Few questions

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

fran151
Novice

Few questions

Post by fran151 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Dear Peanut Gallery,
I have tried my hand at some distilling from a book I bought off of uncrate.com. It is a great book but I am bad at following directions obviously. It did not turn out the first time and i am going for round two and in a larger volume. I boiled my sugar, water, honey, and corn for an hour and a half and then put it in the refrigerator because it got past my bedtime haha. Does this ruin it or can I bring it back up to 145 degrees, stir in my barley and wait another two hours like normal?
Thanks a ton I am from small town Montana and just picked up distilling as a hobby!
Fran
Flying by the seat of my pants!

plonklab
Novice

Re: Few questions

Post by plonklab » Wed May 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Hey Fran151. There is no reason that will ruin it. Personally I would go higher on the mash-in temperature depending on the amount of barley you're putting in cold. Enzymes will work fine up to 165f / 72c and gives you more time in the saccharification temperature range. Can you post your recipe?

ga flatwoods
Master Distiller

Post by ga flatwoods » Wed May 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Fran welcome to the forum. Please step over to the welcome center and give us a proper introduction. Your methodology is odd in that you stste that you boiled your sugar and honey for the entire boil along with your corn. The corn wasnt hurt by that long of a cook but I am sure the honey would have been better if added later. My suggestion would be to put the book down and rad the parent site here several times as well as the rules we live by. All you need is here as well as some excellent tried and true recipes that will yield a nice drop everytime when followed properly. Good luck and again, welcome.
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods

fran151
Novice

Post by fran151 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:07 am

Do you have the home distillers handbook? It is the first batch recipe he recommends.
Flying by the seat of my pants!