Eric from NC

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Don Quixote
Novice

Eric from NC

Post by Don Quixote »

I've been an avid himebrewer for over 20 years, I'm a BJCP Beer Judge and now want to expand into crafting my own spirits. Figured I already have most of the equipment (grain mill, mash tun, fermenters, etc.) so it should be as simple as putting together a still and learning the process. Looking for advice on what the major differences are between brew mashing and fermentation vs the distilled type.

Cheers,
Cheers,
Don Quixote
La Mancha, Spain
Bushman
Admin

Re: Eric from NC

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to the forum, I edited out your name signature at the bottom of your post as home distilling is not legal in the US. Your experience will give you a headstart into the hobby. Good luck and be safe!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

No hops and lower strike water temp for lower mash temp for less unfermentable sugars and more fermenrables.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Welcome to HD Eric.

Your experience mashing grains will be a huge benefit to you here. And your experience with fermentation processes (and troubleshooting) will be a benefit to the forum as well.

Starting as a homebrewer myself (also a certified BJCP judge), I understand you're well ahead of the typical novice starting line. But still, I suggest you start by reading the mandatory threads, including Cranky's Spoon Feed thread linked in my signature.

With knowledge of the brewing and fermentation processes, you've gained a foothold. But you now need to read and learn the distilling processes. I would suggest that you read a while to better understand your individual goals before buying or building your distilling equipment. There are countless build threads here which will help you along the path. Don't get too far ahead of your knowledge and you'll finish way ahead in the race. "Haste makes waste", right?

Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

They will hunt you in nc.
All these other place they talk about no worries from the alphabet agencies ain't here.

So I'm tole
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

goose eye wrote:They will hunt you in nc.
All these other place they talk about no worries from the alphabet agencies ain't here.

So I'm tole
Take this to heart in VA and GA too .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

So I'm tole

So I'm tole

took me less than 15 seconds to find a picture of you on google just searching........... . i would delete that info in your signature. or an admin
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Welcome from Va.
I would suggest to look at the build threads and determine what kind of still would suit your needs. There has been 2 busts here as of late, 1 in my county and 1 next county south of me so I keep very discreet so that nobody knows. Only my son and my best buddy, I'd hate to see anyone doing this go to jail unless they are selling and putting a bad name on what we do.
Be safe, find your path and have fun!!!
Shine0n
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
Hope you are already having fun with this ...Beins you're in Spain, I couldn't tell you the laws there ..I have friends all around NC, from Weaverville, Morseville, Rockingham, to Lumberton, Wilmington, and Bergaw.
Good luck, DO the required readn, stay safe, keep postn.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!