lols.
Once again we think alike.
20130717_004637 (500x375).jpg
something fermented
Novice

F6Hawk wrote:And... me wonders how this would do in place of yeast in a wash???
I think you'll be surprised and amazed with the results.

My UJSSM is actually sitting on a yeast bed that came from my ginger beer SCOBY (GBP). I brew ginger beer fairly regularly, my GBP is a regular container on the counter that gets care and feeding. When you bottle condition / carbonate there's usually a skiff of yeast that falls out to the bottom of the bottle if you let it sit long enough.

On a lark I started using it in various brewing projects and it's been a pretty energetic performer for me. I don't push it beyond 10% ABV but I treat it as though it were bakers yeast. Never had a problem yet! :thumbup:
2" Boka + 50L Keg
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

something fermented wrote:
F6Hawk wrote:And... me wonders how this would do in place of yeast in a wash???
I think you'll be surprised and amazed with the results.

My UJSSM is actually sitting on a yeast bed that came from my ginger beer SCOBY (GBP). I brew ginger beer fairly regularly, my GBP is a regular container on the counter that gets care and feeding. When you bottle condition / carbonate there's usually a skiff of yeast that falls out to the bottom of the bottle if you let it sit long enough.

On a lark I started using it in various brewing projects and it's been a pretty energetic performer for me. I don't push it beyond 10% ABV but I treat it as though it were bakers yeast. Never had a problem yet! :thumbup:
Scoby Doobie Doo...

No but seriously... how does it taste? The GBP gone into the liqour?
Not like "It's Good"... I'm sure it is or you wouldn't do it.
Is there anything unique or different about the flavors?
Pure curiosity, nothing more.
something fermented
Novice

TDS wrote: Scoby Doobie Doo...

No but seriously... how does it taste? The GBP gone into the liqour?
Not like "It's Good"... I'm sure it is or you wouldn't do it.
Is there anything unique or different about the flavors?
Pure curiosity, nothing more.
It has zero ginger flavour.

The yeast slurry was actually used by a friend of mine from a finished bottle of ginger beer I'd given him to try and grow GBP from it as my SCOBY wasn't big enough to split. He did a batch or two on it, actually did a mashing of the grated ginger to get full starch conversion with malt from the home brew store. He and I have had this ongoing obsession with creating as clear an end product as possible. Ginger is around 50% starch and will leave unfermented starch in the bottom of your bottles. He and I regularly do iodine tests on the ginger beer to check our starch conversion while brewing a batch :P

Anyway, this yeast came back into my possession when he passed a fermenting batch back to me and I've just continued to put it to work. Trowing it into the UJSSM was one of those moments where I had an active starter sitting right there in front of me on the counter and figured WTF, might as well try it! It was that or bother with hydrating some bakers yeast with a bit of sugar. It was easier to open the Mason jar sitting there in front of me and pour it in instead :wtf:

I do think that the nose on this yeast bed is different that what you get off of bakers yeast. It's one of the things that I like about using GBP when making ginger beer. You get an end product doesn't have that bakers yeast nose to it.
2" Boka + 50L Keg
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

I mean this in the way that encourages the most investigation...

That's Fucked Up Dude.

You threw a composite organism yeast/mold and bacterium into a standard wash.
And you say it Rocked. And I believe you.

But any objective observer would have to agree,

That's pretty crazy.
:P

Props to you for your lazy visionariness!
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

TDS wrote:
blind drunk wrote:
SCORE!
So glad I revisited this thread.

Now I'm glad I revisited this thread. This GBP is an interesting approach. Kefir and Kombucha are interesting and I do love some ginger beer. This sounds like something interesting to play with. Thanks for sharing.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Black Eye wrote:
Now I'm glad I revisited this thread. This GBP is an interesting approach. Kefir and Kombucha are interesting and I do love some ginger beer. This sounds like something interesting to play with. Thanks for sharing.
I just bottled some kombucha and been making kefir like a crazy person for the last three weeks or so. A friend gave me 4 tablespoons of the grains and now I have about a gallon of them :shock: I make it fairly straight ahead and then add a bunch of freshly juiced ginger (to my liking) and a squeeze of lemon and lime. Tastes just like Mauby, so I'm tole.
I do all my own stunts
something fermented
Novice

blind drunk wrote:<snip>A friend gave me 4 tablespoons of the grains and now I have about a gallon of them :shock: I make it fairly straight ahead and then add a bunch of freshly juiced ginger (to my liking) and a squeeze of lemon and lime. Tastes just like Mauby, so I'm tole.
Isn't it remarkable how quickly they multiply? If you're feeling up to it, you should throw an add on craigslist as a free item or something nominal so folks who are looking can get a culture going. Depending on where you live it can be a chore to get things like this locally. I tried a batch of kombucha but the mother got infected and I had to toss it.

I'll admit, one of my goals is to be able to produce a Darn 'N' Stormy (traditionally made from ginger beer mixed with Black Seal rum with a squeeze of lime) based entirely on product I've made myself. I'll concede the lime and get that from the store, but the ginger beer I'm already making at home and I want to add the dark rum to that list in short order.

My issue now is the space to start keeping more washes going. If I start another wash where I need to propagate some component of it (dunder/backset) from batch to batch, I think my wife will do me in. I may have to get a friend with some space to keep the UJSSM and the molasses wash/dunder going for me. :shh:
2" Boka + 50L Keg
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Yup, gave some to a neighbor and giving more away on Saturday. I like your dark and stormy project :idea:
I do all my own stunts