From Austin TX, Howdy Y'all

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chong Arak
Novice

From Austin TX, Howdy Y'all

Post by Chong Arak »

Hello Ladys and Gentalmen of the distillers forum,

This new obsession with distilling alcohol has started about 3 weeks ago, when i built a small worm pot still. Since then my collection of distilling equipment has grown into a 2 keg pot-stills with liebig condensers and a boka reflux on the way. So far my friends and neighbors have been very happy with the free yummys this project has yielded, without loosing their vision :crazy:

I would like to learn all about yeast and the fermentation process.

Thanks y'all for this great forum and community,

Jacob
thatguy1313
Distiller

Re: From Austin TX, Howdy Y'all

Post by thatguy1313 »

Welcome! Looks like you've done some homework already but make sure you read everything in the link in my signature. Lots of information. Good luck!
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Welcome Chong Arak, +1 on what thatguy1313 said. Enjoy the forums! :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Welcome to the forums. I admire your enthusiasm, but I would caution you not to speak too freely about your new hobby. There's a little slogan we use here, "Don't sell, don't tell". Both can get you in trouble - this hobby is illegal. All it takes is a pissed off neighbor to drop a dime on you. Just sayin'.

Good luck to you and stay safe.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Welcome Jacob,
I recently returned from a brief visit to Austin. Yall have a pretty cool scene out there and I got a chance to try some pretty darn good Texas whiskies.

Have you been over to Ranger Creek Distillery just down the road about 1.5 hrs away yet?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Welcome to HD Chong Arak -- I see, like many (myself included), you tore out the starting blocks like a bat-outta-hell. You acquired a whole lot stuff in short order. The problem I see repeated in this scenario is the equipment FAR exceeds the users abilities. I caution you to keep safety first in your mind. Your experience will grow but you can get in deep pretty quick. To use one of the most over-used phrases in today's world -- stay thirsty my friend.
hawgwrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hawgwrench »

Welcome to the show! Take a spell read what some of the heavy's here have experienced and writ down for us. Better off to read up on the mistakes they made and results they got before ya waste time an money starting a doomed project. Careful of who ya friends are man...one truth I know for a fact it people will run they mouth if given a chance. Ya can make up all the "water distilling" and "lawn mower fuel" stories ya want, if there's copper, corn an sugar in the same place aint nobody gonna buy it.
Patience....the early bird get's the worm, but the second rat get's the cheese.
mason jar
Novice

Post by mason jar »

Chong Arak wrote: ...about 3 weeks ago...Since then my collection of distilling equipment has grown into a 2 keg pot-stills with liebig condensers and a boka reflux on the way.
:shock: Holy crap man, you got more stuff in 3 weeks than I've picked up in 3 years! :D

I would echo everyone else's sentiment and say to slow down and be careful. I would say to master one
of your pot stills before moving on to a boka reflux. Those can be a bit tricky for a novice. Learn
to use that pot still. You will be surprised how good the product can be from something that simple.
Chong Arak wrote: ... i built a small worm pot still...
PIC's man we need PIC's! We all love to see what others have built so post some pics when you get a chance.

Welcome from someone not too far from you 8)
Have fun, read a LOT and stay safe.