foamy in Pa

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

buckwheat2016
Novice

foamy in Pa

Post by buckwheat2016 »

Hi all. Mike from PA. Been doing this for a while now enjoy it very much. Just purchased my first big still. 20 gallon copperpot. I have a mash question. Made a 16 gallon mash in a 32 gallon barrel and my floor looks like thw washer overflowed. the foam im losinggggg how much product will i loose and will it hurt the mash to leave the lid off till it settles down a bit?

Thanks
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: foamy in Pa

Post by HDNB »

Hi Mike, welcome!

sorry to hear about your luck. i guess you'll lose what you lose. have you seen the tried and true recipe section? they are tried....and true!
many questions can be answered in one post you can find in novice distillers. it's called cranky's spoon feeding tips, have a look it's worth your time.
too many variables to tell you how you screwed the pooch on this one, so take some time a read up so you can avoid the clean up in the future.

post some pictures of the new equipment, good eyes here will be able to spot defects and troubles before you have them and maybe get you some good operatining suggestions.

good luck!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
buckwheat2016
Novice

Post by buckwheat2016 »

I just have to figure how much turbo yeast to use with my grain and sugar mash. I did 20 # of sugar16 # of grain and12 tho turbo yeast maybe I used to much yeast any help would be appreciated
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Welcome Mike,
HDNB gives you some great advice. The welcome center is mainly for giving a little information about yourself, what you hope to make, what you have for equipment. Specific questions can be asked in the appropriate forum. Yours can be asked under the "new distillers thread", "fermenting". You should get more responses to your question. But, just gonna warn you, that you may be critiqued on your use of Turbo yeast. Unless, you are making fuel.
Enjoy the forums
Last edited by GrassHopper on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

buckwheat2016 wrote:I just have to figure how much turbo yeast to use with my grain and sugar mash. I did 20 # of sugar16 # of grain and12 tho turbo yeast maybe I used to much yeast any help would be appreciated
aah...thats it! after the first dose of turbo yeast, a few hours later you have to warm it up to about 90-95* F and add 4 cups of sugar and an extra helping of turbo. once things get going and you see some good bubbles from the wash, you'll know it's time to add to it!

dump it all in fast! :wink:

here, you gonna need this too, so you may as well have it handy:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =33&t=5200
Last edited by HDNB on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Mike, I am not going to pile on about the Turbo...........
Take a look at the the links in my signature and after reading them contemplate what you learned.
I am glad you are here.. There is a plethora of information here and if you follow it, a lot of heartache you WONT feel...
Relax, Read, and enjoy the hobby safely..

Carry On
RR
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here