new guy in AZ

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dflowers10
Novice

new guy in AZ

Post by Dflowers10 »

Hello all, thank you for allowing me to join! I am new to this hobby and having fun so far. I have an 8 gal stainless / copper that I have been having fun with, I have 3 batches under by belt. I think they turned out well but am no expert as of yet. I am in Arizona in the south east valley, anyone local please feel free to say hello!

Don
Last edited by Dflowers10 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dflowers10
Novice

Re: new guy in AZ

Post by Dflowers10 »

Hi All,

So what I have been doing is:

5 gal h20
8.5 LBS flaked corn
1.5 LBS 6 row malted / milled barley
10 LBS sugar ( can i add another 10 LBS to increase volume of final product?)
1 packet of 175 g (6.17 oz) classic 8 turbo yeast (20 % ABV)

I ferment in a 6.5 gal carboy with airlock for about 30 days, normally done in 2-3 weeks but like to let it settle for a week

I understand that this is about as classic as a corn whisky one can do ( + or - the sugar, you thoughts on adding sugar?) is this a good recipe to start to learn with? I would prefer to stay as traditional as i can, not really looking to do a pure sugar shine.

I aslo under stand by reading here that turbo yeast is not preferred, any suggestions on a preferred yeast and how much to use? I want to try an different yeast, just unsure of how much to use, one little packet or more?

I heat on electric stove top at high heat, should i use medium heat for slower boil?

I have produced 4-6 pints from 130 pr down to about 118 pr on last pint. Sound about right?

I want to make sure i am doing this recipe correct as i am learning before i venture out in to others, ( I want to make a Bourbon once i know what i am doing more)

Thank you all for the add to the group, any comments, suggestions, ideas, corrections are greatly welcome!

DFLO
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Welcome Dflowers10,
Glad to have you aboard. Yes, there are many suggestions, but this is the welcome thread and those questions can be answered by your own research or in the appropriate threads.
The main suggestion I would encourage is to stick with a "Tried and True recipe" which you can find under that title. I think the traditional guys here would not consider what you are making traditional.
But, I could be wrong. Just saying.

'These links will get you started in the right direction. Good luck, be safe, and enjoy the adventure.

New distillers start here: Cranky's Spoon Feeding "For New and Novice Distillers" http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
How to use the search tools: HD Google Search is your best friend!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 35&t=10331
Dflowers10
Novice

Post by Dflowers10 »

Cool, thank you very much Grasshopper! I will check out the links and continue to read forums!

Have a good one!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Welcome, DFlo, Grasshopper has given you great links to start with.
If you stick around and read up you will be able to make that bourbon in no time.

What you are doing now is close to the UJSSM recipe in the Tried & True. It's a huge thread, but if you start reading it you will learn much about how to do that recipe well.
If you're headed for bourbon, also check out the All Grain, or AG recipe threads. Not just for the recipes, but for the methods that are used to work with grains and malts.

Good luck, be safe!, and keep us posted.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to the forum, couple suggestions:
1. Turbo yeast has all the neutriants and most feel it's going to give an off taste thus I would not use it with your grain bill.
2. If your going to use malted barley no need to add sugar as grasshopper suggests use one of the recipes in the Tried & True as they are near bullet proof.
3. Most folks shoot for an abv of between 8-12%, when you go for quantity usually you are sacrificing quality. At first this is a tough one but as your stock increases you will want quality over quantity.

Good Luck and be safe!

Posting at the same time as MCH
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Howdy. I'm in Vegas if you ever need a hand let me know. I tend to travel but pm me if you need anything l.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Dflowers10
Novice

Post by Dflowers10 »

Hi Mich Cornhusker, thank you, I will check those two out as recommended!

Thanks for the tips Bushman!

Howdy back Pfshine! Thats for help offer, i will reach out if i get stuck!

You all rock!
MtnView
Novice

Post by MtnView »

Welcome. I am also in the Valley, and have been working on corn heavy all grain recipes. There is plenty of great info here. Welcome
Dflowers10
Novice

Post by Dflowers10 »

Hi MtnView. Thanks for the welcome.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Welcome!

Sounds like you're off to an OK start... turn that into an awesome start by using some of the Tried and True recipes we have here and you'll be over the moon with the results!
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Dflowers10
Novice

Post by Dflowers10 »

Thank you Mikey-Moo !