Hello from Pittsburgh

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Hello from Pittsburgh

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Hi all - Checking in from Pgh. Interested in mostly whiskey. Long time lurker. I'm a big reader, I have small library of old and new books on distilling. I've done some beer homebrewing but never got into in. Distilling though has me. Love it. I have a 5 gallon copper alembic still. Wish I had a bigger still but haven't gotten around to building one.

So what books would you recommend? I'm always looking to expand my library.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Hello from Pittsburgh

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Alt Whiskey by Derrick Bell.
Welcome, you are among friends.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Djorre
Novice

Post by Djorre »

Hey welcome,
You should pay a visit to belgium, a lot of beer brewing going on here
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Welcome SMY, yunz will be happy here! It is not a huge jump from brewing beer to consintrating it to fit in a smaller bottle. A five gallon copper alembic is all you need to get your start perfecting your own single malt. Enjoy!
I like Z-Bob's book by the way. It covers the basics nicely. There is a vast store of knowledge to be gleened at no cost here!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

just sayin wrote:Welcome SMY, yunz will be happy here! It is not a huge jump from brewing beer to consintrating it to fit in a smaller bottle. A five gallon copper alembic is all you need to get your start perfecting your own single malt. Enjoy!
I like Z-Bob's book by the way. It covers the basics nicely. There is a vast store of knowledge to be gleened at no cost here!
No cost to the end user anyway... but this website doesn't run on fresh air... please consider donating a couple of bucks to keep the site going... it's got to be worth the price of a decent cup of coffee once a year right?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
Hope you're enjoying the Parent site along with the forum ..
I have many friends and family in McKeesport, N Huntington, and Pittsburgh.
Vincent's pizza the best ..Dad was a lifelong Westinghouse company man in. Braddock Hills..Go Steelers, Pens, and Bucs..!
Good luck, and keep postn. :wave:
The Moonshine book by Rawley is a good starter.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Thanks everyone. I look forward to reading the books you recommended. Hopefully I can also help others. Mike - I'll gladly donate to keep the place running.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote:Thanks everyone. I look forward to reading the books you recommended. Hopefully I can also help others. Mike - I'll gladly donate to keep the place running.
Yay! Good on you :-) It's worth it just for the cool badge you get under your avatar over there -------------->
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!