Hi all. I'm new!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

ly44889
Novice

Hi all. I'm new!

Post by ly44889 »

Drilling shine has been a tradition in my family and as most of the shiners in the family has passed on, seems they took their secrets with them. So I'm on a mission to pick up where they left off, but without their knowledge which will be something I'll figure out myself. I know the taste since my father had let me "sample" some that he had towards his last run. And like the others, he took it to his grave and always told me "You don't want to get mixed in that mess, just brought the whole damn family problems". Well, I'll figure it out on my own and till I get it dead on, I'll just have to sample, sample and sample haha! I want to pass the tradition on to my almost grown nephews and nieces and especially my own son when the time is right. That way they can pass it on and keep a family tradition as well as the legacy of all shiners. "You put some love into it, oh you'll taste it!!" -my papaw
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi all. I'm new!

Post by jon1163 »

That's a great backstory. What kind of still do you have? What do you want to make?
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

To start, I'm just using a beer keg with a liebig with copper mesh in the column. Gonna run it 10 gallons.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

ly44889 wrote:To start, I'm just using a beer keg with a liebig with copper mesh in the column. Gonna run it 10 gallons.
Take the mesh out it will just slow you down in a pot still. What you filling the still with is going to make all the difference of what comes out the spout.

Welcome to HD

AC
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Sorry it brought your Pop "problems for the family." It doesn't have to.
Home Distiller is a great place to learn and there's some fool-proof Tried and True Recipes that produce some fine liquor.
Welcome, and hope you find your tradition here.
ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

Thank you everyone for the advice. I have a couple questions. If I add a thumper, which I would like to eventually, would I lose alcohol as it condenses while the thumper is warming up? Or would it vapor again once the thumper gets up to temperature? Also, if i do a second run, would there be mpre heads to dispose of on the second run also? Thank you
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

ly44889 wrote:Thank you everyone for the advice. I have a couple questions. If I add a thumper, which I would like to eventually, would I lose alcohol as it condenses while the thumper is warming up? Or would it vapor again once the thumper gets up to temperature? Also, if i do a second run, would there be mpre heads to dispose of on the second run also? Thank you
That's a very good question. Ask that in another forum other than the Welcome Center and you'll get an answer.
ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

Ok. Thanks so much. I'm new at this and didn't realize that :D
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole!
Yes you have paid your initiation fee here.
Time to move on to the always popular "Read Till You Bleed" freshman orientation.
You will learn a lot.
Find a recipe and study it. There will be plenty of mentors to help you through the process.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

Good deal. A little guidance is always Good. Thank you.