hello...and a ?

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

FLNATIVE
Novice

hello...and a ?

Post by FLNATIVE »

New to the forum and just wanted to say hello!

Not sure where to ask this question (s), but ill try here.

I have a come up with a decent recipe/grain bill. Think im gonna try doing the sour mash this go around as opposed to tossing the grains after 1 ferment. Question is, how much will this change the flavor? Also, say on the third or fourth gen of mash could I add fruit to it for something a lol different? Also, can you take all you've collected on previous runs and add to wash in place of water on the final fermentation, or will that just kill everything?

Thanks in advance
SIXFOOTER
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: hello...and a ?

Post by SIXFOOTER »

Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do in the readers lounge.
As to your questions, No, don't add your previous output to the wash while its working, you can add it to the still along with your next run.
Sour mashing will definitely effect flavor as will any other additions you make along the way.
How much depends on how much you add of what.
FLNATIVE
Novice

Post by FLNATIVE »

I have been reading. I guess where I got a lil confused is the talk about backset or fients back into the wash. Think I got that part figured out now...its what's left in the still, not the tails of the run.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Backset is what is left in the still boiler. Tails will be collected after the hearts.
There is a glossary of terms in the must read new distiller trading lounge.

Now are you talking about an actual AG mash? Or are you talking about a sugarhead wash?
I'm assuming you ment a wash. Since you can't remash grains after they have been mashed.

You should find the UJSSM recipe in the tried and true section. Use this recipe and replace the amount of corn with your grain bill. Using the same amount as it calls for. It more. Not less. It's simple and all the instructions you need are there. After you read one the glossary of terms. In the must read new distiller reading lounge. You will have a better understanding.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
FLNATIVE
Novice

Post by FLNATIVE »

Thanks! Ill be checking out the thread with all the terms, but I now get what the "backset" is. I guess I had assumed it could be the tails... and putting them back into the fermenter would be a no no?

And has anyone experimented with adding fruit into the sour mash?
FLNATIVE
Novice

Post by FLNATIVE »

And yes the recipe is close to the uncooked sourmash method
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Backset will contain some tails. You can't collect all of them. But you also don't want to add what you collected to it. And if backset is to be used. Most of the tails should be collected. Down to around 20%. Some stop collecting when tails come on. If you do this the tails in the backset could mess with the fermentation of the next generation the backset is used in.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.